Es350 Broken Into..

iamhomin

Someone broke into my car at an Ikea's parking lot. The job was pretty clean, nothing was scratched, nothing was bent, and nothing "valuable" was taken except a lot of clothes that I left to dry clean (winter coats, sweaters, and pants), one of my books, and the my registration and insurance cards. I thought keyless entry cars were more difficult to get into, but I guess not..

Feels really grimy knowing that some sucker has my home address and my car/insurance informations..

es350ci2.jpg

A close up. There were a lot of grease left overs, and notice how the O-shape has cracked by the 6 o'clock mark.

es350aeo2.jpg

Anyone with a good guess as to why they stole the registration/insurance cards? Anything I should be cautious with?

Thanks and thieves suck.

Someone broke into my car at an Ikea's parking lot. The job was pretty clean, nothing was scratched, nothing was bent, and nothing "valuable" was taken except a lot of clothes that I left to dry clean (winter coats, sweaters, and pants), one of my books, and the my registration and insurance cards. I thought keyless entry cars were more difficult to get into, but I guess not..

Feels really grimy knowing that some sucker has my home address and my car/insurance informations..

es350ci2.jpg

A close up. There were a lot of grease left overs, and notice how the O-shape has cracked by the 6 o'clock mark.

es350aeo2.jpg

Anyone with a good guess as to why they stole the registration/insurance cards? Anything I should be cautious with?

Thanks and thieves suck.

Did you file a police report ? They probably want to steal your identity. Or attempt to...........

Were there any signs that thiefs are trying to start the enginer? Getting into car without a key is not difficult, AAA guys put a pry, inflate it with an airpump, and then insert a thin wire through small opening to unlock the car. This process does not damage or bend anything. I don't know if ES350 will open like that.

This suggests to follow the rule to not leave anything in open view, and may be always lock the glove box

Thanks and thieves suck.

Sorry to hear about that. I don't leave my registration and insurance in the car. I keep a copy in my wallet along with my driver's license. The reason I don't is specifically because it has my address on it.

Why would they want your reg/insurance: I hope you have still have your garage door opener. You might want to change the code on it even if you still have it. Depending upon the type of remote you have and how the codes work, the thief might be able to duplicate or clone the security and get into your house some day. If your remote works on 'dip switches' then change the code on the switches on both remotes and the opener. If it doesn't, then there are ways (I believe) to re-synch the remotes with the garage door in terms of the security codes they pass each other.

• 4 weeks later...

that really sucks. i gotta start locking my glove box i guess. The alarm only activates if the door was unlocked from the inside and the door was opened. Not if it was opened from the outside, seeing how the work is done on the handle.

change the locks to your house, and close all your windows for now. I agree, any garage door access from your car?

...........The alarm only activates if the door was unlocked from the inside and the door was opened. Not if it was opened from the outside, seeing how the work is done on the handle......

o, ok. well that explains it.