'07 Es350 Or '06 Gs 300 Awd

amf1932

All things being equal as far as optional equipment which car would you prefer, the '07 ES350 or the GS300 AWD? Advantages and disadvantages??

I'm asking this because I got into a discussion with a friend of mine who went into his local Lexus dealer and they were able to discount the GS to about the same price as the ES.

What's your take on this situation and what would you do, and why??

im not sure about the optional equipment in each car...but...this is a really tough choice. After driving the ES, i loved the car, and im sure i would love the GS just as much. I would most likely, no offense to whichever side you were on, i would take the GS because it has more power and because its bigger. those are the only reasons. I test drive would confrim my choice.

I would take the ES. I actually faced the same issue when I got mine in 03, I was leasing and the lease payments were identical.

Here's why I made the decision then, and why I'd make it now (and yes I have extensively driven the new GS and the new ES). These reasons are specifically for comparing the ES350 and the GS however

1. The ES is smoother and quieter. This ES is sportier than the previous car, but its still much softer and smoother than the sportier GS especially when its on those horrible runflats.

2. The ES is more powerful

3. The ES has a more spacious and comfortable interior. The new GS's interior is great, and asthetically its more appealing than the ES', but its a sporty car with a BIG transmission hump that cuts down on drivers and passengers legroom. Theres a huge bump in the drivers ootwell of the GS so big they had to specially design the floormat to fold over, and the roofline is low.

4. The ES has a bigger trunk.

5. The ES is better looking (I've never been a fan of the GS' hatchback like look).

6. The ES has the new generation nav system and technology.

To me the benefits of the GS over the ES are:

1. Its RWD (or in this case rear bias AWD which is far superior to FWD in all driving conditions)

2. To SOME people its more prestigious because its not entry level (most people can't tell the difference between Lexus sedans anyways)

To me and for my dollar the choice is clear, even if the two cost the same.

Now if they made the same deal with an LS...

i would take the GS because it has more power and because its bigger. those are the only reasons

How do you figure that? The ES350 has a 272HP engine and the GS300 has a 245HP engine.

Bigger in what respect? The GS has a cramped cabin with much less legroom(both front & back) then the ES.

Thats common misconcepotion, the GS is actually signinificantly smaller than the ES, especially inside. Has been since 2002. You can fit three across the back seat of the ES350 and everyone can cross their legs without hitting the seatbacks in front of them. Try that in a GS.

And the 3.5 in the ES is MUCH more powerul than the old I6 in the GS.

I'd probably go with the GS mainly because the style of the car is much more appealing to my eye. AWD has to be nice in snowy areas too. As for the power, yes the 3.5 makes more power than the I6, but the 0-60 times are the same for the ES and GS RWD and 1/10 slower for the AWD model, and the GS even weighs more than the ES. GSs are fun to drive, and they manage to retain the smooth ride.

Comfortwise, if your friend is taller than 6' or maybe 6'1, he's barking up the wrong tree completely by shopping for a Lexus.

lol! the ironic thing is that i looked at the website before making that statement- that the GS is more powerful. But...apparently i was looking at the GS430. If it was my own car...i still hate that oval dash, all things aside. that alone would stop me from buying it. but as i have said, ive never been in a GS.

That's a really tough decision. Both are good cars.... well I'll just leave it at that.

But amf, you said your friend could get a GS for the price of a ES? huh, well I had a different situation with the 4Runner decision.

When i was in the market for a non-luxury vehicle to add-on, This is how it first started:

1. Honda CRV (my mom didnt like it, too small)

2. Honda Pilot (wow, payments are a little too much)

3. Honda Odyssey (but there's less options, compared to a Sienna)

4. Toyota Sienna ( more options than an Odyssey, ah but wait)

5. Toyota 4Runner

It was just out of curiosity that I asked how much the 4Runner was going for, that i ended up getting one. The sales person told me that they were running a special on the 4Runner. So when the figures came back, the 4Runner seemed like the winner.

Toyota Sienna ($26,900 unit)

Toyota 4Runner ($30,200 unit)

lease rate of the 4Runner, was only $9 more than the Sienna!!! :o

Add to that, I went to the second dealer in town for a price comparison, and they had this "crazy larry" (he's the gsm, general sales manager) and the price of the exact 4Runner was about $10 cheaper a month, compared to the Sienna from the other dealership. CraZy!!

Although it kinda seemed like comparing apples and oranges (Sienna van vs. 4Runner SUV) but pricewise, that's the main comparison. I know the Pilot should have been the comparison, but the figures were extremely more than the 4Runner. ;)

Thats common misconcepotion, the GS is actually signinificantly smaller than the ES, especially inside. Has been since 2002. You can fit three across the back seat of the ES350 and everyone can cross their legs without hitting the seatbacks in front of them. Try that in a GS.

If what you are saying about the room in the GS, then why did Edmunds say this in their write up:

"The Lexus GS 300 has a roomy cabin that provides the driver and front passenger with space to stretch out. Impressive amounts of leg- and shoulder room easily accommodate the long-limbed and broad-shouldered."

Or is this the plain GS300, not the AWD?

there shouldnt be a difference in AWD or regular. But apparently, the ES is 1 centimeter longer in length and its the same width. Maybe i will change my decision, but again, i have to sit in a GS to make sure. Still hate that oval dash

Since the price of the GS is much higher, the ES would be my choice........if they were around the same price, the GS AWD would be my choice, especially for winter driving. B)

:cheers:

"The Lexus GS 300 has a roomy cabin that provides the driver and front passenger with space to stretch out. Impressive amounts of leg- and shoulder room easily accommodate the long-limbed and broad-shouldered."

Or is this the plain GS300, not the AWD?

I definately disagree with them then. I found the interior of the new GS very cramped compared to MY ES and certainly an ES350.

The only GS I'd be interested in is the 450h.

If what you are saying about the room in the GS, then why did Edmunds say this in their write up:

They can say that because comfort is subjective. What's his definition of "long limbed?" Maybe he is 5'7, so long limbed to him is 6'0? I'm ~6'4, and I have not been impressed in the least with the legroom in any Lexus model that I've looked at/driven/owned. The most important thing is to just go sit in the car and try to get comfortable.

They can say that because comfort is subjective. What's his definition of "long limbed?" Maybe he is 5'7, so long limbed to him is 6'0? I'm ~6'4, and I have not been impressed in the least with the legroom in any Lexus model that I've looked at/driven/owned. The most important thing is to just go sit in the car and try to get comfortable.

Blake get a Hummer.LOL.. :chairshot: