This Is Really Getting Old

98es

So here it is folks, my lexus' 3rd rear ending in 5 months!!!! UGH. Thank god it was just another bumper job, but this is really getting old. I'm thinking about just collecting the money and waiting for the next one to happen. I swear its not MY driving habits that are causing this!!!! Every single time I"m COMPLETELY stopped and had been for a little while. Anyways, this last time it was my fiance' who was driving. Some old Civic packed full with like 5 people, and it had been raining. He went up under the lexus and it really screwed his car up. I was going to maybe just try to buff it out and keep the money but it looks like one of the brackets that connects the bumper to the car under the trunk is broken. Maybe I can live with it, we'll see. Of course dude tried to tell my fiance, oh its not bad it all, just a couple of scratches, I think we're okay to just leave. HAHA. yeah right. Her reply was... THIS CAR IS MY FIANCE'S BABY! I HAVE TO CALL HIM! So thank god she got me (and thank god she's okay) and I told her to call the cops, and met her at the scene. Anyways, I'll post pics up later today when I get them. Here we go again!!!! :angry:

Dang, really sad to hear about that. I had a rear accident in my ES a few wks ago and the dude didnt even have insurance. Just payed me cash $4500 for the damages and mostly to keep my mouth shut. It's currently in the shop getting fixed. If I were you, I'd take it to a body shop for inspection/estimate, then make a decision from there...

A technique I have used successfully several times when I have seen someone coming up from behind fast while I am stopped in traffic is to tap and release the brake pedal as rapidly as possible to get the following driver's attention.

About two weeks ago I used this technique when I was stopped in traffic on an overpass in a 40 mph zone and a conversion van was closing on me at what looked to be about 60 mph. My flashing brake lights appeared to get the driver's attention and she slammed on her brakes and skidded to a stop about 10 feet behind me. She looked like a teenager and she then proceeded to "freak out", grabbed her head and started slamming it into her steering wheel. If it had been raining I would have been hit and it would have been really painful - and not just for my car.

Another time, I was lucky enough to be the only one stopped at a traffic light so I was able to nail the gas pedal and run the light as the driver (another woman driving a conversion van!) skidded completely through the intersection (and red light) to a stop. What really scared me is that she chased me down to thank me -- I just wanted her to stay away. LOL

Watch your rear view mirror! Sometimes you can prevent getting rear-ended or at least reduce the force of the impact by flashing your brake lights.

A technique I have used successfully several times when I have seen someone coming up from behind fast while I am stopped in traffic is to tap and release the brake pedal as rapidly as possible to get the following driver's attention.

About two weeks ago I used this technique when I was stopped in traffic on an overpass in a 40 mph zone and a conversion van was closing on me at what looked to be about 60 mph. My flashing brake lights appeared to get the driver's attention and she slammed on her brakes and skidded to a stop about 10 feet behind me. She looked like a teenager and she then proceeded to "freak out", grabbed her head and started slamming it into her steering wheel. If it had been raining I would have been hit and it would have been really painful - and not just for my car.

Another time, I was lucky enough to be the only one stopped at a traffic light so I was able to nail the gas pedal and run the light as the driver (another woman driving a conversion van!) skidded completely through the intersection (and red light) to a stop. What really scared me is that she chased me down to thank me -- I just wanted her to stay away. LOL

Watch your rear view mirror! Sometimes you can prevent getting rear-ended or at least reduce the force of the impact by flashing your brake lights.

wow, good job man, hats off

Here's a couple of quick pics.

post-13068-1143077591_thumb.jpg

post-13068-1143077601_thumb.jpg

I have a appt at the toyota body shop on Tuesday. His insurance co is safeco. Anyone know anything about safeco? Hopefully they're fair.

Here's a couple of quick pics.

post-13068-1143077591_thumb.jpg

post-13068-1143077601_thumb.jpg

I have a appt at the toyota body shop on Tuesday. His insurance co is safeco. Anyone know anything about safeco? Hopefully they're fair.

Safeco is a good insurance company, they have been in business since 1923. They usually pay claims fast. They are one of the 8 insurance companies that the agency that I work for represents. You should not have any problem!

Glad you and your fiancee are OK!!!! :D

Yea by the way tap the brakes and keep looking out of your rear view mirror...What ever works for you! :whistles:

Wes, what aweful news. It'll get taken care of though, and it doesn't look too bad. I got rear ended while I was stopped. I saw it happen too (I could see this girl in a Solara closing in really fast in my rearview mirror--then boom!), but I had no where to move to try and avoid the collision. Luckily my car was fine, not even a scratch!

I have a hunch that some idiot is going to total out my car before I get to see 300k on the odometer! If only I had a dime for everytime some has tried to change lanes in to me especially on the interstate....

yea. rear enders are kinda common lately. people just don't pay attention. my dad has like a new technique when driving. if he sees that a car is tailgating him toooo close, he'd put on his hazards and obviously the guy in the backs going "WTF?? Is his car broken or what? Why is he still going?" :huh: ;) I'm trying to use that technique also. People here in the USA aren't fond of using hazards. In the Philippines, they use hazards a lot. From simple backing out of parking slots or garages, to "get out of my way, it's an emergency" they use hazards. I just came from the Philippines like 3 months ago, and my driver uses the hazard a lot. sometimes after parking the truck (1995Mitsubishi Strada --formerly known here as the Mitsubishi Mighty Max) he'd forget to turn them off. lol <_< :)

So I got my estimate and my check from safeco today. The good thing was I had my previous estimate from when the same thing happened a few months ago, so I was able to compare them. Safeco's estimate gives me a "reconditioned" bumper instead of a new one. I think the difference is something like $50. Do I have the power to tell them what kind of bumper I want? I don't wanna sound like a jerk but the bumper that their guy hit is a OEM NEW toyota bumper. I know its just $50 but still... I also noticed where he didn't add in something called "3 stage paint" which added another $75 in paint labor. He claimed he forgot, but would take care of it whenever I took it in to get fixed. I'm seriously thinking about just cleaning it up myself, and keeping the money though...

3 Stage paint is the pearl paint. There's a color coat, a pearl coat, and a clear coat.

As for the bumper, you have the right to specify new OEM parts only until the vehicle is 7 years old. Since yours is a 98, if all they want to pay for is a used one or an aftermarket one you can't make them pay for a new one.