93 Ls 400

Lams

I purchased a 1993 LS 400 today! (yay!) It has 88,000 miles on it. After driving it 110 miles home, i noticed it was sluggish during light acceleration. I`m taking it to a dealership next week for a thorough checkup. What should i have done for sure and what should i inquire about. The car is in great shape and i feel like i got a good deal. $8200. Help, Lorne Jackman

Columbia MO, I've spent some time there and there are not many Lexus service centers out there. Unless your willing to spend $1K to $2K, I would avoid the dealership. Do some research and see if you can find an independent Lexus or Toyota service center. It's likely that you'll need to spend some money to get all the bugs fixed so it helps to have a good independent for that. Make sure you search this forum, it has tons of information, and anything you can think about or have a problem with is most likely already been discussed many times over.

I purchased a 1993 LS 400 today! (yay!) It has 88,000 miles on it. After driving it 110 miles home, i noticed it was sluggish during light acceleration. I`m taking it to a dealership next week for a thorough checkup. What should i have done for sure and what should i inquire about. The car is in great shape and i feel like i got a good deal. $8200. Help, Lorne Jackman

I talked to the dealer I bought the car from this morning. The car had little gas in it when i bought it and it had been sitting for awhile. He seems to think there is moisture in the tank. Sounds reasonable to me?! LJ

I wouldn\t spend a penny on diagnosis or check up services. Instead, spend money on preventive maintenance services which will directly benefit your car like: eight new Denso platinum spark plugs, 1 1/2 gallons of genuine Toyota antifreeze mixed 50/50 with distilled water, a new air filter, 2 quarts of Toyota Type T-IV transmission fluid, a new serpentine drive belt , clean the power steering rack solenoid filter screen, clean the throttle plate, top of the Air Conditioning system with R134a refrigerant (if the level is low. When you keep up with preventive maintenance, problems like sluggish acceleration never happen in the first place.

My 93Ls had smooth idle. And poor acceleration on level ground. When accelerating going up any incline the car would jerk in a stutter like fashion. Also hard to get above 60 mph. I had around 91,000k on it. I did a tune up. Dealer wires ( 220.00 ) plugs, caps, rotors. All parts less than $300.00. Everything visually looked good on the surface. But both of the coil terminals were totally corroded under the rubber cap. In fact the terminal was so brittle, that they broke off trying to remove the coil wire. Afterward, the car is smooth and powerfull under any type of acceleration. Clean your throttle body for an even smoother idle. Maybe a little Seafoam fuel system cleaner is in order to.

Lots of luck. Your have a great car on your hands!

Thanx for all the great tips everyone. I`m having the car serviced Wednesday. I tried the Seafoam. No good. Hope it`s minor. Wish me luck! Lorne

How about a Fuel Injector Cleaner? My 92 LS suffered from a similar problem. It turns out I hadn't done the car a favor by driving it so gently. The dealer tossed in a bottle of BG 44K and it drives like a bat out of hell. That is concentrated stuff, so you can use Chevron Techron as an alternative. Have you done the 90K service yet? It's kind of pricey, but my car was running real smooth after it. Maybe you can get a trusted independent mechanic to do it for you. Bear in mind your transmission requires a special Toyota fluid, so don't allow for any substitutes.

Congrads on buying one of the best cars (STILL!!) on the road today,

-Sam

Hey all, I heard from my mechanic and I need the 90k svc. Wires, plugs, dist, the whole she-bangabang! I`m waiting on svc records to see if the timing belt needs to be done as well. $1000K. I`m hoping the guy I bought the car from will chip in. (Not) After all this gets done can anyone say, " Roadtrip"!! Thanx for all the advice and will let you guys know how it goes. LJ

Hey all, I got my car back. It`s running great. Having the trans svcd, radiator flushed Tuesday. Will be sure to mention the throttle plate and the power steering rack solenoid filter screen. Can anyone recommend a good shock and spring? Any Koni, Bilstein users out there? Also, I`m looking for a set of the Lexus chrome wheels with the gold emblem on the center cap. Thanx for all the tips, LJ

F.Y.I., Power steering rack solenoid filter screen is not available thru Toyota. I have not checked aftermarket. May have to get thru Lexus. LJ

Lams:

You shouldn't need a new screen unless someone dings it up trying to remove it for cleaning. I'm a believer that it should be removed for fluid flush, but I'll also agree that it's not absolutely necessary.

BTW: Go with OEM shocks. I put KYB GR2's on & they're pretty stiff. Not bad, but definitely not the "velvety smooth" ride that I wanted.........Silly me........

• 2 weeks later...