Lousy Companies...

SW03ES

My fiance is an event planning coordinator for a biotech firm. Well, she was until today.

She had been working there about 6 months, had nothing but good feedback from her superiors, how appreciative they were of her work and how big their plans for her were. Put in extra hours, nights, and weekends with no pay and without anyone asking etc etc. Then about a month ago they hire someone over top of her with no experience for no apparent reason, then today they laid off 10% of the company, including her.

Its no financial hardship for us, but she obviously feels terribly wronged.

Stuff like this just reminds me why I promised myself that I would *never* work for anybody but myself, no matter how hard or long I had to work to make a living. The whole "job security" thing that keeps people from becoming entrepeneurs themselves is totally an illusion...

Just thought I'd share.

that really sucks, i know a few people who were laid off after the whole economy bust as the silicon valley shrank. Its a real shame, our economy is going downhill, and is continuing with no signs of improvement. At least it doesnt affect your spending budget. I wonder if they are paying that other lady/guy a lot less than what your wife was paid.

I know just how she feels.

I worked for Benz for 2 years and lost my job because of it being outsourced to an outside company.

I was supposed to run the system for them as well ,problem being is there are still racist people left in the world.

Live to fight another day.

I wonder if they are paying that other lady/guy a lot less than what your wife was paid.

I don't know, its possible. She did find out that the other people she was working with that had similar jobs with less education and credentials were earning significantly more than she was even though they had made a show of it being difficult to get her salary approved. This company is so screwy, its hard to tell what the motivation was. I know shes never afraid to voice her opinion and she's not one to be controlled, maybe the other person is. She had some friends over from work last night (that were also laid off) and I told all of them that from what I've heard, they're better off.

I'm waiting to hear back from my lawyer when he can look at this release they want her to sign for her severance, then she can move on.

I am afraid you are right, wish I had worked for myself years ago, I just retired from the big X and they were getting so bad that you didn't want to work there, but quite franly the only safe jobs are in government. Otherwise work for yourself and control your destiny. You will much better off both financially and security wise. The only reason for your failure will be yourself. My two cents this morning.

Steve,

I am sorry for her loss of a job she liked.

Look on the positive, if the company drops people that quick, they ain't that stable. She is better off not there. The company's money must be mostly soft rather than hard, very common in biotech companies.

good luck with the legailities.

steviej

Sorry to hear about that steve. I agree with steviej, obviously they're not too stable if they can't keep jobs in this bustling economy. Hopefully she won't have too much trouble finding another job. The job market for college grads is the best now than in the past 6+ years.

Its a real shame, our economy is going downhill, and is continuing with no signs of improvement.

Tell me how you get that? Unemployment=under 5% (lower than the clinton era), consumer & retail spending=all time highs, stock market=near record breaking highs, uncle sam=collecting more $ in taxes than ever. Ha hate to go off subject, i just think its funny how gloom and doom the media is on our economy when in reality it is BOOMING.

Steve,

I am sorry for her loss of a job she liked.

Look on the positive, if the company drops people that quick, they ain't that stable. She is better off not there. The company's money must be mostly soft rather than hard, very common in biotech companies.

good luck with the legailities.

steviej

Thanks for the well wishes everybody.

She liked the job, but not the company so its not all bad. Its a screwy company and the CEO is a whackjob having them sort his magazine collection, design his house, design playgrounds for his kid, it seems to me like there's a lot of money hiding going on. She's definately better off. Luckily now she gets her severance and can draw unemployment and really take some time to find the right job with the right company. To make it even better, this company doesn't offer references to anyone as a rule. Nice.

Luckily I'm making a lot more money than I was this time last year or we'd feel the pinch.

Sorry to hear about that steve. I agree with steviej, obviously they're not too stable if they can't keep jobs in this bustling economy. Hopefully she won't have too much trouble finding another job. The job market for college grads is the best now than in the past 6+ years.

Its a real shame, our economy is going downhill, and is continuing with no signs of improvement.

Tell me how you get that? Unemployment=under 5% (lower than the clinton era), consumer & retail spending=all time highs, stock market=near record breaking highs, uncle sam=collecting more $ in taxes than ever. Ha hate to go off subject, i just think its funny how gloom and doom the media is on our economy when in reality it is BOOMING.

well, in my opinion, its not a stable economy if major brand name stores are closing, ie, in san francisco at least, ever heard of GOOD GUYS? (electronic store) or TOYS 'R US, closing most of there stores, or even CALA FOODS. And gas prices are at an all time high, less money in circulation. Just a fact i found out, the price of gold, an ounce, just got to 4 digits...and its never seen that much. everything is collapsing, everything is more expensive, and nobody seems to have the money. maybe all of these are signs of a booming economy, but... :P

Sorry to hear about that. My mom almost lost her job. The hospital was firing a WHOLE lot of people from the staff. The basis for it was if the person has been in the company for a long time and has the highest pay possible in the position. Luckily she didn't get chosen to be fired because she's only been in the company for about 10 or 11 years.. Thank God. The lady that was at this hospital for 25 years, was superior over her, got fired.

It's always a wonder why they would do such a thing to good, hard working people.

well, in my opinion, its not a stable economy if major brand name stores are closing, ie, in san francisco at least, ever heard of GOOD GUYS? (electronic store) or TOYS 'R US, closing most of there stores, or even CALA FOODS. And gas prices are at an all time high, less money in circulation. Just a fact i found out, the price of gold, an ounce, just got to 4 digits...and its never seen that much. everything is collapsing, everything is more expensive, and nobody seems to have the money. maybe all of these are signs of a booming economy, but... :P

Those aren't signs of a weak economy, they're signs of serious changes in the way Americans shop for retail goods. Stores like Toys R Us can't compete with Walmart of online venues and they've started a huge online store of their own that they're concentrating on. Good guys is just a regional chain, I've never even heard of them, or Cala Foods.

Comparitively the economy now is very strong, its just changing thats all.

And whats collapsing? And why would the price of gold being high be nothing but a sign of a strog economy? Gold is hardly a neccissary daily product like gas. Many people invest in gold...

It's always a wonder why they would do such a thing to good, hard working people.

Sometimes, its neccissary for a companys survival. But this company also fired people that had just been there a month or so, along with people who had been there a long time. Makes no sense...

And people making comparitively very little money...

im just saying, in a world of a good economy, everyone would have enough money to buy the things they want, and all retail stores would stay open. Cala foods and good guys have been around since i was born. Calafoods is a supermarket...thats not a change in economy, everyone buys food. Iono, its just my opinion that it isnt as strong as it used to be. hey, if your a republican, i am too, but i do see some flaws. lol (please dont make remarks about parties, dont want to start that debate.

Americans do have plenty of money, we're just experiencing shifts in how people want to spend it and where they want to spend it.

Calafoods is a supermarket...thats not a change in economy, everyone buys food.

They're just not buying it from them anymore. I've watched many huge chain stores go in and out of business thusfar in my life, and that hasn't been that long. Consumers needs change and competition is fierce.

Interest rates are low, moneys flowing, the market is up, these are good times financially. Will it stay this way? Who knows but we've had a good couple years. The media loves to beat on it though, since they've waged a war on this administration. You're just feeling the effect of the media hype.

I'm a republican, but these yahoos in charge aren't regardless of what they say they are. Thats a topic for another thread anyways.