Hyundai Veracruz

Rx330driver

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do it think this can be comparable to the RX and would you buy one

• Yes, it is comparable to the RX and I would buy one
    • Yes, it is comparable to the RX but I would not buy one
    • No it is not comparable to the RX, but i still might buy one
    • No it is not comparable to the RX, and I wouldnt be seen with it

Sorry. have to chuckle here :D I don't really have an opinion about Hyundai.

But, if you sub the name Lexus for Hyundai, and Mercedes for Lexus, this thread would be right at home over at www.mercedesshop.com ;)

Steve -

You know I'm not arguing with you right? I'm merely suggesting that there's more than one way to market a product. I have a good analogy about doing things differently sometimes, but it's not appropriate for this forum - I think you get the idea.

I think it's AWESOME that you followed your passion in school then had the brass to start your own company. That's a really gutsy move & I have the highest respect for you. I'm not suggesting that you ideas & statements aren't valid.

I agree that false advertising is not only a bad idea, but a bad business decision. I wasn't suggesting false advertising, just clever advertising (IMHO). Ok - so you don't like the Camry comparison, replace it with an American vehicle (drove a Fusion last week - supprised it got over the hills along the Pacific cost) or just show a non-descriptive vehicle. If you & I were in an advertising meeting - you could have said something like "good concept - let's tweek a few things" or you would have said "next idea". If you're appealing to the masses, you need a broad yet simple concept. I never said the "Duh" campain was bad - Smooth1 questioned the appeal of it (if you look back - I defended the simplistic approach that appealed to the masses). I wanted to see what he would come up with - he's super creative & I wanted to see what he could do.

A few posts above you said this: Effective advertising first of all has to be true or at least have a grain of truth to it.

A few posts latter, you said this: Consumers don't seek truth, they just know lies.

Are you saying from a marketing standpoint, you need to advertise truthfully but from the consumer standpoint you look for lies to lead you, therefore the marketing efforts are defeted by being truthful? Can you please clarify for me?

Which part of the "Duh" campaine speaks to the truth seeking consumer? I think there are several ways to advertise, but I'm getting away from the topic at hand which is Hyudai compared to Lexus.

Consumers don't seek truth, they just know lies.

There are many ways to advertise, but there are certain truths that cannot be escaped and one of them is false advertising ALWAYS backfires. I studied marketing in college and started, ran, and sold a marketing consulting firm. Marketing is at the core of everything I do, and I'm pretty good at it.

Hyundai can never compare to Lexus, and the ads don't say that it does. In fact they say "Hey, its not a Lexus (or a BMW, or whatever), but it has a lot of features and its cheap!". Thats the basis for the whole ad, its genious. If the ad truly compared the Hyundai to the Lexus it would fail because consumers know thats a lie. Plenty of companies have tried it...and its always failed.

Thats why a campaign showing a broken down Camry would not be successful, consumers don't question Toyota's reliability. If you're going to design an advertisement that makes a statement like that, it has to reinforce a stigma that the consumer already posesses. All you can poke at the Camry about is being boring, and everybody else already does that.

The whole point of Hyundai's campaign however is that they're featuring luxury cars not their true competitors which are Toyota, Honda, etc. An ad featuring a midmarket car wouldn't fit in with the campaign.

Another thing I love about the ads is that they are POSITIVE! I love that. They are showcasing their product without denigrating their competitors! When is the last time you saw a comparative ad that did that?!?

Hyundai can never compare to Lexus, and the ads don't say that it does. In fact they say "Hey, its not a Lexus (or a BMW, or whatever), but it has a lot of features and its cheap!". Thats the basis for the whole ad, its genious. If the ad truly compared the Hyundai to the Lexus it would fail because consumers know thats a lie. Plenty of companies have tried it...and its always failed.

Have you seen the Motor Trend article where Hyundai askes for the 2008 Genesis to be compared to the Lexus GS? In fact Motor Trend does, and includes comparisons to the BMW 5 series, Mercedes Benz, Infinity M, Cadillac CTS, and the Chrysler 300.

Hyundai wants in the luxury market. Look at the Veracruz and tell me what they were looking at when they designed that SUV. Everyone knows that Hyundai has been modeling itself after Toyota for years. Remember when their commercials of a Hyundai accent following a Toyota Carrolla and a Honda Civic around for 100,000 miles?

The big "DUH" campaign? Yeah, that's gonna draw me right in.

