Is The Is 250 Powerful Enough With Stick

I ordered a 250 in manual. I was wondering if it is really all that underpowered as everyone says. I had a 160hp mazda 3s before this and it was quick for a 4 cylinder. I also own an R1 motorcycle that is balls fast. I wanted the IS for fun drive and confort mainly. I dont mind having some power but i hear that it is weaker than you would expect. Maybe regretting not ordering the 350, just didnt want auto.

I ordered a 250 in manual. I was wondering if it is really all that underpowered as everyone says. I had a 160hp mazda 3s before this and it was quick for a 4 cylinder. I also own an R1 motorcycle that is balls fast. I wanted the IS for fun drive and confort mainly. I dont mind having some power but i hear that it is weaker than you would expect. Maybe regretting not ordering the 350, just didnt want auto.

Did you driver a 350 auto?! Go drive one :D

I did not. i was afraid that i would be upset. i dont want a comparative answer to the 350. just want to know if the manual 250 is quick.

If you want the car for quality, comfort and style... with a little pep, you'll be VERY happy. Nothing else compares.

If you wanted a sharp sports car that can stand it's own at any red light..... you shoulda gone for the 350.

I'm also doing the 250, but only for the AWD.

I know that when I'm sitting at a red light and some punk pulls up next to me, I'm gonna be totally bummed.

I live for red lights, but the 250, stick or auto, just wasn't made for that. :cries:

Yeah i am pretty sure i will be happy. i was happy with my 160hp mazda 3s manual. this has 44 more horeses so i will just assume that it will be pretty much fast comparatively speaking. I have a motorcycle for FAST. I want my car for CLASS.

Nothing beats it for features, comfort, and class, at this price.

But I hate to say that in my opinion, the 250 is rather pep-less. Albeit, I test drove the AWD which loses a little of the oomph. I'm somewhat environmentally-conscious and was convinced by the numbers that I would love the 250's balance between MPG and HPs, but after driving it, found even myself wanting more power.

If they kept the 3.0L I would have gone for that, but the 2.5L just didn't have enough kick. The decision to pollute the environment and make the middle east sheiks richer was easier to make.

• 4 months later...

This week I traded in my beloved BMW 323 for a new 07 250 6M/T with 18" XE package. BMW has just blown it (IMHO) in terms of design/styling and value in this category, and the Infinitis (except for the G35 coupe) and Acuras just bore me. I never thought a Lexus would interest me, but the IS is absolutely gorgeous--nothing else in the category comes close to the looks of this car (like what BMW 3 *used* to be)--and I can't imagine a car that gives you more for the money. The features and quality just never end.

BUT....

after driving it for 2 days I do have to admit that--although the engine and weight are comparable to my former Bimmer, there is definitely a slight compromise in terms of pep and road feel. Problem is, I will not buy an automatic transmission car, and the IS 350--ridiculously--does not come in M/T. If it did, it would have been a no-brainer. I love this car, have no regrets and hope/assume that I will just get used to it, but at least for now (only 2 days, as I said), I am jonesing a bit for that good old Bimmer sport performance.

I am also hoping that I can find an aftermarket power chip for the 250 to give it just the little more oomph that it needs, but so far I have not heard of any. Hopefully one of the mod companies will catch on and make one for us, as there is clearly a big market/demand for it (if anyone has first-hand knowledge/experience with one that might exist, *please* let me know!). another 20-30 HP (which is what most of the good chips will boost other cars) should give it enough of a pickup improvement (or at least the feel of it) to make those of us who really love to drive happy.

Finally, I will say this... the IS250 M/T seems to "like" 2nd and 3rd gears the best. 1st gear is fairly lame (which is why we won't win many stoplight showdowns), but it definitely wakes up in the next 2 bands. Unfortunately you can't stay in 2nd or 3rd forever, but enjoy them while you are rowing through ;-)

This week I traded in my beloved BMW 323 for a new 07 250 6M/T with 18" XE package. BMW has just blown it (IMHO) in terms of design/styling and value in this category, and the Infinitis (except for the G35 coupe) and Acuras just bore me. I never thought a Lexus would interest me, but the IS is absolutely gorgeous--nothing else in the category comes close to the looks of this car (like what BMW 3 *used* to be)--and I can't imagine a car that gives you more for the money. The features and quality just never end.

