Almost Involved In A Huge Accident...

SW03ES

Just thought I'd share.

I was on my way home today about 3:30 stopped at a light in the left lane of a 4 lane undivided road. I was sitting there, on the phone when I happened to just glance at my passenger mirror and noticed a Buick Rondezvous coming to where it was going to graze me on my right side. I swung the car out into the oncoming lane (checked first, traffic was stopped at a light so no chance of getting hit) and he JUST missed me. So close in fact that I checked to see if he had lightly grazed me and I hadn't noticed but no. The guy was clearly either out of his mind drunk or had something serious going on medically. It seemed like he kept lapsing in and out of conciousness because he would start to drift into people and then correct. Somehow he was stopping and going with the lights without rearending people...don't know how.

Anyways I was about to call and report him to the police when he took off from a red light in front of me full throttle and drifted head on into two cars in the oncoming lane waiting to turn left. I stopped and another guy stopped and when we got into his car he was totally incomprehensible, had no idea where he was or who he was. The EMT's thought he was either having a diabetic attack or a heart attack, or he was on some sort of substance.

Scary stuff...

Good thing you scanned around your vehicle and noticed him in your mirror. I do that a lot when there isn't any car next to me, or behind me yet, and once there are cars there, I can relax more. :)

that sucks. i dont think its a heart attack of anything like that. He should know to stop the car with a heart attack. you dont keep driving when you feel your about to die. Probably under the influence. stay safe!

i hate those buick Rondevous'...

SW03ES, spider man? I have that spidy sense also, but only when it comes to what is going to give me heartburn. Glad to hear you and your car are ok, i didn't have your luck today.. got rear ended again.. but this time HARD... saw it coming to, but could not move.

*EDIT UPDATE*

Two Used Taillights for a 99 Mazda 626... $125

One Used Trunklid Already Painted to Match and installed... $150

Black Paint To Touch Up bumper cover... $7

Having your girlfriend use self tapping screws to attach the bumper and still have it look like nothing ever happened... Priceless

For some problems they're bodyshops,

For other ones, there's the grease monkey girlfriend.

LOL!

Yeah I don't think it was a heart attack either. I have plenty of experience with heart issues and the kind of lapses in conciousness generally aren't there. Could have been some sort of diabetic coma. Didn't seem like the booze or drugs type (mid 50s guy). A hospital was right up the road (it happened across the street from the rescue squad, handy) my guess is he was trying to drive himself there.

I definately got lucky.

Defensive driving man, I had already reacted before I ever even realized what was going to happen.

That's what I had in mind. Yes defensive driving. Especially here in American culture where a lot of people take driving for granted by putting makeup,eating, etc. I dont understand people "dont" have time to eat before or after driving but they have time to smoke at their destination. :huh:

Yep, you were very fortunate indeed. The way things are these days with drunk drivers out there at all times during the day and night, illegal aliens who drive without knowing how, kids who drive while phoning/gaming/watching TV, and my favorite Allstate insurance TV commercial talking about "Mr. Change-Your-Pants-While-Driving", none of us can ever afford to have anything less than 110% of our attention focused on what's going on around us whenever we drive. I always assume that the guy heading towards me is going to lose control and I plan accordingly.....

Nope, never did. Suppose I never will.

Yep, you've always got to have an out. For instace had I been all the way up to the car in front of me I'd have been screwed. You must ALWAYS have a way to move if you need to.

It was funny, it happened right down the street from my office, I had all kinds of people calling me to make sure I was okay after seeing me standing out on the street...

It was funny, it happened right down the street from my office, I had all kinds of people calling me to make sure I was okay after seeing me standing out on the street...

leaves a good feeling right? lol at least they dont hate you at work :)