Front End Shakes When Braking

andre

hello guys,

lately it was gettig worst and worst, so had put on new set of pads at the front -and still no change!

the car wasn't driven much during winter -could this have anything to do with it?

the discs look like they aren't too old...

-any ideas...???

-andre

hello guys,

lately it was gettig worst and worst, so had put on new set of pads at the front -and still no change!

the car wasn't driven much during winter -could this have anything to do with it?

the discs look like they aren't too old...

-any ideas...???

-andre

Andre:

You won't see a warped rotor by looking through the wheel while it's still on the vehicle. Removed both rotors, take them into an auto parts shop that grinds/trues them & I bet that one or both will turn out to have been warped. If there's enough meat left on them, get them re-ground & that will straighten them out.

Also, think seriously about re-building your calipers. You may have a sticky or dragging piston in one of them. If you don't, you will be re-visiting this issue shortly. No fun..........

Also consider that your suspension bushings need replacement. My car is doing that front and back, and the rotors spec out well within tolerance.

A quick way to check for warped rotors is to gently apply the brakes at different speeds, and if the brake pedal oscillates, the rotors are warped. If the pedal does not do this, the rotors are probably okay, and it's time to check out the suspension.

• 2 weeks later...

I vote for the rotors. You can feel the fronts through the steering wheel.

hello guys,

have just fixed the front rotors (re-grinded them) and the fronts are not kicking any more, but to my surprise the whole vibration is now coming from the rears (the rear end is almost jumping and pulsating when braking hard -scarrryyy!!!), so ordered new rotors and pads for tomorrow -

i will let you know how it went...

I vote for the rotors. You can feel the fronts through the steering wheel.

hello guys,

have just fixed the front rotors (re-grinded them) and the fronts are not kicking any more, but to my surprise the whole vibration is now coming from the rears (the rear end is almost jumping and pulsating when braking hard -scarrryyy!!!), so ordered new rotors and pads for tomorrow -

i will let you know how it went...

Andre,

I feel after my three very fast routes to Katowice and back (300km in one way - aprox speed 130kmph) my front rotors also must be re-drinded. Where did you do this in Warsaw ? It was proffesionally done ?

How much you paid for new rear rotors and pads (ASO ? )

Mariusz

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed over several different cars that if the braking is worse while going downhill the rear rotors are more to blame.

Mechanics tend to alway say front, front front (rotors). But the rear can and do warp too.

OK, the problem is fixed :new rear rotors and pads did the trick (i think, the old ones were never replaced since new...)

-now it brakes again like lexus should!!!

regs Andre

Man I posted some pictures a week ago about my new rotors.

They have slots and drill holes and they are great! Man I used to have the shake and now I have perfect breaking!

Look for the posting. Rotors are only about 220 bucks.

Cheers.

My car shakes/vibrates as well. Changing the front rotors/pads didn't help. I just changed the rear pads Saturday and had the rotors machined, still no difference.

The vibrations can be felt mostly above 45, with it getting very noticable over 70. It's felt both in the steering wheel and seats. That's why I could never really pinpoint it to either the front or back. I'm leaning towards it being in the front.

When applying the brakes lightly, it vibrates even more. Applying more pressure to the brakes minimizes it.

What steps/order should I take to trouble shoot this. Start with replacing the tie-rods or control arm bushings?

If tie-rods, inner or outer? Do they have to be replaced or can they be "rebuilt" with bushings? If replace, where is the best place to get them? I'll do a search of this forum but appreciate any suggestions in the mean time. TIA.

I went to a brake workshop a few years back put on by Bendix and recieved some useful info on why rotors warp. They say if you let the pads get down lower than 1/8" thick the heat generated by the rotors can't disapate fast enough which leads to warped rotors.

Grandpa, yes, it vibrates when driving on the highway at normal speeds, worse/more noticible the faster you go. The vibration seems to be synced with the speed, that is to say, the slower you go, the slower the vibration, and opposite the faster you go. So it seems to be tied to wheel rotation. The front pads and rotors were replaced but if something is loose then I suppose the vibration would vary depending on speed, yes?

LScott400, thanks, "lots" is correct, that's a very long thread, reading through it for ideas.

AussiLS400, front rotors replaces, rear rotors machined, that would seem to rule them out, but thanks.

I highly doubt this may be the case, but it can also be a simple solution... are your tires in good quality? Also, maybe the tire wasn't put on right (as in the star-shape tightening of the lugnuts). If this were the case, not only would the front end shake though. I remember coming back from a mech a long time ago and he didn't put my wheel on right and it would shake and by refitting my tire it fixed the problem. Have you

I don't think it's the tires. They're Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds and in good shape. I had them rotated recently with no change in vibration.

I hope I have better luck finding the problem than what nc211 had to go through.

I've printed out a few threads, one of them mentioned steering wheel play. Mine does have some but I can't find where it states how much is acceptable. I guess I'll just work my way down the steering wheel shaft then out to the tie rods. I'd like to replace the easiest and cheapest things first.

Grandpa, yes, it vibrates when driving on the highway at normal speeds, worse/more noticible the faster you go. The vibration seems to be synced with the speed, that is to say, the slower you go, the slower the vibration, and opposite the faster you go. So it seems to be tied to wheel rotation. The front pads and rotors were replaced but if something is loose then I suppose the vibration would vary depending on speed, yes?

LScott400, thanks, "lots" is correct, that's a very long thread, reading through it for ideas.

AussiLS400, front rotors replaces, rear rotors machined, that would seem to rule them out, but thanks.

Front rotors were replaced? How long ago, and did this vibration begin before or after the new rotors were installed? The reason I am asking is because Lexus rotors have two, small, brass set screws to perfectly center the rotor on the hub during installation. If the screws are not there, or you have aftermarket rotors that don't have these two centering holes....then my money is that your rotors are off balance. I put some cheapo Napa's on mine a few months ago that did not have these holes, any my car did the exact same thing as yours is doing now. Especially on the freeway, it would shake horribly.

nc211, the vibration started before I replaced the front rotors and was exactly the same afterwards.

Having now changed the front/rear pads, changed front rotors, machined rear rotors, the vibration I experience now is the same as before.

I'm going to have to remove the front wheels and rotors again and inspect the lower ball joint and tie rod ends more closely. If possible, I'll post photos.

I'm told that my power steering rack is bad. It's leaking from the seals on both ends. Now that I think of it, there is also a slight shudder felt in the steering wheel when turning sharp from a stop but only when turning left.

From what I've read, they're not cheap, I may be living with the vibrations for good long time. :cries: