Planned On Getting 98+, May Consider 97 Now

Broker

I had been set on getting a gen. 2.5 ls400, but I've found a 1997 that looks brand new still, even with 150k miles, that I might consider buying. Can anyone tell me exactly what features I will miss out on? I know the engine and transmission are different, but how much difference is felt in the real world? and I know it won't have HID headlights. are they just as reliable otherwise also? thanks in advance.

I had been set on getting a gen. 2.5 ls400, but I've found a 1997 that looks brand new still, even with 150k miles, that I might consider buying. Can anyone tell me exactly what features I will miss out on? I know the engine and transmission are different, but how much difference is felt in the real world? and I know it won't have HID headlights. are they just as reliable otherwise also? thanks in advance.

I thought that the engines were similar. The 98+ are VVTi and the 95-97 are VVT (I think). Nav was only available on a limited basis on th e late Gen II so that may or may not be something. Aside from that the cars are very similar.

from a practical stand point, i would consider purchasing the 97, mainly due to the 98 being interference, the 97 was the last year it wasn't, just something to think about

can you explain about the 98 engine being interference? I'm guessing it has something to do with the variable valve timing, and I've also heard that if your timing belt goes on the 98+ it is much more costly.

According to lexls.com - there were lots of impovements from 97 to 98:

- Redesigned front end. Changes to the hood, fenders, grille, front bumper, and front lights.

- Discharge headlight became standard equipment on Canadian models and optional equipment for US models.

- Slightly refined rear lights.

- Outer rearview mirror was changed to reduce wind noise.

- Wheels were redesigned and now have 5 spokes.

- A retractable headrest was added to the rear center seat.

- Another rear personal light was added to the rear quarter pillar area.

- A leather & wood steering wheel and wood shifter were introduced as optional equipment.

- VVT-i (variable valve timing-intelligent) system and the ACIS (acoustic control induction system) was adopted in the 1UZ-FE engine to improve fuel economy, improve performance, and reduce emissions. ETCS-i (electronic throttle control system) was also added to ensure excellent controllability of the vehicle and improve its comfort. Worlds first production V8 engine with VVT-i.

- 290 hp @ 6000 rpm and 300 ft-lbs of torque @ 4000 rpm (vs 260hp/280ft-lb for 95~97)

- The 4-speed automatic transmission was replaced by a 5-speed transmission.

- Propeller shaft was slightly changed.

- The differential gear ratio was reduced to improve fuel economy. 2 mounts were used on both the front and rear of the differential to further reduce vibration and noise.

- The VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) system was added.

- Suspension and brakes slightly revised.

- The hydraulic circuit of the power steering system changed.

- More work on the body and sound dampening material to further reduce vibration and noise.

- An automatic headlight beam level control system was added to models with HID headlights.

- A headlight off delay system was added to keep the headlights on for a set period of time after occupants exit the car.

- A multi-information display was added to the instrument cluster to display vehicle data and warnings. The design of the shift indicator was changed.

- An automatic recirculation system was added to automatically switch the air inlet mode in accordance with the level of concentration of harmful elements in the air.

- An all-door one-touch auto up and down function was added.

- A jam protection function was added to prevent a person's hand or other object from becoming caught in the door window.

- A function to operate all windows was added to the door lock remote control.

- Changes were made to the engine immobiliser system. The starter cutoff function was discontinued. The theft deterrent system was slightly changed.

- The construction and operation of the inflator for the front passenger air bag was changed.

- A garage door opener was added to the map lamp area.

- A seat belt warning for the front passenger was added. The display method for the seat belt warning system changed from the illumination type to the flashing type.

- A navigation system was offered for the first time as an option.

- Some changes to the audio system. A diversity rear window imprinted antenna system started to be used.

- Top speed = 149 mph; 0-60 = 6.3 seconds (vs 7.7sec on 95~97 models); 0-400m = 14.9 seconds.

I've been kicking myself since I bought the 97 instead of 98 couple of years ago! the power gain (290hp vs 260hp, 6.3sec vs 7.7sec) itself worth the money! the HID/NAV/Clear head-light lense.... etc are very nice to have as well. also, stereo LED display issues are very common for 95~97.

it's very unclear that whether 95~97 has non-interference engine or not, the oppions are 50-50 split!

95-97 engines are NOT interference engines. This only came about when they went to variable timing in 98+. So if our timing belt breaks...it just needs another timing belt, as where the 98+ models, if the belt breaks....it's done for.