Hit me with your best ad. slogan:

I guess what I have come up with so far is something along the lines of :

The commercial would start off with Robert De niro who just heisted the lost crown diamond of King Tut, and as he was making his way out the back door of the museum, a cop turns the corner and sees him coming out and yells " Stop!", De niro takes off running and the cop gives chase while talking into his radio calling for back up. The camera switches back to De niro as he turns down an alley and jumps mid wall into a parking garage, and there, before him is a line up,,,,Mercedes Benz C350, Infinity G35 sedan, Lexus IS-F,BMW M3, and the Hyundai Genesis. He casually walks the line of cars, then jumps in the IS-F and screams off into the night.

And as a kicker, the camera could switch to the cabin of the IS-F and Di nero would turn and say," What,,,did you honestly think I would take the Hyundai?".....

Well? what do ya think?

The big "DUH" campaign? Yeah, that's gonna draw me right in.

Hit me with your best ad. slogan:

I guess what I have come up with so far is something along the lines of :

The commercial would start off with Robert De niro who just heisted the lost crown diamond of King Tut, and as he was making his way out the back door of the museum, a cop turns the corner and sees him coming out and yells " Stop!", De niro takes off running and the cop gives chase while talking into his radio calling for back up. The camera switches back to De niro as he turns down an alley and jumps mid wall into a parking garage, and there, before him is a line up,,,,Mercedes Benz C350, Infinity G35 sedan, Lexus IS-F,BMW M3, and the Hyundai Genesis. He casually walks the line of cars, then jumps in the IS-F and screams off into the night.

And as a kicker, the camera could switch to the cabin of the IS-F and Di nero would turn and say," What,,,did you honestly think I would take the Hyundai?".....

Well? what do ya think?

Exactly :cheers:

Well? what do ya think?

:D Are you selling Lexus or Hyundai?

I have found in my years of business, no matter what your selling, if you want to be able to sell well, you have to believe in it yourself. Walter Dill Scott, one of the greatest industrialists of all time once said;

" Any person that can perceive a product or commodity in such a way that it becomes a level of emotion to him and to whom ever he imparts his picture, hence creates the feeling of desire, rather than the mere thinking of ought."

In the beginning of the industrial age, manufactureres were struggling to sell the products they made because nobody had changed the way they thought of fulfilling their needs. If they needed a new dining table, they would go out and just make a new one, nobody thought to "buy" one. So how society thought about products needed to change. Hence, marketing. And in fact,

what he is talking about is the fact that we all have needs. We need to eat. But we fill that need with steak or Lobster. Today, we mostly need a car to get thru life, but nobody "needs" a Lexus, or a Lamborghini. ( Actually, I do think I need a Diablo.LOL), which is why I think that Hyundai is on the wrong track with trying to break into the luxury class market under their own name. This type of buyer is not buying to fulfill a need of any kind and they are not masking it either.They are a patron of desire. It's not about the car, it's about the stigma of class, luxury, image, and reputation. I am not debating whether or not Hyundai puts a quality product on the road or not. I have never owned one. I only know what my perception of the company is, and what everyone I know around me thinks as well.

I'll get off the podium now.

Sorry. have to chuckle here :D I don't really have an opinion about Hyundai.

But, if you sub the name Lexus for Hyundai, and Mercedes for Lexus, this thread would be right at home over at www.mercedesshop.com ;)

Yep, it would lol.

You know I'm not arguing with you right? I'm merely suggesting that there's more than one way to market a product.

I never thought any of us were arguing with anyone...

Ok - so you don't like the Camry comparison, replace it with an American vehicle

That would work, but its a negative ad and its been done to death...

A few posts above you said this: Effective advertising first of all has to be true or at least have a grain of truth to it.

A few posts latter, you said this: Consumers don't seek truth, they just know lies.

Are you saying from a marketing standpoint, you need to advertise truthfully but from the consumer standpoint you look for lies to lead you, therefore the marketing efforts are defeted by being truthful? Can you please clarify for me?

I'm saying that an advertisement doesn't need to divulge truths, it just shouldn't say things that the consumer knows are lies. For instance, Chef Boyardee is not the tastiest food on earth, but the ads can show it as being the tastiest food on earth, as long as they don't say its better than Prime Rib. Make sense? They can say "But its a lot cheaper than prime rib!", which is true.

which is why I think that Hyundai is on the wrong track with trying to break into the luxury class market under their own name.

I completely agree. If they are going to compete in the luxury class market, there as to be a seperate brand. Look at the VW Phaeton, a good looking car, TONS of car for the money, but nobody shelling out $70k wanted to have it serviced next to a Jetta.

My guess is there will be a luxury brand.