BUT....

after driving it for 2 days I do have to admit that--although the engine and weight are comparable to my former Bimmer, there is definitely a slight compromise in terms of pep and road feel. Problem is, I will not buy an automatic transmission car, and the IS 350--ridiculously--does not come in M/T. If it did, it would have been a no-brainer. I love this car, have no regrets and hope/assume that I will just get used to it, but at least for now (only 2 days, as I said), I am jonesing a bit for that good old Bimmer sport performance.

I am also hoping that I can find an aftermarket power chip for the 250 to give it just the little more oomph that it needs, but so far I have not heard of any. Hopefully one of the mod companies will catch on and make one for us, as there is clearly a big market/demand for it (if anyone has first-hand knowledge/experience with one that might exist, *please* let me know!). another 20-30 HP (which is what most of the good chips will boost other cars) should give it enough of a pickup improvement (or at least the feel of it) to make those of us who really love to drive happy.

Finally, I will say this... the IS250 M/T seems to "like" 2nd and 3rd gears the best. 1st gear is fairly lame (which is why we won't win many stoplight showdowns), but it definitely wakes up in the next 2 bands. Unfortunately you can't stay in 2nd or 3rd forever, but enjoy them while you are rowing through ;-)

Try DARKSIDE motoring in CHATTSWORTH California

They offer chips & Mods for the IS (1at & 2nd Gen)

http://www.darksidemotoring.com

Benzo, thanks so much for the "lead." I went to their site but they do not show anything there. Is it a special order kind of thing? A few more questions if you have the time:

1. Do you have one in your car?

2. if so, how difficult/easy was it to install (I am good with cars but dont want to screw around with my brand new engine beyond a certain point of reasonbleness)

3. No problems with the car once installed?

4. And the biggest question of the day... is it worth it? What I am looking for is a little more "seat of the pants" feel in the acceleration. No need to win any races or beat any times, but if I could just get back the little kick I have been missing, for a reasonable price and reasonable installation, I'd be a happy camper!

Eraser:

The question is "quick" compared to what? I also own a classic Porsche 911, and get blown off the stoplights by WXR's. So what? That isn't what I bought my car for, neither the Porsche nor the IS250.

I wanted a car that was luxurious, had pep, a stick, and would last without making me hate the service shop at the dealership the way BMW owners feel. I have had my car for about 6 weeks, and love every minute of it. I look forward to my drive to and from work. I play AutoCross on the highway, using the cars in my way as pylons. There is more to driving than straight line, spin the wheels when the light turns green performance.

What I have found is that it seems that the sweet spot in the torque curve is over the 4grand mark. I think that it really gets humping when it hits 4500, and from there to the 6500, it really kicks. Now that's pretty narrow and pretty high in the range, but for a car with a short throw MT and a 6 speed, what else do you need? After all, you bought the car so you could row, didn't you?

I'd be careful about the add-on chip, unless you like burning out engines. I am sure that the use of the chip would void your warranty. But if you don't care about that -- have at it, and let me know how it works. :geek: ;)

larry

i remember driving the IS250 in manual, i thought it was lame. i guess it was cause i was comparing it to my s2000. then i thought about being realistic, im buying a luxury sport sedan, ill just keep it on the luxury side and stay with auto. i am jonesing for a stick though...ill just save up for another sports car, maybe a used cayman s, might be in the works in a year or two.

Problem is, I will not buy an automatic transmission car, and the IS 350--ridiculously--does not come in M/T. If it did, it would have been a no-brainer.

spinning off topic a bit here but... the IS350 has so many options to shift, you would not be dissapointed: the paddle shifters and the auto stick. I'm constantly baffled by the "must have manual" drivers. I've driven manual cars for 15 years and they don't hold a candle to the transmission in the IS350. Jees, leaving the car in Auto- PWR mode is breathtaking and I can nearly guarantee this car can shift by itself much better than any driver. Need engine braking, then downshift, I do it all the time when I'm coming up quick on someone or about to hit a corner. Who needs a clutch???

back on topic, when I test drove the 250AWD and was dissapointed, drove much like the TSX, not much fun IMO. Again this was the AWD model, 0-60 in 8.3 seconds is NOT a peppy car. I had a Prelude with lower HP and Torque numbers than the 250, and THAT was a fun car to drive, this is not. Luxurious- YES for sure.

