Theft Deterrent Lug Nuts

For the first time since I owned our 2000 Lexus ES300 I actually had to change a tire. My wife drove the car a llittle off the shoulder of the road and the jagged edge of the asphalt ripped a five inch hole on the inside sidewall of the right front wheel.

This happened about four miles from our house. So I drove there in another vehicle, swapped vehicles so I could change the tire, and sent my spouse home. The tire changing wrench, jack, and tire looked new and factory fresh. The special key for one star-shapped lugnut was in place. Guess what? The five star key did fit onto the five star anti theft lug but would not stay on. It behaved like a stripped screw just slipping out again and again. I called for Emergency Road Service, but they could not remove the anti-owner lug nut. Finally a third party did manage to remove the lug bolt and change the tire, but the special star key socket got stuck inside his wrench, so he took it with him.

Now I have no key. I have no desire to replace the key. I just want to get an owner friendly lug nut the replace all of the anti theft lugs on our Lexus. Other than making an appointment with a Lexus Dealer do I have any other options? This difficulty did produce a long and frustrating day!

I know exactly what your talking about! if your not delicate with the key it will strip. I just hammered a a star socket into the key and took it off. I took off all the locks. I don't ever want to be stuck on the side of the road and not be able to change my tire. I really doubt anybody wants my wheels, unless they are crackheads.

I know exactly what your talking about! if your not delicate with the key it will strip. I just hammered a a star socket into the key and took it off. I took off all the locks. I don't ever want to be stuck on the side of the road and not be able to change my tire. I really doubt anybody wants my wheels, unless they are crackheads.

I had the same problem, but it was at Costco. The tire guys couldn't get the lock off, so they used a torque wrench, turned the key too hard and broke the lock. Here are your options.

1. Go to the dealership and ask them to match the key for you and get a lock replacement. One lock and key is like $45. Afterward, go take off all the locks and lubricate the threads with antiseize or oil before putting them back on.

2. Hammer a star socket and get the locks off. I really wouldn't go this option if I don't have to. The hammering process can ruin the threads or bend or break them from the impact. Just imagine that you have to do this three times. The third party got the broken lock stuck in his socket and can't get it out. I don't think you want repeat this three times.

A little antiseize lubrication should be enough to avoid this problem. I would stick with the lock and key option to be safe.

I had the same problem, but it was at Costco. The tire guys couldn't get the lock off, so they used a torque wrench, turned the key too hard and broke the lock. Here are your options.

1. Go to the dealership and ask them to match the key for you and get a lock replacement. One lock and key is like $45. Afterward, go take off all the locks and lubricate the threads with antiseize or oil before putting them back on.

2. Hammer a star socket and get the locks off. I really wouldn't go this option if I don't have to. The hammering process can ruin the threads or bend or break them from the impact. Just imagine that you have to do this three times. The third party got the broken lock stuck in his socket and can't get it out. I don't think you want repeat this three times.

A little antiseize lubrication should be enough to avoid this problem. I would stick with the lock and key option to be safe.

Thank you for the advice. I want to avoid investing in another key. I have an appointment at a local Toyota Dealer. They have a Master set of keys. They will remove the star sockets and replace them with regular lug bolts. Alternately, I thought it might be less costly in time and $$ to get the star sockets off myself, then a trip to a parts department to get four lug bolts.

• 4 weeks later...
Go to your local Toyota dealer and get regular lugnuts. The anti-theft ones are no good.

Thank you. I did just that. The headache of maintenance delays because a repair facility could not find a misplaced star key are now gone. As is the trauma of the owner/operator being unable to use the key because it would not securely engage. It must be lack of quality or a poor design for the keys. They should be as reliable as a regular lug, but they are clearly not.

Go to your local Toyota dealer and get regular lugnuts. The anti-theft ones are no good.

Thank you. I did just that. The headache of maintenance delays because a repair facility could not find a misplaced star key are now gone. As is the trauma of the owner/operator being unable to use the key because it would not securely engage. It must be lack of quality or a poor design for the keys. They should be as reliable as a regular lug, but they are clearly not.

It just so happens that the security lug nuts are NOT manufactured by Lexus, but by McGard! You would really appreciate them after a thief tried to steal your beautiful alloy wheels and tires. B)

http://www.mcgard.com/automotive/

It just so happens that the security lug nuts are NOT manufactured by Lexus, but by McGard! You would really appreciate them after a thief tried to steal your beautiful alloy wheels and tires. B)

http://www.mcgard.com/automotive/

I agree! The fact that everyone does not have a key is definately a good thing! I don't have any experience with these because my Lexus did not come with them, but they are as reliable as a regular lug nut in the sense that it keeps the wheel on. Obviously there is an issue with the design of the lock if there have been multiple issues with it though.

