Door Removal When The Door Won't Open

benes300

I have yet to figure out why my driver side door won't open from either side. You can hear movement of the lock inside the door when you turn the key one way or the other, but the door just won't open. Any help would be great, and if the removal of the door is necessary, please advise on how to open the door when you can't access the screws that are on the sides of the door. Thanks in advance.

benes300

I have yet to figure out why my driver side door won't open from either side. You can hear movement of the lock inside the door when you turn the key one way or the other, but the door just won't open. Any help would be great, and if the removal of the door is necessary, please advise on how to open the door when you can't access the screws that are on the sides of the door. Thanks in advance.

benes300

Without knowing what year it is......

Is the door in a "locked" state? If so , can you get a grip on the popup lock knob & pull it up to unlock it?

Try downloading the FSM for ES model thats stickied at the top of the forum page (Thanks again to our friend Santarme!). The body volume gives good pictures of the inside of the door.

Maybe a slimjim would work if you could "hook" onto and push/pull the linkage rod that open the lock mechanism?

You'll probably have to take the interior panel off to see what's going on in there.

I worked with a guy once that took liquid nails to the inside door jam on the car of the guy his wife was cheating on him with. The door never opened again.

You'll probably have to take the interior panel off to see what's going on in there.

I worked with a guy once that took liquid nails to the inside door jam on the car of the guy his wife was cheating on him with. The door never opened again.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=27434&hl=

benes300

I had EXACTLY the same problem with my 92 ES last summer. We tried everything: locksmith, Lexus dealer (estimate: $800 to diagnose!) Finally took it to my mechanic, Sean the wonderful mechanic, and he fixed it with a used locking mechanism from a bone yard without damaging to the door (something no one else could figure out how to do)

I don't know how he got the door off but if you want to email me I will give you his phone number and you can ask him.

Total cost for repair: $122.00

rosie

How can I get that information from you? I tried to send a personal message, but it threw an error back at me, same when I tried to email you. It said I couldn't do it from the board.

Ask for SEAN at Ger-Brock Performance (on Killingsworth) in Portland Oregon.

Can't help on the message thing.

rosie

How can I get that information from you? I tried to send a personal message, but it threw an error back at me, same when I tried to email you. It said I couldn't do it from the board.

you cannot not access email and personal messaging on LOC until your post count is over 20. currently you are at 4. It is a precaution to help deter people that join just to spam our members.

steviej

Same thing happened to my '92 ES300. First you pull the front fender, exposing the door hinges. Removing the hinge screws allows the door to pry out a bit in the front. This allows the door panel to be removed, exposing the guts. You can then manually open the door by maniupulating the mechanism. You will find that a spring in the electric lock mechanism has fatigued and broken. Not at all easy but possible.

Same thing happened to my '92 ES300. First you pull the front fender, exposing the door hinges. Removing the hinge screws allows the door to pry out a bit in the front. This allows the door panel to be removed, exposing the guts. You can then manually open the door by maniupulating the mechanism. You will find that a spring in the electric lock mechanism has fatigued and broken. Not at all easy but possible.

I think my mechanic took the molding off the interior between front and back to access something. I do not think he removed a fender. I could be wrong but he forgot to replace a small piece and that is why I think so.......

rosie

• 2 weeks later...

What is the spring called and how much do you think one would be? Sorry I'm asking so much, I just want to make sure I do this right. This list is incredible by the way, thank you all for your help.

My body guy affected the repair, and he used a spring from some other Toyota door he had in his scrap pile. He said that it is obvious once you get to the mechanism. I'll see him tomorrow, so if I learn more I'll let you know.