2009 Lexus Rx Suv Rumors

Rumors of an unveiling at the 2007 Tokyo auto show, with it arrival in US showrooms in spring of 2008.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Featu...rticleId=116536

It's amazing that with the price of gas, auto manufacturers still feel the need to make bigger, faster, heavier, and thirstier vehicles. I believe it would be a huge mistake if the future hybrid RXs are larger and get poorer fuel mileage. Give us a hybrid van that is much more efficient than a 3-ton SUV.

By the way, the new Acura RDX (smaller version of the MDX) was recently tested by Road and Track magazine. It averaged 13.2 MPG. When is Honda going to wake up and notice how poorly the Mazda CX-7 is selling. Yes, they both are faster than most SUVs, but average mileage is going down and THAT is very bad timing for the US. Okay, I'll get off my soap box now.

"A hybrid model is guaranteed to be part of the mix as well, although this time it may be reserved for seven-passenger models only. Utilizing a blend of electric motors and the more powerful 3.5-liter V6, the next-generation RX hybrid should have more than enough power to deal with the added weight of two extra passengers."

Better fuel mileage could happen if they are somehow able to lighten a larger, 7-passenger SUV; this I gotta see!

• 1 year later...

Any update on the new RX? It seems to be delayed until 2009. this site below seems to have most info.

http://community.myride.com/kickapps/servi...282&as=3898

Some highlights:

"The next RX is currently set to be offered in 2 versions, the standard 5 passenger (similar to todays RX) and the long wheelbase 7 passenger version. There are fully produced versions of each driving around in the US today. Next, the 6-Speed transmission will make it to the next RX. And finally, the RX will get a boost in power to bring it around the 300hp mark. This is done with improvements to the current engine of the RX350, not a new engine.

"The interior of the RX will be all new – the dash pushed much farther forward to open up the cabin. The LCD screen is also being super sized to a whopping 9 inches! Now that caused a problem – the LCD was too far away to reach. So Lexus did a lot of research and came up with a very Apple like answer. The next RX WILL (yes WILL, not might or should) have a touch-pad located between the front two seats (near todays cup holders) that navigates a pointer on the larger 9 inch main screen. It's like reaching down to grab your mouse on your computer – easy to do without looking at where your fingers are. The RX will also be available with 20-inch tires (smaller 18-inches will be standard)."

It seems nice, but I don't know if I can wait that long -- this site says it won't be out until SPRING 2009.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/pf/Enthusi...178.A13214.html

"The RX will be undergoing a major update for the 2009 model year, with production beginning in late December of 2008, toward an on-sale date of early spring of 2009."

and some more info:

http://thepassionatepursuit.com/category/rx400h/

This is exactly why I pulled the trigger last weekend and bought a 2008 RX400 (AWD, Bamboo, Ivory). I was concerned it would go the way of the Highlander with a bigger, heavier SUV that at best will operate at the current EPA ratings, most likely lower. I do like the sleek designs in the illustrations so it looks like they are trying to stay away from the small truck look of the Highlander. I actually thought the current 400h is as fast in 0-60 as the Porsche Cayanne. A v8 might make is comparable to the Cayanne S.

Actually, according to Car & Driver, the 2006 long-term RX400h that they have IS faster than a Porsche Cayenne S. The RX accelerated to 60 in 6.7 seconds.

I know there are still tons of power/motor heads out there ... and forgivness please if any are offended ... but sheez! Every oilie expert under the sun nowdays is telling us that the resource is on the decline. Some have even been saying so for quite a while. Even from the mouth of Texas Oilman T. Boone Pickens, we hear there is a shortfall of billions of barells of oil per year that we can't meet, and it's getting worse:

http://www.peakoil.net/BoonPickens.html

So Lexus (and other manuacturers) think it's ok to spit out cars w/ worse mpg? And they're fighting higher mpg regulations?

(shaking head)

I know there are still tons of power/motor heads out there ... and forgivness please if any are offended ... but sheez! Every oilie expert under the sun nowdays is telling us that the resource is on the decline. Some have even been saying so for quite a while. Even from the mouth of Texas Oilman T. Boone Pickens, we hear there is a shortfall of billions of barells of oil per year that we can't meet, and it's getting worse:

So Lexus (and other manuacturers) think it's ok to spit out cars w/ worse mpg? And they're fighting higher mpg regulations?

(shaking head)

They would stop building them very shortly after WE stop buying them.

Wow...wwest said something that makes sense! Good lord!

Thats absolutely true. Toyota is just a company making a product that the consumer wants. If they don't make it, other carmakers will. What needs to change is what the consumer wants.

This thread is a discussion about the new RX, which is what everyone who has posted in it has done, discuss the new RX. Discussing marketability and things like that are just fine.

Please leave the moderating to us.

