Thinking Of Buying 1995 Ls400 W/400k Miles

BjCaleb

Hey everybody,

I am new to the LS400 section. I recently sold my 99'GS300 a few months back and now I want to buy a 95' LS400. I found a nice one that is a 1 owner and it comes with all the service records but it has 438k miles. It was owned by an Executive and he took really good care of the car. Would you guys buy a car with all these miles on them or am I looking at putting out alot of money? These engines are just so impressive, I think this engine could go another 200k miles.

Thanks

The LS400 is an awesome machine, fine in just about every area. If, and thats a big IF, the car was well care for, AND the price is right(sorry Bob Barker) then I would not hesitate to make the purchase. However, if you dont want to be unpleasantly surprised, make sure that all aspects of the car were properly maintained.

Some areas of inspection are: frequency of oil changes, timing belt and water pump replacement frequencies, brake flush, radiator flush, ball joints, shocks, etc. This is just a small, partial list and is by no means exhaustive(oh yeah, check the exhaust system while you are at it :rolleyes: ) If you are not familiar with cars, then have a mechanic check it out for you. I also just bought a 98 LS400 from an executive and worked out a deal, prior to purchase, to have the local Lexus dealer do the required 60k service work and have the Lexus mechanic give it a once over. I also got to look at the underside while it was on the lift to check for rust and leaks. The Lexus dealer was very accomodating even though they weren't making anything from the sale other than the 60k service charge.

With over 400k miles I certainly would be leary. My "leariness" goes down as the inspections go up( without red flags) and as the price goes down. Not many people would even consider a car with this kind of mileage so you may well be in the drivers seat as far as naming a price. BTW, the gas tanks hold about 22 gallons of the expensive stuff and at what, $3.50 a gallon, it costs about $70. Also keep in mind that the LS400 is a rear wheel drive whereas I believe your ES300 was FWD. Take that into account if you plan to drive in Ohio winters.

Would need details of service history to offer opinion. You need a technician that is very familiar with these models to accurately determine what repair costs to expect.

Well I don't have to much information on the service dates and whats been done..I will find out tomorrow..But I can imagine a car with 438k alot of people would be ify...I am too in a way. But if it lasted that long and still is running strong. I know it could go another 100k. Just my thoughts

Also here is a picture of the car....Looks like it only has 50k on it.

Wow, just from the picture, the paint looks amazing for that mileage(not that mileage in itself damages paint).

It must have a lot of "highway" miles and I would bet the exec is a salesman. If the owner did all services,

the paperwork should be an impressive stack. I would ask to sit down and sift thru the entire stack

noting the frequency of oil changes especially. But many, many other things may and should have been

done also. Ask lots of questions, do a carfax(but this may not reveal anything and be a waste of money if a

one owner). Have the owner start the car when cold, stand at the back and look for a puff of smoke from the exhaust.

Take it out on the road and punch it. It should be responsive with no blue smoke out the back. If it does puff smoke, it may be

time for an engine rebuild.

If the owner had a Lexus dealer perform the service, contact the dealer, tell them you are looking to purchase and

ask for a verification of service records. Thats what I did and the dealer even printed them out for me. I would make a point

of finding out if the car had been in an accident. Ask the owner point blank and look for body shop receipts.

If it all checks out and you like the way the car drives and feels, make an offer. I will bet yours is the only one.

What makes me happy about a purchase is value.....getting alot for my money. Personally, I dont think I would offer

over a few thousand bucks, but that is up to you. If you could get the car for a few grand(or less), drive it for another

100k+ while enjoying the ride, I would consider that a worthwhile deal. You would also have bragging rights owning a car

with (soon to be over) a half million miles! Neat. :rolleyes:

The car looks great...but I'd be very cautious. I've driven an LS400 with mileage about like that, and while the car was in excellent condition you could tell in the way it rode that it had a lot of miles. Have the struts and suspension bushings ever been replaced?

What kind of price are you being offered compared to 95 LS' with more normal mileage?

Also here is a picture of the car....Looks like it only has 50k on it.

Nice looking car. I wouldn't pay more than a couple of grand for it though

The car looks great...but I'd be very cautious. I've driven an LS400 with mileage about like that, and while the car was in excellent condition you could tell in the way it rode that it had a lot of miles. Have the struts and suspension bushings ever been replaced?

What kind of price are you being offered compared to 95 LS' with more normal mileage?

I second that!!! i would have to assume the suspension bushings have been replaced, i don't think it could be drivable with that many miles on the originals. that thing would rattle-rattle-clatter-clatter-boom-boom-boom like Flavor-Flav's teeth at a rap concert, in Alaska! hahahaa...

At 400k miles, i wouldn't judge any book by it's cover, that's for sure. and seeing as how parts are getting more expensive as the models age....it's a gamble.

the stock stereo is now well over $2,000+ "for brand new from lexus".

Just have a dealership check it and look at the maintainence records. If you spend 2-3k on it i think that would be good deal. Drive this car and drive one with 100k on it. Take some mental notes and make your decision. If it were $2-3k i would buy it. Even IF it only lasts 30k more miles without any major probs thats still a bargain.

High mileage LS400's that have been taken care of are the best value out there.

Hey Guys,

The car is pretty good shape..Has alot of the service records...new tires...The only thing negative that the owner says is that it puffs out black smoke fromt he exhaust for a few seconds once it starts up after sitting for a few days...But it doesn't do it when its driven on a regular basis..I'm thinking about just putting in a re-built engine since the body is in good shape...I paid $3,500 for it.

Hey Guys,

The car is pretty good shape..Has alot of the service records...new tires...The only thing negative that the owner says is that it puffs out black smoke fromt he exhaust for a few seconds once it starts up after sitting for a few days...But it doesn't do it when its driven on a regular basis..I'm thinking about just putting in a re-built engine since the body is in good shape...I paid $3,500 for it.

Not a bad deal. That car is inspiring me to think that my LS is good for at least another 250K! Four hundred thousand miles is a lot of mileage, but with Lexus quality it may have another 100K in it, particularly if most of those miles were highway.