What The Hell Happened

Ok here it is real quick I got 96 lexus es300 113000k. Drove the car this morning it ran great except that I needed new break pads. Ok this afternoon I decided to help some of my buddies out and pay them to change the pads and the oil while they are at it. Ok now tonight It's really hard to start the car It will start but stall out immediatiely and when I can get it rolling it has alot of trouble getting into a reverse or 1st gear (its gets up around 4000+ rpms before changing gears) it will sit there and idle and not roll forward. Also the check engine light is on now. Do you guys have any clue what my moronic friends might of done? Oh also were do I put new transmission fluid in, I cant find were to do it at. :( :(

just a stupid question

but if you can't find the filler neck

did you remove any transmission fluid?

if so then that is your problem

the filler for the tranny is the check level neck

remove the dipstick and then pour it in

you may have multiple problems

don't know where to start

but look for any unplugged sensors like the one on the intake hose from the air filter box to the intake manifold

Here is another dumb question, but I have to ask. Since you asked them to change the "oil", did you check that the oil is filled at the proper level (and that its clean)? Also check your tranny fluid and see what color and level it is at.

Thats what I'm afraid of, they added oil to the transmission...

You're probably going to have to get it towed to a mechanic, there's only so much we can tell you, and only so much you can check on yourself.

Could be just a loose wire or plug going to the ECU. If you can find the ECU, then trace the wires coming out of the box and look for a disconected wire or plug. Or just shove all the plugs you can find together to make sure they are tight.

OK now I think I figured out what happened they didnt drain the oil they drained something else Im guessing the transmission unless there is something else you can drain from under the car. I checked the level and the oil was way to high so what I want to know now is what damage may of been done to the car if it was driven less the 1/4 of a mile. I got the oil draining out now and sure enought there was like 9-10 q of oil in there. Oh and 1 more thing how much transmission fluid should I put in.

Thanks for all the help

Hmmm.....White smoke usually indicates moisture(water or coolant) in the combustion chamber. I hope you didn't blow a head gasket with all the racing of the engine. :o

Definately a learning experience though, I never let anyone do any type of repair or touch my car in any way, not to wash it, move it, change the oil etc that I can't come after if they do it wrong. Your buds may have caused real (and real expensive) damage, and there's nothing you can do to prove they did it.

I dont even trust myself to do it, because if I screw up, then its my !Removed!. If even a gas station screws up, then I can take them to court.

Does it shift right yet? There's any number of things that could have already happened to the tranny.

Look for the transmission dipstick, it's opposite the oil dipstick on mine.

here is where you find out how real your "buddies" are.

The double volume of oil probably caused a head gasket leak as was mentioned. Now you have coolant going into a combustion chamber. The cylinder head may be warped, but will definately have to be checked. The tranny most definately needs inspection.

I'm surprised 10 qts actually fit.

I would have a little sit down with "your buddies" and explain what they did. All parties are responcible. The best thing to do is have the car checked out by a professional Toyota/Lexus mechanic or an independent that knows Toyota/Lexus. Have it towed there, not driven.

You buddies should foot the bill for this. Here is where they step up to the plate. If they won't, lose them and chaulk it up to experience. Next time learn to DIY or take it to a knowledgable person/shop.

steviej

Issue is though, he said that he was helping them out by paying them to do the job, you can't get water from a dry stone...

I totally agree though, if they're your friends you can reach an agreement with them.