Key Wont Go All The Way In

kshgl87

so i went out to my car after i got some food and my key wouldnt go all the way in the lock, it will go about 90% of the way in but then it stops. There has always been a little more resistance that last little ways but im not sure if the lock just finally gave in or if one of the people that was there could have stuck something in the lock. anyway my real ? is, is there a way to take the actual lock apart to fix it or would this cost me some money.

Is it realli cold. Perhaps u need to get those deicer for ur door lock.

I have that problem actually... but i know it's not b/c it's frozen... sometimes it is. Sometimes it would go in... but not turn.

But i usually spray PB BLAST (kinda like WD-40 perhaps better.. or sometimes Silicon spray). I would stick the straw... n spray inside. Let it soak in for a while... n push the key in n out... in n out. N also locking it n unlocking it. Then i would spray some more.

I dont know if that is good or bad.... but it works for me. So far it hasn't gotten stuck n e more.

Perhaps u can follow this tutorial... i know its for removing the door handle... but u can access the door lock this way... n check for urself.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/body/fdoorhandle.html

I dont know how much it would cost if u bring it to someone. Good luck.

Tom :lol:

However... my trunk lock has frozen closed. No amount of PB blast would get that to budge.

Sorry, no help here from me. I'm hoping others may chime in, as I have 2 keys, and one of them does what you describe. The other one works fine, so the issue is the key.

Did a quick search on LOC; no LUC.

I wonder, does the steel need an occasional spray down with contact cleaner or such?

TRY TAKING THE KEY AND PUTTING IT IN HOT CANDLE WAX. After the wax is dry on the key put it in. I have a 1997 Jeep and this trick worked for me. It also works on home doors too. Just clean excess wax off of your key after you do this.

So n e luck on ur post? Did u try n e of the suggestions? I recently sprayed a friend's car with PB BLAST... n it seemed to losen it up. I think over time due to the environment... they probably get a bit rusted inside n a lil worn out.

Let us know wut u did.

If u dont have n e PB Blast... n e silicon spray lubricant will work

Tom