Any update on the new RX? It seems to be delayed until 2009. this site below seems to have most info.

http://community.myride.com/kickapps/servi...282&as=3898

Some highlights:

"The next RX is currently set to be offered in 2 versions, the standard 5 passenger (similar to todays RX) and the long wheelbase 7 passenger version. There are fully produced versions of each driving around in the US today. Next, the 6-Speed transmission will make it to the next RX. And finally, the RX will get a boost in power to bring it around the 300hp mark. This is done with improvements to the current engine of the RX350, not a new engine.

"The interior of the RX will be all new – the dash pushed much farther forward to open up the cabin. The LCD screen is also being super sized to a whopping 9 inches! Now that caused a problem – the LCD was too far away to reach. So Lexus did a lot of research and came up with a very Apple like answer. The next RX WILL (yes WILL, not might or should) have a touch-pad located between the front two seats (near todays cup holders) that navigates a pointer on the larger 9 inch main screen. It's like reaching down to grab your mouse on your computer – easy to do without looking at where your fingers are. The RX will also be available with 20-inch tires (smaller 18-inches will be standard)."

It seems nice, but I don't know if I can wait that long -- this site says it won't be out until SPRING 2009.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/pf/Enthusi...178.A13214.html

"The RX will be undergoing a major update for the 2009 model year, with production beginning in late December of 2008, toward an on-sale date of early spring of 2009."

and some more info:

http://thepassionatepursuit.com/category/rx400h/

I'm not moderating. I'm making a suggestion that posts in a thread actually involve the topic in a thread title. None of these comments bear even remotely on the new RX 2009. Enjoy the oil discussion free-for-all. The OTHER lexus forum has a more informative discussion that is actually about the *2009* *RX* info.

This is exactly why I pulled the trigger last weekend and bought a 2008 RX400 (AWD, Bamboo, Ivory). I was concerned it would go the way of the Highlander with a bigger, heavier SUV that at best will operate at the current EPA ratings, most likely lower. I do like the sleek designs in the illustrations so it looks like they are trying to stay away from the small truck look of the Highlander. I actually thought the current 400h is as fast in 0-60 as the Porsche Cayanne. A v8 might make is comparable to the Cayanne S.
Actually, according to Car & Driver, the 2006 long-term RX400h that they have IS faster than a Porsche Cayenne S. The RX accelerated to 60 in 6.7 seconds.

(shaking head)

(shaking head)

They would stop building them very shortly after WE stop buying them.

Wow...wwest said something that makes sense! Good lord!

Thats absolutely true. Toyota is just a company making a product that the consumer wants. If they don't make it, other carmakers will. What needs to change is what the consumer wants.

:chairshot:

I think some of his comments make sense; it's just that they are on a level that is a bit beyond most of us.:cheers:

This thread is a discussion about the new RX, which is what everyone who has posted in it has done, discuss the new RX. Discussing marketability and things like that are just fine.

Please leave the moderating to us.

The OTHER lexus forum has a more informative discussion that is actually about the *2009* *RX* info.

Then go post on the "other" Lexus forum. We don't stifle our member's viewpoints and encourage active discussion here. The only person dragging this off-track is you. If you prefer being told what to talk about all the time then by all means.

No more, if you have criticism or suggestions make them in such a way that does not detract from active discussions being enjoyed by our members (meaning in private or in the suggestions and feedback forum)

The OTHER lexus forum has a more informative discussion that is actually about the *2009* *RX* info.

Then go post on the "other" Lexus forum. We don't stifle our member's viewpoints and encourage active discussion here. The only person dragging this off-track is you. If you prefer being told what to talk about all the time then by all means.

No more, if you have criticism or suggestions make them in such a way that does not detract from active discussions being enjoyed by our members (meaning in private or in the suggestions and feedback forum)

Ditto

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if that's what it'll look like, but after three years of customer complaints, if they can't even get rid of that antique mechanical key (put in a SKS for God's sake :lol: ) and rewire the lighting so that the auxilary battery isn't subjected to over draining ... then Lexus Exec's deserve a big rasberry.

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't expect too much in terms of re-designing its problems like electrical system. It's done in Japan and they really don't care what American's think-they don't even drive this car.

Wow, I guess I'm not following your logic:

"they don't even drive this car" would mean that Lexus is primarily building it for . . . . what, the U.S. ? ... the rest of the world? If Japanese aren't building it for us, wouldn't that mean just the opposite? . . . that they'd WANT to do it right for their customers, whom ever they are?

After working in Tokyo for a few months, I found very FEW people drive there ... opting instead for public transportation. So one could say that Japan's autos are primarily made for 'other' markets. Further, I doubt that Toyota/Lexus got to be #1 in world sales last year by taking a, "really don't care what American's think" attitude, really.