Heated Seats

I've only had my 98 ES for a few weeks so I'm still accommodating myself to all of the controls + stuff and yesterday I came upon the realization that I DON'T have heated seats! The controls are listed in the manual, but there are none in the car in reference to the picture.

I'm kind of bummed. I thought this was standard!

At any rate, I rarely used the heated seat option in my 92 ES. I am, after all in Southern Cali...!

Oh well.... :(

you can buy kits

it means removing the leather by undouing the hog pins

and placing a mat

much like a heating blanket under the leather

and the placing swithes

don't worry though most es owners say the seat heaters don't work a damn anyway

lol

actually it is also in part to a wireing problem that corrodes

since i changed mine it is like night and day

no more low power problems

i think which was all contributed from the one bad battery gorund to feed the car

I love my seat heaters. Especially now that they have two settings. My dad's 98 LS only has one, "Super !Removed! Burn", now I have "Warm" and "Super !Removed! Burn".

Only thing I've noticed is, when you first turn them on, they start out on Super !Removed! Burn and you have to turn them down.

Strange that the LS had only one position, "Super !Removed! Burn"??? My '94 ES had factory seat heaters with a rocker switch on the console that had low & high heater positions. :huh:

mine has 2. low and high.they dont work that great anyway.they get warm but not hot at all.on the highway they seem to get hotter then in the city.i dont understand what thats about but i think it has something to do with the voltage.

bbsal you answered your own question

it is the volatage being raised an sustained by the crap alternators with less loa on them

and cooler under the hood to transmit power,which gets slowed by heat resistance

i figuered it was the alternater.is there a better one we could put in there.i know they sell system alternaters for high voltage amplifers because my freind has one but not sure if they make them for our car.he has a hell of a audio system by the way.he won all kinds of awards for it.i think it cost him like 600 bucks though!

I think it would be a good idea to read about alternators before saying that the Lexus alternators are crap.

Lexus vehicles were designed to put out sufficient voltage and amperage under normal operating conditions, but if you find that this is not enough you can always change them to a higher output unit. Most people don't need to do this though unless they've added elecrical components that are very demanding such as high power audio systems, RF transmitting equipment, etc.

The seat heaters of the earlier ES's were all pretty weak and it had nothing to do with the alternator.

Read: http://www.misterfixit.com/alterntr.htm

i think the alt's are ok but under idles they are crap

i can run the system fine

( as i did last night on downtown Toronto streets as everyone was partying for Caribana, a caribean parade)

and it ran much better at idle thn it ever did

with the sytem at full tilt

i tried the seat heaters

and guess what

they still didn't get hot

only luke warm

i think the settings should be

1 off

2 kinda off

3 and hmmm are these things working yet

i agree 110 percent with you!under idle the suck!everything is dull and the air condition even lowers.when you hit the gas you can see the lights get brighter and the air flows faster.overall i still think there crap.i had a 400watt bleepty lanzar amo hooked up to a rockford dvc and the lights were blinking from that!just imagine if i had a 800 watt rockforde amp!!!just my opinoin

lexus is now using a smaller wheel

thus causing the alt to spin faster and produce more power

but it is the same alternator

so they found a good way to fix bad engineeering without a crappy band aid solution

but like i mentioned since i chanegd those wires

i don't have dim lights radio hvac fan speed or the dash being yellow anymore

just a though spend 20 for some wires and redo it