Ect Snow Button Function

Grumpa72

Well, we finally had a decent snowfall in Pittsburgh and I decided to re-read the owner's manual on the function of the "ECT Snow" button, just to the left of the shifter on my 05 RX. Talk about a lack of information.

Do any of you have good information other than what the manual says? IIRC, it says to get started, push the button. Is it like locking a differential on a 4x4 pickup? How fast can you go with the button pressed and the light on? I am thinking that when using the system, that one should limit the speed to very slow.

Any ideas or thoughts on this?

Gary

All the button does is start the car in 2nd gear to help take off in slippery conditions--thats it!

You can use it all year if you want and it would be ok, it has nothing to do with DIfferentails.

And you can go as fast as your 330 can go! There is no speed limit for it of you have it pressed.

All the button does is start the car in 2nd gear to help take off in slippery conditions--thats it!

You can use it all year if you want and it would be ok, it has nothing to do with DIfferentails.

And you can go as fast as your 330 can go!  There is no speed limit for it of you have it pressed.

Great information. Where did you get that? I think that, as great as this car is, the manual leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks

Gary

And you can go as fast as your 330 can go!  There is no speed limit for it of you have it pressed.

Great information. Where did you get that? I think that, as great as this car is, the manual leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks

Gary

My manual has poor info at the very best as well. Called he dealer and he explained it exactly as mentioned above. Does nothing more than start your Lexus in second gear. Simply helps in the slipping department. Mine is AWD with the rear Limited Slip. I have no issues and have never used the ECT option..

Keep in mind that this is a Japanese vehicle with a manual written by a Japanese company. It was probably first written in Japanese and then translated to English. For example the manual says of the SNOW ECT button, "USE THIS MODE WHEN STARTING YOUR VEHICLE IN ICE AND SNOW". Some could misunderstand this to mean actually turning the car on. A better translation would be, "USE THIS MODE WHEN ACCELERATING YOUR VEHICLE IN ICE AND SNOW FROM A STAND STILL"

For more examples of bad translation check out Engrish.com

Well, we finally had a decent snowfall in Pittsburgh and I decided to re-read the owner's manual on the function of the "ECT Snow" button, just to the left of the shifter on my 05 RX.  Talk about a lack of information. 

Do any of you have good information other than what the manual says?  IIRC, it says to get started, push the button.  Is it like locking a differential on a 4x4 pickup?  How fast can you go with the button pressed and the light on?  I am thinking that when using the system,  that one should limit the speed to very slow. 

Gary

I was told by the dealer that this function started the car off in second gear rather than first to prevent tire spinning and easier traction in snow.

Dan

Well, we finally had a decent snowfall in Pittsburgh and I decided to re-read the owner's manual on the function of the "ECT Snow" button, just to the left of the shifter on my 05 RX.  Talk about a lack of information. 

Do any of you have good information other than what the manual says?  IIRC, it says to get started, push the button.  Is it like locking a differential on a 4x4 pickup?  How fast can you go with the button pressed and the light on?  I am thinking that when using the system,  that one should limit the speed to very slow. 

Gary

I was told by the dealer that this function started the car off in second gear rather than first to prevent tire spinning and easier traction in snow.

Dan

It not only starts in 2nd gear the acceleration is also retarded. Works Great on my GS here in Mn. winters.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont notice anything on my rx330, but today i tried it on my is300 and big mistake...to do it while on the freeway. It basically shifted down and the rpm meter went way up...kinda like limiting my speed

YOU are talking about the OD (overdrive) button and thats correct on what happened!~ We are talking about the ECT SNOW button--totally differant thing :chairshot:

I dont notice anything on my rx330, but today i tried it on my is300 and big mistake...to do it while on the freeway. It basically shifted down and the rpm meter went way up...kinda like limiting my speed

YOU are talking about the OD (overdrive) button and thats correct on what happened!~ We are talking about the ECT SNOW button--totally differant thing :chairshot:

oh common, im not that stupid...how can you misunderstand the OD button for the SNOW button. There isnt even and OD button on the IS. im sure its the SNOW button...on top of the POWER button next to the shifter

Edited by Rx330driver