I'm New

Hey everyone. I am a new Lexus owner (97 ES300) and new to this forum! I have a couple of questions.

When I bought my car, the plastic piece that fits into the CD changer (that holds the CDs) was missing. We contacted the dealer and he said he'd pay for a new one. Where can I get one and how much are they?

Also, what type of battery does the remote entry take? I have the standard key fob (the buttons are not actually ON the key, but rather on a seperate fob). How much are those approximately?

Lastly, my steering wheel is a little cracked (probably from sitting in the sun). How can I fix this? What are my options? I read here that someone sent their wheel in to be re-stitched. I do not want to spend a lot of money, but I don't want some cheap steering wheel cover either. It would ruin the natural beauty of the car!

Thanks everyone!!

:magic: -Chad

good answer piggy

the leather wheels only cheap option is a new one

the dealer is the only place i can think of to get what you are talking about but i am not sure what it is

are you tlking about the magazine that goes in the cd changer ?

if it is then the dealer and other pioneer audio stores cna order it

piggy- did you go with the Wal-Mart fake burlwood cover? I did! :lol: But its not the one with the little nubbins all around it, rather perforated fake leather. B) But hey, it looks good with my black interior, b/c the fake leather is black! My steering wheel is rubber though, b/c my car doesn't have leather appointments. Same with the shift lever and brake lever; rubber. <_< This is good though, b/c it doesn't wear like the leather does.

catridges are many times on ebay and can be had at www.lexus-parts.com for usually less than the random dealership.

battery is a battery.......open the fob, go to CVS, WalMart, or Autozone (take battery with you), match numbers. Will be about $1.99-3.99 each. Found it....good.....now throw the old one out BEFORE you open the new one. put new one in.

same for the wheel, check ebay. There is a place to send it out. don't quote me, but it is something like www.autostiches.com

do a search on steering wheels.

steviej

nevermind, got ahead of myself there.....so forget that question...

by the way chad, welcome to the forum!

i haven't been here too long, but it sure is darn helpful :)

by the way, thanks to everyone on the forum, i'm learning stuff now, of course without a few mess-ups, but i'm getting there..

Stevie, I think you're talking about www.american-stitches.com-I think they're somewhere in Texas. You take off your dried cracked wheel, mail it to them, and they recover it in leather or leather and wood(I think they have a few other options too). I'm about to have mine done; they gave me a price of $260 for just leather.

I also bought a 97es300 w/ a cracked steering wheel.

I went to www.car-part.com and found a steering wheel from an 1998 lexus w/ only 30k miles. It's like new for only $75 shipped. It took me 10 minutes to swap them out.

Before you buy, ask the condition of the steering wheel, you don't want to buy another that looks like yours...all cracked and stuff. Also, make sure it's the same color.

Good luck,

Jimi

my steering wheel is just "loved" by some anxious person who wore it down to nothing.....got lazy and bought a steering wheel cover.....shoulda gone with a simple perforated one like the original one my dad had..but no.....had to get the blackest one i could find....... gonna replace it with transformers :)... im too lazy to replace the whole damn thing.....too much time and money when i could just grab, plop on and go....

My steering wheel was worn and I purchased a product called Wheelskins. It comes with a leather cover, leather stitching material, and a needle. It took me about 30-45 minutes to install. I was a little skeptical because the website picture looks kinda iffy, but it really looks and feels good. The Wheelskin web site price is $39.95 but I found it cheaper at another site. Just google wheelskins (all one word).

:cheers:

lex: ?

by the way, what the heck IS my dash,siding on doors, etc made of?

it is all made of vinyl

only the upper and forward parts of the seat are leather

basically any place your body touches when sitting is