If you want the IS for fun, you need to get the 350. DO NOT be a AUTO hater.

Two thoughts – the AWD Auto is not the best in class for high speed acceleration. If your buying it for that than your looking for mild disappointment. There will always be faster car out there but I am happy with the performance of the 250 thus far. If some punk wants to shred his tires and toast me at the line I can live with that. I’ll just sit back in my leather seat, switch on a Nav find a faster route to the destination and know that no other person has a better looking car on the road. Then I’ll wait till we are at the same light in a snow storm and toast his RWD tricked out low profile tired ice-skater and cruise away in AWD style.

On another note, I was a "Stick Shifter" for 9 years before the AWD 250 - I never thought I'd enjoy an Auto Trans but have been pleasantly surprised. I can't say that I don't miss the clutch every once in a while and the feel of shifting through gears but I can say that I caught myself smiling the other day while down shifting and then back up coming out of a tight corner … I thought at that moment (smile ear to ear) that I can live with the auto transy.

I figure 95% of "manual only" drivers will forget all about their perceived complaints about automatic, once they drive a IS350 for a little while. The car does most everything well and smoothly and certainly is no slouch in the acceleration department.

I just took a IS250 AWD for a spin today...my boss has one as a loaner for his GX. Well I have to admit I was real impressed with the car. The car has plenty of pep...it was not quite as quick as I expected...but overall I was real impressed with it. And compared to driving my RX330 it was like being in a jet! I love the keyless entry and start/stop option. If I was in the market for a sports car I think that I would look at the 350...but then again I love the feel of AWD...I think either of these cars would make you happy!!! :D :lol: :D

Hi all, new guy here. I'm in the process of looking at new vehicles and the IS250 caught my eye. The AWD makes great sense for Northeast weather and I don't have a problem with the auto as my commute is a lot of highway stop and go (I78 in NJ). The thing I am struggling with is the performance numbers, I currently am driving a 1999 Turbo Beetle (don't ask, it's a long story) which should actually beat out the IS250 from 0-60. I know that luxury-wise there is no comparrison, but I'm just struggling dropping $30k-$40k and then pulling up next to some chick in a Beetle and having her leave me in the dust at a stop light. I haven't had a test drive yet, so maybe that will address my concerns. Wish the 350 came with AWD. Pat

Hi all, new guy here. I'm in the process of looking at new vehicles and the IS250 caught my eye. The AWD makes great sense for Northeast weather and I don't have a problem with the auto as my commute is a lot of highway stop and go (I78 in NJ). The thing I am struggling with is the performance numbers, I currently am driving a 1999 Turbo Beetle (don't ask, it's a long story) which should actually beat out the IS250 from 0-60. I know that luxury-wise there is no comparrison, but I'm just struggling dropping $30k-$40k and then pulling up next to some chick in a Beetle and having her leave me in the dust at a stop light. I haven't had a test drive yet, so maybe that will address my concerns. Wish the 350 came with AWD. Pat

I drive the AWD250 - I am happy with it thus far. If you are looking for a performance based machine I suggest driving either the VW R32 or the Mazda Speed6, - I drove both and they would out perform this car. I chose the AWD250 for the style, comfort and features, the performance is still satisfactory and I am happy with my decision as I am sure everyone else who bought one is as well. I am with you on the AWD350!! But then againI would imagine the price would be well over $40k!

It's been stated several times in this thread, and I'll just repeat it...the IS250 isn't a rocket. It has decent power, but that's all. That's not what the car is about. You can get a Mazdaspeed3 for 22K that will blow it's doors off, and even give the IS350 a run for it's money, for well over 10K less...

The IS 250 is a sporty luxury sedan. It does everything it's intended for, quite nicely. Not fast, not dreadfully slow.

It's been stated several times in this thread, and I'll just repeat it...the IS250 isn't a rocket. It has decent power, but that's all. That's not what the car is about. You can get a Mazdaspeed3 for 22K that will blow it's doors off, and even give the IS350 a run for it's money, for well over 10K less...

The IS 250 is a sporty luxury sedan. It does everything it's intended for, quite nicely. Not fast, not dreadfully slow.