I used to think that! however, after seeing so many references on web search stating 95~97 being interferance-type because Lexus increased the compresion ratio from 10:1 or 10.4:1 since 95 model. now, I just don't know what to believe.

BTW, the 'i' in the designation "VVTi" stands for "intelligent", not 'interference'.

Well, my wife has a 96 LS400and I have a 2000 LS400. I think that if you like the 97 and it seems to be a good deal to you, then that's the one you should get. Yes, the 2000 has more power than the 96, but the 96 has plenty and you won't be embarrassed by the 97. Yes, the headlights may be different, but I prefer the 96 headlights. The only thing I would miss if I had to trade the 2000 for the 96 is the reading light in the back seat. My daughter really likes that. The 5 speed transmission is probably an advantage as well, because I'm getting about 28 mpg on the 2000. I'm not sure about the 96, because my wife has a different driving style than I do (she would say hers is "spirited"). Otherwise, I think it comes down to the price and the deal.

You need to drive the 2 of them and compare. You may very well hate the eletronic throttle that the '98+ has. The '98+ is drop dead gorgeous and has numerous improvements, but I'd have a really hard time getting used to the throttle lag.

:cheers:

I'm selling my 97 LS with 119k on the odometer. All service done at the Lexus dealer w/ print-outs. It's pearl white with chrome wheels and new Michelins. I'd sell it for $10900.00 if interested.

Mike

Ladies and Gents,

I drive a 99LS and so far it's been a bullet proof car... In fact, what money I've spent on it I didn't care about. These cars are built so well, they remind you of a practical Mercedes Benz. Same looks, same style, performance etc. Just throw in more reliability and a reduced price tag for everything - including the car.

As for the difference, well - if you like the versatility of really good performance and luxury when you hammer the pedal, the 98-00 rocks! As for pedal lag, you can control that if you change the tranny adjusment to POWER. While driving with the car adjusted to normal, I notice little throttle lag anyway. (Blake, there ain't much). If you really want to roll, you can use the shifter and move it into Low and work your gears forward (not something I do often). This is what I like about the car - you can adjust the hell out of it. I drive normal to slow anyway. If that's your gig and power isn't your jones, the 1997 will do you fine.

If you like to rock & roll occasionally, go with a 98+. If you roll a lot... go with the 98+ and change that timing belt every 60K - costs about 1K per fix. If you break one, its a new engine that you'll need to keep rollin'.

Great choice either way!

post-21921-1138120940_thumb.jpg

can you explain about the 98 engine being interference? I'm guessing it has something to do with the variable valve timing, and I've also heard that if your timing belt goes on the 98+ it is much more costly.

On an interference engine, the valves and the pistons share the same space in the engine cylinder. Normally this is OK as the piston is down in the cylinder when the valves are open (protruding into the cylinder) and when the piston moves up the valves are closed. I believe it is possible to achieve greater compression and thus more power with this type of configuration. All of the opening and closing of the valves and movement of the pistons is controlled by the timing belt. If the timing belt breaks you run a high risk of having the piston(s) collide with the valve(s) which will desroy the valves and require a major engine rebuild.

The lease was ending on my 96 LS400 and I was trying to decide whether or not to purchase that car. Test drove a 99 LS400 and felt the changes were sufficient to justify going with the newer version. Several key inputs to my decision were: HID headlights and front-end looked better; Information Center; Revised dash was a nice upgrade; Wood and Leather on steering wheel and shift knob were nice touches; Polished wheels vs. silver painted on the 96; More horsepower; Suspension changes(?) made car handle better; and Most of all I liked the color better and it was a brand-new car that I am still driving today, 6.5 years later. And that's saying something because the longest I had kept any of my previous nine cars was 3 years. This car has been flawless - other than routine maintenance and tires, I've only had to have a brake job done at 75k. Bottom line: Based on my experience with the two cars you are considering, I would recommend the gen 2.5

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm selling my 97 LS with 119k on the odometer. All service done at the Lexus dealer w/ print-outs. It's pearl white with chrome wheels and new Michelins. I'd sell it for $10900.00 if interested.

Mike

let me know if you haven't sold your car --- i would be very interested!! email is gbmyers@hotmail.com

Much better choice.

Is jade a dark or light green?

it's a pearl green, dark but not too dark. it's the green that isn't two tone, same body color top and bottom, I've seen others with a green that didn't sparkle as much and had a grey bottom