• 1 month later...
For the first time since I owned our 2000 Lexus ES300 I actually had to change a tire. My wife drove the car a llittle off the shoulder of the road and the jagged edge of the asphalt ripped a five inch hole on the inside sidewall of the right front wheel.

This happened about four miles from our house. So I drove there in another vehicle, swapped vehicles so I could change the tire, and sent my spouse home. The tire changing wrench, jack, and tire looked new and factory fresh. The special key for one star-shapped lugnut was in place. Guess what? The five star key did fit onto the five star anti theft lug but would not stay on. It behaved like a stripped screw just slipping out again and again. I called for Emergency Road Service, but they could not remove the anti-owner lug nut. Finally a third party did manage to remove the lug bolt and change the tire, but the special star key socket got stuck inside his wrench, so he took it with him.

Now I have no key. I have no desire to replace the key. I just want to get an owner friendly lug nut the replace all of the anti theft lugs on our Lexus. Other than making an appointment with a Lexus Dealer do I have any other options? This difficulty did produce a long and frustrating day!

Go to sears and buy 4 sockets size 19mm and hammer them in place then get a wrench and force the lexus lug nuts off they will come off and you will lose the use of craftsman sockets ...(until you return them to sears for a total refund or replacement :) ) then go to ebay and buy some Gorilla lug nuts and install them they usually come with the correct wrench as a complete set .easy peasy.

• 1 year later...

Buy Gorilla lug nuts far superior to the lexus item and also buy a gorrilla lug nut wrench all available on ebay

I would not recomend to put any kind of lubricant on wheel lugs. Just clean them with a wire brush and maybe some WD-40 but thats it. Anti-sieze is a very good lubricant made with either lead or copper, even taking the nut or bolt to the correct torque, with anti-sieze you will be over torquing the bolt. And if someone uses a impact wrench on it you will snap the bolt. Just clean and torque.

Like Randy said you may have loose nuts :( or worst yet, no nuts at all. :o

Whether the locking lug nuts are used or not is a matter of where your car is parked and/or stored. If the car is on the street or in a driveway anywhere it probably makes sense to use them. On the other hand, stock Lexus rims don't seem to have a high degree of theft occurrence so changing out the locking lugs with regular lugs may be the best choice for some people.

If the tires are rotated every 5K miles as is recommended then the locking lugs become a pain, and are more likely to fail, over time. The first tire rotation on my RX saw the replacement with regular lug nuts for $2 each from a Toyota dealer. However, the car is normally parked in a garage within an enclosed area with a locked gate overnight.

I put some heavy duty anti-seize compound (intended for farm equipment use) on my truck's lugs and when new tires were put on the mechanic used a whole can of carb cleaner to try to get it off but couldn't clean them completely. His advice was for me to take it home and get the stuff completely off ASAP by whatever means that would work. The normal rusting and holding feature of dry threads helps keep the rims snug and properly torqued was his explanation. Even WD40 would interfere with that process.

I have never had a problem with the McGard wheel locks.

I am guessing that the little labyrinth key part that connects lug and key together isn't always ideal for the purpose. Most probably work fine like in my case, but when they don't work as designed, it is a nightmare.

I am going to go out and check the fit on the wife's RX400h and make sure we don't have a sucky lock like you guys had.

PS I too have heard good things about the Gorilla locks, but have no personal experience with them.

• 1 month later...

I always hand tighten my anti-theft lug nuts and I instruct all mechanics to do so vs using the impact wrench. You can get it pretty tight, and getting off wont break the key for the locks or strip the lock itself.

Bottom line is, if a thief wants to steal the rims / tires they will. There are plenty of ways to get them off without the appropriate key.

The anti-theft lug nuts are a good to ward off the lazy theives.

Hi,My Lexus didn't come with the wheel lock key,what can I do,order one maybe???..thanks!!!!

Many tire stores have locking lug nut removers, a reverse threaded, tapered socket that grips the circumference of the lug nut so that it can be removed with an impact wrench. Locking lug nuts are a great idea with today's expensive tires and wheels and McGards are considered by many as the best. If your tire store doesn't have one of these sockets, you can buy your own less for than $25.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/LT-40025.html

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,My Lexus didn't come with the wheel lock key,what can I do,order one maybe???..thanks!!!!

You can go to the dealer and get the key for your car. There are several different ones for each model so they will be able to tell you which one is on your car.

You can get the key separately from the set which comes with 4 lug nuts. Dont let them try and pull a fast one on you and tell you that you can only order the set. This is not true.