Sidney, Thanks for the response, I have read the thread and realize what has been stated, I was just stating the struggle I am going through in my purchase decision. The Mazda is intriguing and might be a consideration if I was about 15 years younger. Lexus would do themselves a big favor if they either shaved a second off the 0-60 of the 250 or offered the 350 in AWD. Who knows, maybe they pay attention to these forums.

Pat

Just pick up my IS 250 AWD Friday before Christmas. Great car and it is a lot of fun to drive. Sure I would like extra pep, however there is always trade offs. For a fun car that is classy and drives great and the price you can't beat it. I look at BMW love the drive but price and looks just didn't get it. I drove the G35 and this car is very quick. Dealer would not deal and the gas milage is terrible. Paid muck less for the Lexus and will laugh everytime at the gas pumps.

Problem is, I will not buy an automatic transmission car, and the IS 350--ridiculously--does not come in M/T. If it did, it would have been a no-brainer.

spinning off topic a bit here but... the IS350 has so many options to shift, you would not be dissapointed: the paddle shifters and the auto stick. I'm constantly baffled by the "must have manual" drivers. I've driven manual cars for 15 years and they don't hold a candle to the transmission in the IS350. Jees, leaving the car in Auto- PWR mode is breathtaking and I can nearly guarantee this car can shift by itself much better than any driver. Need engine braking, then downshift, I do it all the time when I'm coming up quick on someone or about to hit a corner. Who needs a clutch???

back on topic, when I test drove the 250AWD and was dissapointed, drove much like the TSX, not much fun IMO. Again this was the AWD model, 0-60 in 8.3 seconds is NOT a peppy car. I had a Prelude with lower HP and Torque numbers than the 250, and THAT was a fun car to drive, this is not. Luxurious- YES for sure.

I also had a Prelude VTEC, before my BMW... probably the most fun car to drive that I have ever owned.... that VTEC was a rocket. Back on subject, I promise I am not an "auto hater"... I just happen to like rowing through the gears, and I suspect I am not alone in that preference ;-)

The 250AWD sticks to the road as well as any Subaru, but don't discount the 350's VDIM, very, VERY impressive in the rain a hair below the AWD and way better than most FWD cars on the road. I feel much safer in my 350 than in any FWD car I've ever owned. I slid around in my Honda CRV AWD with brand new tires way more than in the 350.

For snow, buy yourself some snow tires and rims and drive slowly. if it snows more than 4"...stay home!

Getting smoked by a Turbo Beetle would be sad indeed. :cries:

my history

Pontiac 6000 to Toyota Truck (can't remember the model) to Jetta to Civic to Accord Wagon to Prelude to Altima to Protege to Jetta VR6 to CRV to ML320 to Prius to IS350

I also had a Prelude VTEC, before my BMW... probably the most fun car to drive that I have ever owned.... that VTEC was a rocket. Back on subject, I promise I am not an "auto hater"... I just happen to like rowing through the gears, and I suspect I am not alone in that preference ;-)

!!! Another Prelude fan!!! that was a fun car...until I spun it around on I95... the trick was to shift so the VTEC was always engaged

I row through the gears as well. just using the stick...and no clutch. I have to admit, I'm souring on the paddles. Years of using the clutch and bum knees = no more clutch. I just drove my co-worker's EVO with clutch and felt sore afterwards, although that was a pretty stiff clutch.

or maybe I'm just jealous and wish I had a clutch and am making excuses. ;)

I'm new to the forums here, and have been wrestling with a similar dilemma. Let me say first off that I'm one of those dedicated manual guys. I like it, because I'm used to it I guess. And it's a lot of fun to row up and down the gears. Plus, in the winter on the snow being able to modulate the clutch and the gas is a big advantage. Almost as big as AWD - I've just never felt as comfortable driving in the snow in an Auto (then again, I should qualify by saying I've never tried paddle shifters either).

But to digress, I love the IS 250, but have also heard that it's just not the performer that some of the price-wise competition is. Namely the WRX (which in Canada clears the $35 000 CND mark along with the IS), the Mazda Speed 3 and 6, the Honda Accord V6, etc etc. As people here have already said, the Lexus is about luxury, class, style, with a little sport thrown in. And that's what's making me look favorably in this direction. I'm not a stop light racer, and I don't intend on taking a luxury sports sedan to the track, so I'm not entirely sure that the extra 2 seconds or so to 60 mph is worth the extra cash that a 350 requires. And, as above I really like the traditional manual.