Brake Time, How Should It Handel

ProZac

Hey guys, to relate to the SPEED Thread, i was driving against my buddy who has a new 2003 acura rsx type-S. My 97 did Pretty good! though he did beat me each time. Anyway, going from 120 down to 0 within kinda a short period of time (#1 we passed police on the other side of the road pulling somebody over #2 red light comming up) and i was pushing pretty hard on my brakes and I didn't feel the ABS kick in, and the breaks felt like they were slowing me down but not stopping. i JUST got BRAND NEW brakes put on a month ago exactly. Do you think my brakes were TOO hot, or was i maybe not pushing them hard enough to engage the ABS??? They also Machined the Rotors. Anybody have an explaination for my (what i felt was) not soo good braking?

Thanks!

Brian

Oh, i believe they are OEM ceramic brake pads

Yes please some one with Es 300 brake expertise please answer this. I am having a very similar problem.

I just had my 90k service and ever since it seems when ever I am driving over 45mph and I hard brake the keeps movinh although slowing. The brake pedal just goes down halfway and stops. No matter how much harder I press nothing changes. The car just eventually stops. Very weird and kinda scary.

I am new to this forum and must say I enjoy very much. I have been an everyday lurker since around May. I purchased my first Lexus this past June.

welcome aboard, louislexus.

for the brake problem. i can't say anythin' that would give an answer. it's basically i guess what condition the rotors are in, and the type of pads. used. the only think i know is that slotted or cross-drilled. or a mix of both on one rotor will increase braking speed. that's all the info i know on brakes. lol pretty sad.

welcome Louislexus7,as for the brake issues i too notice that when under alot of speed they slack off a little.zeta hit the nail on the head by what he said.chaging the rotors will help that alot.as for not feeling the abs kick in you probably wasnt pressing hard enough on the brakes.abs just stops the tires for locking up if you press the brake to hard but i dont think they give any extra braking power.i think it sort of pulses the brakes so they dont lock up thats all.hope this helps

first you don't awnt abs to kick in

it is only to help steer a car whne the wheels lock up

which also increases a cars ability to stop and increases its distance

you may need to bleed the brake system

as you may have air bubbles behind or inside hte calpiers

which are causing the brakes to fully grip on some calipers but not all

thus causing a strong pedal feel but no response

heat will cause brake fade also but it usually needs a good race for that to happen

do any of you feel any strong pulsation from the brakes when applied?

i have slotted rotors and love them

next is braided steel lines

to improve the feel

warped rotors are baaaaaaaaadddd... :wacko::wacko:

i have steel braided lines... GREAT feel... real responsive too. but my brakes are still solid rotors. hey sk, do you think after a rain accident. slamming on the brakes from about 40 trying to stop will hurt my brakes? because after the car came back, the brakes haven't been as smooth. there's no pulsating or anything... i can just sorta feel the pads not gripping as well. maybe my pads are dead. i'm not sure. got any thoughts?

it may onyl be a glaze from a panic stop

usually wears off quicly if driven gingerly for a bit

or just use sand paper to the disc to help clean em up

look at the rotor and see if the have any gouges from debris

or uneven surfaces