Looking For Rock-bottom Price On New Is250 Awd

I'm new to Lexus and this forum and would greatly appreciate any help on pricing a new IS250 AWD. I took a look at the pricing guide on here and the invoice pricing information is very helpful. I'm looking to buy (probably without financing), am flexible on color and would be satisified to get a car with no or very few options. I'd like to pay around $30K and have seen on some forums that folks in California and NJ have been able to do so. Here in NY, we've had a mild winter, so there are scads of AWD cars in inventory -- not only this model, but Audi A4, Mercedes C280, BMW xi, etc. While I have a high regard for Lexus, I'm not locked in to the brand. If the price isn't low enough, I'm prepared to walk for a deal on one of those other cars or even a Subaru Outback.

As I've talked to some dealers, I've gotten the usual song and dance about scarcity, Lexus quality, etc., etc. I'd like to find a dealer that simply wants my business and is willing to offer a rock-bottom price that allows for some modest profit and minimal haggling from a customer (or am I dreaming?).

One other question before I end my post: Why have no IS250s been crash-tested? The car is for my wife and I'm concerned about safety.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm new to Lexus and this forum and would greatly appreciate any help on pricing a new IS250 AWD. I took a look at the pricing guide on here and the invoice pricing information is very helpful. I'm looking to buy (probably without financing), am flexible on color and would be satisified to get a car with no or very few options. I'd like to pay around $30K and have seen on some forums that folks in California and NJ have been able to do so. Here in NY, we've had a mild winter, so there are scads of AWD cars in inventory -- not only this model, but Audi A4, Mercedes C280, BMW xi, etc. While I have a high regard for Lexus, I'm not locked in to the brand. If the price isn't low enough, I'm prepared to walk for a deal on one of those other cars or even a Subaru Outback.

As I've talked to some dealers, I've gotten the usual song and dance about scarcity, Lexus quality, etc., etc. I'd like to find a dealer that simply wants my business and is willing to offer a rock-bottom price that allows for some modest profit and minimal haggling from a customer (or am I dreaming?).

One other question before I end my post: Why have no IS250s been crash-tested? The car is for my wife and I'm concerned about safety.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Regarding the crash testing, there is a thread in here about Australia doing a crash test on an IS250, and I believe it got the highest rating. It's just the good-ole USA that hasn't done it yet.

I paid around $33,000 for my car. When I looked this weekend at new ones, I notice they've gone up to $35,000 for the same car, same packages. I don't know how lucky you'll get to find one at $30k. If you do, I'd say it's a good thing! Good luck.

Unfortunately most Lexus dealers aren't price match dealers, and they're not going to be interested in your business if its going to loose them money to get it. Buying a luxury car is a little different than buying something like an Outback, supply and demand come more into play. Looking at the invoices on base IS250s your goal of $30k should be possible for the dealer, you've just got to find one willing to deal with you.

Have you tried broker sites like www.fleetrates.com. I probably will get my next car through FleetRates. They have a model there at $30,975.

You have the best dealer right around the corner from you. Have you been to Rallye? Haven't seen anyone pay $30k. That is below invoice on a AWD 250 by about $2000. So there is no modest profit. The cars in your area come with an MSRP of $36000 + . Expect to pay over $32.

And there is more to a deal then price. Lastly Lexus quality isn't a song and a dance. Its all factual. More so then any other car you are looking out. I would call John Capozzi @ Rallye . He is the internet manager,

Unfortunately most Lexus dealers aren't price match dealers, and they're not going to be interested in your business if its going to loose them money to get it. Buying a luxury car is a little different than buying something like an Outback, supply and demand come more into play. Looking at the invoices on base IS250s your goal of $30k should be possible for the dealer, you've just got to find one willing to deal with you.

Have you tried broker sites like www.fleetrates.com. I probably will get my next car through FleetRates. They have a model there at $30,975.

[/quo

As far as Fleet Rates or any company like that beware. There selling something they don't have. They get the customer first then they try and find a car. They have 207 Lexus listed in there inventory. Lexus dealers are not allowed to sell to another company for re-sale unless the end user is immediately known. So they don't actually have the cars and may not be able to obtain one for you. I handle alot of Fleet business and usually the brokers make more $ then the dealer would retail,while giving a 1/10 of the service.

Thanks for the info. I'm curious about your comment on price matching. I've bargained hard in the past on an Infiniti, BMW, Audi, Saab and two Porsches, and have bought from dealers willing to be flexible. Are you saying that Lexus dealers aren't as accommodating? I'm interested in knowing because if they aren't willing to deal, I'll simply work with another brand and not waste my time with Lexus. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

You have the best dealer right around the corner from you. Have you been to Rallye? Haven't seen anyone pay $30k. That is below invoice on a AWD 250 by about $2000. So there is no modest profit. The cars in your area come with an MSRP of $36000 + . Expect to pay over $32.

