Auto Tilt Away Steering 95 Ls 400

10cracer

LS-400 Owners:

Is it true that you cannot disable the auto tilt away steering on a 95 LS-400, I called several Lexus dealer around my house and they all told me the same thing. This feature was available on 98 LS-400 or newer. My question is there any way to disable this feature? The reason I'm asking is because there are times that when I insert the key into the ingnition, the steer tilt will move a little, does not reach the preset position so I would have to reinsert the key again (sometimes it takes few tries) and it will go to the preset position.

How expensive is this to fix if the auto tilt does not function?

Please advice!

Thanks!

Phillip

do a search for this one. there is a simple fix for your problem that has been addressed. the wires are taped too tightly in your steering column and are tugging the connector out of it's seat. It's very easy to fix, just run a search for it. :cheers:

If you are talking about the up and down auto tilt it can be disconnected. On my 95 LS I placed the steering wheel in the position I wanted for driving and then disconnected the blue and white electrical harnesses that are plugged into a brown box which is located inside the car on the firewall just to the right where the steering shaft goes through. Once this is done the wheel remains in the set position and can't be adjusted. Mine still worked fine but I figured it would break sooner or later and was a feature I could live without.

If you are talking about the up and down auto tilt it can be disconnected. On my 95 LS I placed the steering wheel in the position I wanted for driving and then disconnected the blue and white electrical harnesses that are plugged into a brown box which is located inside the car on the firewall just to the right where the steering shaft goes through. Once this is done the wheel remains in the set position and can't be adjusted. Mine still worked fine but I figured it would break sooner or later and was a feature I could live without.

MLS:

Yes, that is what I'm talking about. Is it hard to get to the brown box? Do you have any diagram or pic?

Thanks!

Phillip

>just run a search for it...

If only it was as simple as that. When I search for 'auto tilt', I get 5 links, none of which refer to the problem you describe, and how to fix it. I'm guessing that if I get my head down under the dash somewhere, I should see some wires heading on up the steering column. I have a similar problem on my '95. If the wheel doesn't move into the correct position, it will always correct itself by pressing the memory button for the seat. I'd rather not have to do it at all though. Doesn't sound like a 'loose wire' type of problem either, because the wheel always moves into the correct position after the memory button is pressed. If there was a poor contact somewhere, you'd expect the problem to be a lot more niggly than what it is.

Nothing to remove, just look under dash where the steering shaft goes through the firewall and you can't miss it. Be sure to have steering wheel in desired position then pull both plugs out and your done. My car does not have seat memory so I don't if the wiring would be different on those models.

>just run a search for it...

If only it was as simple as that. When I search for 'auto tilt', I get 5 links, none of which refer to the problem you describe, and how to fix it. I'm guessing that if I get my head down under the dash somewhere, I should see some wires heading on up the steering column. I have a similar problem on my '95. If the wheel doesn't move into the correct position, it will always correct itself by pressing the memory button for the seat. I'd rather not have to do it at all though. Doesn't sound like a 'loose wire' type of problem either, because the wheel always moves into the correct position after the memory button is pressed. If there was a poor contact somewhere, you'd expect the problem to be a lot more niggly than what it is.

Actually, it is just that simple.. search "tilt steering wheel problem".

You do whatever you want to do, it's your car. But if you're curious, click on this link and check out the attachment in my second posting. Again, do as you wish, but here is what the brains who built the thing have to say about what's wrong, and how to fix it.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=steering+wheel

Nothing to remove, just look under dash where the steering shaft goes through the firewall and you can't miss it. Be sure to have steering wheel in desired position then pull both plugs out and your done. My car does not have seat memory so I don't if the wiring would be different on those models.

MLS:

Thanks for your advice! I have disconnected the white plug and yes, I don't have seat memory but that is ok. 2 Lexus dealers that I spoke to wanted to charge money for this.

Phillip

MLS:

Thanks for your advice! I have disconnected the white plug and yes, I don't have seat memory but that is ok. 2 Lexus dealers that I spoke to wanted to charge money for this.

Phillip

Nc, You Da Man... Always willing to help fellow lexus owners :cheers:

Simple, when you know what to search for. Bit frustrating trying to guess what sort of search string will get a link displayed that has the information you're after. Anyway, thanks for supplying that link. I might take a peek this weekend to see if I can tidy that bit of wiring up.

Interesting. I pulled the dash apart this morning and took a look at that bit of wiring referred to in the TSB. With my '95 LS, it looks as though that wiring change has already been made. From what I can tell, it looks like there have been no modifications to the loom, so I don't think anyone has made the mod for me some time in the past. The wiring to that sensor comes off the top of the loom, and there is plenty of slack whatever position the steering column is in. Looks like factory wiring to me.

Maybe this problem only existed in early '95s, or something like that.

Anyway, another thing I noticed was that if I raised and lowered the column too many times (using the manual adjusting switch), the motor eventually gave up the ghost on me. You could hear the motor start to turn, and then just run out of puff. Not very encouraging. The motor itself didn't seem to be getting hot. Perhaps there is a loose wiring connection somewhere that gets a bit hot if the motor runs for too long.