Advantages Of A New Battery

91L3xus

I have been considering buying a new battery for my car, because to me it looks like it has been recharged in the past and would feel much more confident with a fresh battery. When I got a major tune up a few weeks back, the shop tested the battery to be around 55%, then guestimated another 6-12 months on the battery depending on conditions. I've noticed things like the dash lights dimming when applying the brakes and turn signal, and also the RPM's dropping when I turn the headlights on (which is most likely an alernator problem). In the SC forum, I was reading on how getting a new battery fixed the sloppy sound of the stock stereo system. Would my stereo potentially gain some of its sound quality back if I got a new battery? I am really sick of putting money into this car, and am not willing to spend money (without currently having a job) just to get my speakers to work better. Although it would be a nice side effect along with easier starts, faster power windows, etc. and what not.

And if a new battery is the best bet, which have you had good history with? I have an Interstate in my 4Runner which has worked very well for almost 2 years now.

The Oct. or Nov. issue of Consumer Reports rated batteries. One brand of batteries carried by Autozone and one brand carried by Walmart both did well, plus they both had a 2 year free replacement guarantee (the best guarantee available in the battery business).

The ultimate quality battery is likely the genuine Toyota TrueStart battery available at the Parts Dept's. of Toyota dealers.

The Oct. or Nov. issue of Consumer Reports rated batteries.  One brand of batteries carried by Autozone and one brand carried by Walmart both did well, plus they both had a 2 year free replacement guarantee (the best guarantee available in the battery business).

The ultimate quality battery is likely the genuine Toyota TrueStart battery available at the Parts Dept's. of Toyota dealers.

What sets the Toyota TrueStart battery apart from the rest?

Probably because it's a genuine OEM "replacement" of the original battery, just as the best replacement for a timing belt for a Toyota would be a timing belt bought from the dealer/ parts distributor.

I checked the Optima site, but they didn't have an application for my car. If they had a 198_-1991 Camry battery, would that work?

and here we go again with yet another genuine Toyota part declaration. :wacko:

I believe Toyota batteries are made by Panasonic.

sj

Genuine Toyota TrueStart Batteries

Features Include:

* Matrix Radial Grids to help your battery meet today's high current starting demands.

* The right balance of Cold Cranking Amps and Reserve Capacity to provide power

and cranking ability time after time.

* A patented lead alloy feature that reduces corrosion of lead parts and extends the

life of your battery.

* A Negative Plate Paste Expander that reduces damage caused by high under-hood

temperature or extreme heat.

Why your battery should be a Genuine Toyota Replacement:

* The only warranty replacement battery approved for your Toyota vehicle.

* Meets or exceeds Toyota specifications for all vehicles.

* The exceptional 84-Month Warranty!

* 24-month FREE Replacement.

* 60-month proration in a simple two tier priced plan.

* Includes Towing and Installation Labor.

* Coast-to-Coast warranty service at more than 1,200 locations!

Cookie to stevej! Just rebadged Panisonic.

Battery warrentee/replacement has always been such a joke. Half of them with a 5-7 year don't make it & the ones that do, if you were to test them they'd be in bad shape.

The general rule of thumb is if you check between the cable & post, there shouldn't be more than about 20ma of current draw with the car & everyhting in it off.

"Optima-ish" gel cell battery's seem to be the best. A bit more expencive, but they are the best. They're sold on generic size.

For 92-96 it's:

D51R

Dimensions- L9.5in x W 5.1in x H 9in

a7_1_b.JPG

D34/78 also fits. It tends to require shimming up so it fits under the bracket & making/replacing the wires longer to reach.

Beware of what models you do get. A test fit is the best way. Or breaking out the tape measure!!! As a lot of Optima's have the posts swapped to the wrong ends. You don't wanna have a Lexus & be looking like a dork!

535237_231_full.jpg

Hawker Odessy's are pimp too! :lol:

Please…. make it stop; Too funny. The best propaganda/commercial to date monarch. Do you NOT post on OEM stuff? I hope it is monarch approved via Toyota. Toyota must love people like you. They can kick you down and lie and you keep going back...

The ones I personally like (very laughable at best) are as you posted;

1) The only warranty replacement battery approved for your Toyota vehicle.

2) Meets or exceeds Toyota specifications for all vehicles

3) The right balance of Cold Cranking Amps and Reserve Capacity to provide power

and cranking ability time after time

4) Coast-to-Coast warranty service at more than 1,200 locations.

Thanks but I will take my Optima Red top (34R)for less, performs better and in a small space.

Please…. make it stop; Too funny. The best propaganda/commercial to date monarch. Do you NOT post on OEM stuff? I hope it is monarch approved via Toyota. Toyota must love people like you. They can kick you down and lie and you keep going back...

The ones I personally like (very laughable at best) are as you posted;

1) The only warranty replacement battery approved for your Toyota vehicle.

2) Meets or exceeds Toyota specifications for all vehicles

3) The right balance of Cold Cranking Amps and Reserve Capacity to provide power

and cranking ability time after time

4) Coast-to-Coast warranty service at more than 1,200 locations.

Thanks but I will take my Optima Red top (34R)for less, performs better and in a small space.

I knrw I could get him going :lol: , OPTIMA in both my LEX. :cheers:

The Oct. or Nov. issue of Consumer Reports rated batteries.  One brand of batteries carried by Autozone and one brand carried by Walmart both did well, plus they both had a 2 year free replacement guarantee (the best guarantee available in the battery business).

