Is Gs's Dash Due For A Technology Facelift For '08?

I fear I am losing my proverbial erection over this car. I went to the Chicago AutoShow yesterday and checked out the other Lexus sedans: the LS, IS , and ES all have an AUX input. I threw out my cassette tapes long ago, so that's sort of useless in the GS.

I'm guessing that the GS must be due for a dash overhaul. Maybe for '08? Anyone have any ideas about this?

I fear I am losing my proverbial erection over this car. I went to the Chicago AutoShow yesterday and checked out the other Lexus sedans: the LS, IS , and ES all have an AUX input. I threw out my cassette tapes long ago, so that's sort of useless in the GS.

I'm guessing that the GS must be due for a dash overhaul. Maybe for '08? Anyone have any ideas about this?

I don't have a clue, but I'm pretty PO'ed that they left out the AUX input in the GS350s...how do they inlude the AUX input and illumunating door sills in the IS350 but leave this out of the GS-es?...I never understood their thinking here..

the GS has one of the more technology advanced dashes of all cars. Plus the info screen / or navigation option. Definitely blows away anything in a BMW

Yes, but at least BMW's have iPod integration...and no useless cassette...

the GS has one of the more technology advanced dashes of all cars. Plus the info screen / or navigation option. Definitely blows away anything in a BMW

Yes, but at least BMW's have iPod integration...and no useless cassette...

ipod integration kit - $400 . or use the cassette to integrate it for $30.

replacing cheap uninspired BMW dashboard - about 10x that

ipod integration kit - $400 . or use the cassette to integrate it for $30.

replacing cheap uninspired BMW dashboard - about 10x that

oh, dont get me wrong. I am not saying I prefer the BMW dash. My point is merely it makes no sense in 2007 for the world's most technologically advanced hybrid to have a cassette in lieu of mp3/ipod connectivity. I am on my way now to test drive the GS 450h.

adaptability for the customers that prefer using the casette feature to connect the ipod or portable satellite units.

Who would prefer connecting their ipod or satellite radio with a crappy cassette adapter rather than a direct input?

Who knows why theres no AUX in but the dash was just redone in 06, it'll be a long while before its done again.

As for the cassette, Lexus owners complained when Lexus tried to do away with the cassette, so they left it in.

The ES still has a cassette if you have the navigation system and the ML (go figure). The LS still has the cassette, the SC does, the LX, the GX, and the RX does. So, the only Lexus with no cassette is the IS.

Go on Lexus.com and look at the interior pictures, cassette players on everything but the IS.

Keep in mind that just because there is a cassette doesn't mean theres not an in dash CD changer. For instance the GS has a cassette AND an in dash 6 disc changer

Who knows why theres no AUX in but the dash was just redone in 06, it'll be a long while before its done again.

As for the cassette, Lexus owners complained when Lexus tried to do away with the cassette, so they left it in.

SW, How is it that you know for sure that lexus customers complained about doing away with the cassette ?

dc, I read an article discussing the cassette at some point. Apparently a lot of Lexus owners like to listen to books on tape, and focus groups overwhelmingly showed people wanted the cassette back/left in.

dc, I read an article discussing the cassette at some point. Apparently a lot of Lexus owners like to listen to books on tape, and focus groups overwhelmingly showed people wanted the cassette back/left in.

Do you remember the source ?

Do you remember the source ?

Haven't the books on tape been converted to at least cd by now ?

Do you really think that these focus groups have that much effect on what lexus decides to do with there audio systems ? I highly doubt it. That is like saying that artists have a say in what color lexus paints there cars or what treehuggers want ther interiors made of ??? EEEHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Haven't the books on tape been converted to at least cd by now ?

The best way to buy books on tape is at audible.com where you download them and play them on your iPod. Reason #482 why the GS should have an AUX/Ipod jack and not a cassette..

I don't remember where, it was either in one of the car mags or it was in Lexus magazine.

Do you really think that these focus groups have that much effect on what lexus decides to do with there audio systems ? I highly doubt it.

Absolutely, I have been contacted and done phone interviews with independent polling companies about my experience with my car and the kinds of things that I'd like to see in later models. Lexus, and all higher end carmakers focus on what their current and target customers want through focus groups.

The best way to buy books on tape is at audible.com where you download them and play them on your iPod. Reason #482 why the GS should have an AUX/Ipod jack and not a cassette..

They sell em on CD too, its tough to teach an old dog new tricks though. Lexus average consumer is in the 50s in age range, not a whole lot of iPod users there.

I stopped off at a Benz dealer today and got to see the setup they have for iPods, talk about seamless!

im one who would fight for the cassette tape. i dont own any more than 5, but if i do come across one, then i would be able to listen to it. its more like a "if i ever get one" type thing. whats wrong with having it. they arent exactly obsolete. you can still find some in the 50 cents bins at the gas station :P

• 3 months later...

I agree the GS dash is a bit of an anomaly. On one hand, like the rest of the car, it is thoughtfully designed, sophisticated and high tech. On the other hand the presence of a cassette deck and no Aux input is hard to explain.

I purchased a fully loaded GS recently and was rather easily able to convince the dealer to throw in iPod integration at no cost in order to sell me thae car.

Most dealers, if they are being honest, will admit that this is a significant oversight on an otherwise stellar vehicle. I think Lexus engineers would do the same as well. If enough people use this as a leverage point in their purchase decision it may be more likely to influence Lexus to do something about it sooner rather than later.

(By the way one perhaps less than completely forthright dealer tried to explain this by indicating that the Mark Levinson stereo is so good that driving it with an iPod - which compresses music slightly and won't support surround sound - wouldn't do the system justice. If that is the case then they should omit FM and AM as well!! This same person tried to explain the cassette deck as something that many people still want for "books on tape". Hmmmm...)

This same person tried to explain the cassette deck as something that many people still want for "books on tape". Hmmmm...)

This is true, Lexus' focus groups have shown that a big group of owners want a tape deck for old tapes that they have and for books on tape.

As for the AUX input, your GS350 should have an aux input in the center console storage area like pcdg said.