And there is more to a deal then price. Lastly Lexus quality isn't a song and a dance. Its all factual. More so then any other car you are looking out. I would call John Capozzi @ Rallye . He is the internet manager,

Thanks. I've heard some good comments about Rallye. I was surprised that most of the Long Island dealers other than Rallye have a fair amount of complaints to the Better Business Bureau. I did message Rallye on price and the best they say they can do is $33,500. I think I can do better.

My "song and dance" comment was addressing the sales people, not the car. In my brief face-to-face and e-mail contacts with a number of Lexus folks, I haven't found them to be any different or better than the sales people with other makes. Yesterday, one guy tried to tell me that the IS250 takes regular gas. I was also surprised to hear that his dealership doesn't give loaner cars for oil changes. You have to wait around for a couple hours. My Mazda dealer gives free loaners and free oil changes for a $22K Tribute. In fairness to Lexus, though, I'm sure the dealer service is better than Porsche, which has to be the worst relative to dollars spent on the car.

I'm just saying luxury car dealers are less likely to take a price you get from an out of area dealer and honor it, due to the fact that they move their inventory faster than midmarket dealers who stock a lot more.

I think probably the only car company experience you've listed that is comparable to buying this model Lexus is BMW. What BMW did you purchase? Infiniti, Audi, Porsche, Saab all hold on to inventory longer (less demand). You can walk into those dealers and pay invoice all day long. Not so for Lexus or BMW.

As far as Fleet Rates or any company like that beware. There selling something they don't have. They get the customer first then they try and find a car. They have 207 Lexus listed in there inventory. Lexus dealers are not allowed to sell to another company for re-sale unless the end user is immediately known. So they don't actually have the cars and may not be able to obtain one for you. I handle alot of Fleet business and usually the brokers make more $ then the dealer would retail,while giving a 1/10 of the service.

I've never used them but this is how it was explained to me. You don't purchase the car from them, you tell them what you want and they will find it and negotiate for it with the Lexus dealers they have in their database, and then process the purchase for you with them. They're purely a middleman.

Again, like I said I have no experience with them. I personally still value customer service and I have a good salesman I like.

And also BTW, my statement that $30k should be do-able was purely for RWD IS250s. That won't be possible on an AWD car, it would have to be used. The dealer would be loosing money of they sold an AWD IS250 for $30k.

My "song and dance" comment was addressing the sales people, not the car. In my brief face-to-face and e-mail contacts with a number of Lexus folks, I haven't found them to be any different or better than the sales people with other makes. Yesterday, one guy tried to tell me that the IS250 takes regular gas. I was also surprised to hear that his dealership doesn't give loaner cars for oil changes. You have to wait around for a couple hours. My Mazda dealer gives free loaners and free oil changes for a $22K Tribute. In fairness to Lexus, though, I'm sure the dealer service is better than Porsche, which has to be the worst relative to dollars spent on the car.

It totally depends on the dealership, they are all independently owned. I do however believe you can put regular gas in an IS250.

See thats just it, Rallye Lexus told you $33,500 and they will let you walk instead of selling the car for little to no profit. Thats the difference between buying a Lexus and buying a Toyota. You have to decide, good service isn't free. Is that $33,500 for an AWD 250?

Correct these middlemen buy the car generally for $500-$1000 same price a savy shopper can get on their on. They then usually tack on atleast another $500 more for themselves. When your ready you let me know. I will get you the best deal.

That may totally be the case.

I will definately let you know when the time comes ;)

I was in a nearly identical situation at year end. I test drove many of the same cars as you and came to the conclusion that I wanted the IS 250 AWD. Sticker price on my car was just under $36,000, and I wanted to pay invoice, which I think was somewhere between 30-31. The conversation went something like this.... REP: "We sell them at MSRP. There are no discounts available." After a 20 minute test drive... REP: "How'd you like it?" ME: "I like everything but the price." REP: "We could drop it by around $1800." How silly is that??? Fast forward 5 days with the same guy. ME: "I stopped by another dealer and told them I would buy a car this week for cash. They beat your price by $1000." (Which was true). "I'd like to buy it tomorrow, but I need to pay still less... $32,000 is as high as I will go." REP: "That's impossible". ME: "OK, I'll continue shopping, thanks for your time." Surprisingly, he called me back in less than 5 minutes and agreed to sell the car at my price. I picked it up the next day. He also gave me $1000 more for my trade, even though he knew what the other dealer offered. I'll never figure that out. There are 4 dealers within a reasonable drive, all owned by just two companies, so I didn't have much bargaining room either. They had 8 cars on the lot- not a huge inventory, but it was year end, which helped. I'd suggest you stick with a price. Someone will probably come to you near month end if things are slow. For what it's worth, I started shopping in mid-December. By year end, ALL of the sales reps from Lexus, BMW, Acura, Audi and Lincoln hounded me with last minute calls. It may not be possible to get a sub-invoice deal, but you can probably come close.

I bought my AWD in upstate at New Country and they were great and continue to be service wise. I got mine listed at $37,900 for $34,000 before tax. Mine has several options including Nav so I was happy with the price. I would think $30k will be tough, and no way to do that after tax. You could always consider a "Demo" which might get you closer and still have all the perks of a new car.