Broken Wheel Lock

I was changing my brake pads, the drivers side went so smooth, 10 mins tops,

and then I go to passenger side, and the wheel lock breaks! the outer circle broke in 2 pieces

Now I cant get any leverage to break loose the 200 pounds of tork the tire place put on it.

Anyone have any ideas what to do? I've tried pounding a socket on ,but I'm out of ideas

here, and call on the LOC for advice. thanks all :cheers:

Go to any local tire shop which should have the tools necessary to break open a wheel lock.

Just got back from tires plus.The guy tried several tools

but no luck. He said I might have to drill it out or torch it off!

OMG this was going to be a easy brake pad change but

has turned into a nightmare.This is my only day off and

was going fishing afterwards but now I have the drivers side

done with new pads and the old pads on it on the right side. It

has the broken wheel nut on that wheel.

There are a few options:

1) Use a high carbon drill bit to drill it out - center punch it first.

2) Use a cold chisel to break the rest of the lock (chisel with 4 lb hammer)

3) Torch to burn it out.

I would try them in the order listed. With all three you will need to replace the stud afterwards. With option 3 you also need to replace an alloy wheel. I took my locks off when we took delivery of the car. I have seen too many problem with locks and insurance will cover the theft of the wheels if some jerk rips me off.

T

• 3 years later...
Use a 19mm, 12 point socket and pound it on with a hammer, it will take of the wheel lock.

GREAT TIP!!! It works! 3 of my locks were way over torqued on my LX. Broke my original key and a new key trying to get them off. I had to sacrifice 3 of these sockets as it was impossible to take them off the lock once removed from the wheel. For the $15 on the sockets - less expensive then the new key - it was WORTH it. Thank you!!

i lost the damn key for mine just in time for a flat tire so i had to buy a can of fix a flat then drive to a mechanic, he used some tool and removed the lock and i went ahead and replaced them with regular lugs. I got the from autozone for like $8 they are a little shorter than the stock ones but it beats those stupid locking ones.

I figure if anyone really wants to steal my ugly @$$ rims then go ahead