Windshield Crack

Kutten

A rock just bounced off my RX330 windshield yesterday, leaving a small-sized chip right in front. I do not want to replace the windshield with a brand new one. What are my options to fix it, so it won't get spread. Thanks!!

A rock just bounced off my RX330 windshield yesterday, leaving a small-sized chip right in front. I do not want to replace the windshield with a brand new one. What are my options to fix it, so it won't get spread. Thanks!!

take it to an automotive glass shop and ask about their epoxy repair system.

but sometimes if the chip isn't deep enough it's best to leave it alone.

Check with your insurance company many will fix a chip for free so they don't have to replace the windshield with a claim. Farmers does this.

Jeff

Mine is also Farmers Insurance. I am worried if they would count this as a claim later on? Thanks!!

Check with your insurance company many will fix a chip for free so they don't have to replace the windshield with a claim. Farmers does this.

Jeff

Mine is also Farmers Insurance. I am worried if they would count this as a claim later on? Thanks!!

I am an insurance agent for about 9 companies. Farmer’s is one of them. I would not be concerned about a comp claim. I filed one for a chip in my window about 6 months ago. Comp claims really do not count against you...when you are shopping for rates comp claims and especially ones under $1000 barley affect the premium at all. They should not affect your rate at all with your current carrier, existing business. That does vary state to state. :lol: :D

last year this happened to me. i got an estimate from lexus...almsot 3K so i spent 400 dollars for lexus to close up the hole. You can barely see it.

$400 to close up the hole! Good god you got shafted! A new aftermarket windshield doesn't even cost $400 installed!

For that you should have put the claim in and let your insurance totally replace the windshield with Lexus glass...

Even a Lexus windshield glass is only $400-$1000. $3k??!? Change dealers. Those guys a crooks.

Wow...

last year this happened to me. i got an estimate from lexus...almsot 3K so i spent 400 dollars for lexus to close up the hole. You can barely see it.

$400 to close up the hole! Good god you got shafted! A new aftermarket windshield doesn't even cost $400 installed!

For that you should have put the claim in and let your insurance totally replace the windshield with Lexus glass...

Even a Lexus windshield glass is only $400-$1000. $3k??!? Change dealers. Those guys a crooks.

Wow...

Yea...I don't know how I missed that one! :chairshot:

3K for a windshield...that is nuts!

I haven't put glass in the ES, but I did put 2 windshields in my dad's LS400 and he's put one or two in his LS430. The glass from lexus for the LS was $700, and thats the double thick glass for the LS! So lets say the glass for the RX is $1,000 (its not as thick, but its bigger), that means they wanted $2,000 to install it, thats 20 hours of $100 per hour Lexus labor. Almost an entire day for what can be done in your driveway in 45 minutes! Thats outright robbery.

lol i know it was bad, but im one of those "go to the dealer" guys when ever theres a problem. Theres no way i could do it myself, or trust an auto shop to do it for me. money well spent though right? :P

its funny how you say i got shafted cause i really trust my rep. He always discounts me with coupons i dont give him and gives me free air filters. someone do me a favor and ask their rep how much it would cost to change the windshield!

lol i know it was bad, but im one of those "go to the dealer" guys when ever theres a problem. Theres no way i could do it myself, or trust an auto shop to do it for me. money well spent though right? :P

its funny how you say i got shafted cause i really trust my rep. He always discounts me with coupons i dont give him and gives me free air filters. someone do me a favor and ask their rep how much it would cost to change the windshield!

Rx330-

All I can tell you is that in my experience with claims around me most body shops and even dealers...use pro glass shops to do the work. I actually have a great relationship with a large pro glass shop...got a quote for you with the rain sensing wipers.....$525.00 :ph34r:

I like using the dealer for the services...I know I pay more for it but I do not mind. But I would flip out if I heard a price like that! Oh well... :censored: happens!

lol i know it was bad, but im one of those "go to the dealer" guys when ever theres a problem. Theres no way i could do it myself, or trust an auto shop to do it for me. money well spent though right?

See thats just the thing, a auto glass shop is actually going to know how to do the glass replacement BETTER than Lexus because thats what they do. In fact, I'm almost sure they just outsource their glass repair to a glass repair and replacement company (many of them are mobile and will come to you), have them come in and do the repair/replacement at the dealer, then jack up the price to you. That repair would have cost you $50 had you contacted the people that do that privately. Thats what my dealer does, only they negotiate payment from the technician on the back end and don't markup for the customer (the ethical way to do it).

Honestly, if that service rep told you that the repair would cost $400 and that a windshield replacement would cost $3,000 with a straight face he needs to be in jail. Of course he gives you free air filters when he can turn around and pound you one hard on a 800% markup for a windhsield repair (they're paid on commission).

Again, wow...

All I can tell you is that in my experience with claims around me most body shops and even dealers...use pro glass shops to do the work. I actually have a great relationship with a large pro glass shop...got a quote for you with the rain sensing wipers.....$525.00

That can't be with OEM glass. I do agree that one should use genuine OEM glass when replacing windshields, as you know if you specify it the insurance company must allow it. Just the glass from Lexus for an RX330 w/rain sensing wipers costs $671.08

All I can tell you is that in my experience with claims around me most body shops and even dealers...use pro glass shops to do the work. I actually have a great relationship with a large pro glass shop...got a quote for you with the rain sensing wipers.....$525.00

That can't be with OEM glass. I do agree that one should use genuine OEM glass when replacing windshields, as you know if you specify it the insurance company must allow it. Just the glass from Lexus for an RX330 w/rain sensing wipers costs $671.08

SW-

Did not ask for OEM glass just asked about replacement for rain sensing...

It cost me around $400/500 to repair my windshield. 3K is absurb.

Anyways, I recently got a small crack in my windshield and purchased a repair kit from Kragens. I think it was $10 or less. Seems to work fine and the crack has not spread. I had an experience with my old car where the crack started out small and eventually spread especially in hot temperatures during the summer. Lessoned learned...repair the crack now when it's small. $10 bucks is nothing compared to purchasing a new windshield.

If the papers are confusing and you hate talking to them, you should get a new insurance agent.

100% correct The worst thing you can have is an agent that you can't talk to. I spend hours every day explaining and re explaining coverage's on policies...to people...that is why I am here.

What are you confused about? I would be glad to help you out with it. Coverage varies state to state, but I still think I can figure it out for you. :lol: :D

You need a new agent. Mine is teriffic, he's a great guy and I enjoy talking to him.

Thanks SW! :blushing: Just kidding! That is great that you have a good relationship with your insurance agent.

RX- try calling the cable company and tell them you want to cancel for dish network! It takes 2 hours... :D

As far as your insurance...you should look at your papers...inspect what you expect...but the reason that you chose to do business through an agent and not direct boils down to service. I feel that I can and do provide 100 times better service for my customers than any direct company. Why, because when you need help...I am not transferring you to someone else...when you get mad I am not pushing you off on someone else...I am here to help...explain what, and why you should carry extra or better coverage's...or on the flip side might not need those coverage's at all. Most direct companies are all about cheap insurance...I hate it because when people sit down and compare policies apples to apples...most of the time the direct company is much higher. I do not think that most people ask questions...and they assume that they have everything in the policy that they should. Big mistake! After doing this for 5 years and working for someone who has been in the business for over 30 years...there is allot to understand. I still have to call and find out things. If you do not understand your policy you do not know what is covered....and therefore it is worthless!

The best advice I could give you is...

Find a new Agent... if you like the insurance company...call the company and ask to have your policy transferred to a new agent. In most states this is allowed. Hey the company doesn't want to lose you...if your agent is a jerk find a new one!