Did Optima make the list? & If so, what place did it rank? B)

:cheers:

and here we go again with yet another genuine Toyota part declaration. :wacko:

I believe Toyota batteries are made by Panasonic.

sj

I was going to say the exact same thing steviej! :rolleyes: Glad someone else beat me to it. :whistles:

hmmm.. :blushing::chairshot:

If you think 2-years is "the best guarantee available in the battery business" that is just great.

I will take again my Red-Top Optima, it is 3 years free replacement.

Plus I would not take Consumer Reports as the gospel here either. I have seen reports say something is great and I tried it and it sucks. Seen the same thing by them, they state something is poor and works better then ever.

One thing I did learn that I did not know.......Toyota batteries (regular batteries now.....I knew Panasonic made Toyota's Hybrid battery systems) are made by Panasonic. Thank's steviej! B)

It is wise also if you live in a climate that is quite cold in the winter to get a battery that has the most CCA (cold cranking amps) as possible. Batteries loose alot of 'juice' when it is extremely cold. B)

One thing I did learn that I did not know.......Toyota batteries (regular batteries now.....I knew Panasonic made Toyota's Hybrid battery systems) are made by Panasonic.  Thank's steviej!  B)

It is wise also if you live in a climate that is quite cold in the winter to get a battery that has the most CCA (cold cranking amps) as possible.  Batteries loose alot of 'juice' when it is extremely cold.  B) 

The choice is yours when it comes to what you want to put in your car, I have used just about every battery that has been on the market in the last 25 years and with all the experiences I have had with batteries failing , oozing, cracking,and soforth I wouldn't put anything else but a OPTIMA in any car.

and here we go again with yet another genuine Toyota part declaration.  :wacko: I believe Toyota batteries are made by Panasonic.

My point, as usual, is that Toyota often requires its suppliers to build parts, fluids, filters, etc. to different or higher standards. Example: Toyota contracts Purolator to build the genuine Toyota #08922-02011 ES 300 V6 oil filter. But Toyota just didn't go to Purolator and say: "hey guys, please rebadge one of your your existing oil filters and send us a bill." Instead, Toyota required Purolator to build a filter with unique design features. Here are just three of several unique design features you won't find in any auto parts store Purolator oil filter:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/fbrick.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/ftread.jpg

and here we go again with yet another genuine Toyota part declaration. :wacko: I believe Toyota batteries are made by Panasonic.

My point, as usual, is that Toyota often requires its suppliers to build parts, fluids, filters, etc. to different or higher standards. Example: Toyota contracts Purolator to build the genuine Toyota #08922-02011 ES 300 V6 oil filter. But Toyota just didn't go to Purolator and say: "hey guys, please rebadge one of your your existing oil filters and send us a bill." Instead, Toyota required Purolator to build a filter with unique design features. Here are just three of several unique design features you won't find in any auto parts store Purolator oil filter:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/fbrick.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/ftread.jpg

I just don't beleive this, What the Hell does a filter build quality have to do with a battery? These interjections have to come to an end. Meanwhile IALMAO. :lol::lol::lol:

I think it falls under the Miata syndrom. Toyota wanted a battery with the posts swapped to the opposite ends so more people would buy a battery they sold.

(Miata's use a tea-tiny Panisonic battery)

It's the same thing with Toyota's metric hardware & even more like Ford's hardware.

Toyota has odd little qualities about their hardware for no other reason that to get you to buy their stuff @ 10x the price.

Ford takes standard hardware, then creates a f'ed up pitch to the threads so you either buy their stuff at many times the price, ut something normal in there & hope it doesn't strip, or you drill & tap everything to a normal size.

Most likely, like everyone else, they just went to a large supplyer with stable prices that can ship in easily. Panisonic fits into that mold of thinking. :cheers:

I think it falls under the Miata syndrom. Toyota wanted a battery with the posts swapped to the opposite ends so more people would buy a battery they sold.

(Miata's use a tea-tiny Panisonic battery)

It's the same thing with Toyota's metric hardware & even more like Ford's hardware.

Toyota has odd little qualities about their hardware for no other reason that to get you to buy their stuff @ 10x the price.

Ford takes standard hardware, then creates a f'ed up pitch to the threads so you either buy their stuff at many times the price, ut something normal in there & hope it doesn't strip, or you drill & tap everything to a normal size.

Most likely, like everyone else, they just went to a large supplyer with stable prices that can ship in easily. Panisonic fits into that mold of thinking.  :cheers:

Toys, You are so right.

What the Hell does a filter build quality have to do with a battery? 

Well if the build quality of a factory original Panasonic or genuine Toyota TrueStart replacement battery is superior to comparable auto parts store batteries then it's likely to be more reliable and durable.

I have not sat down and examined the build quality of a factory original Panasonic or genuine Toyota TrueStart battery vs. auto parts store batteries. However, it is an undisputable fact that Toyota vehicles in general are substantially more reliable and durable than any American car. Therefore there must be substantial differences in build quality of the parts, filters and fluids that make up a Toyota.

I just don't beleive this, What the Hell does a filter build quality have to do with a battery? These interjections have to come to an end. Meanwhile IALMAO. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I agree. This is TOOOO FUNNY!!!! :P :blink: :D :)

I did not that Toyota Engineer want-a-bee's place bricks on there a cut open oil filter (with used oil all over) to say, we have a good design boys and that means a good battery too!

Please make it stop. This thread should be called, "someone is getting owned BIGTIME". And I thought Wal-!Removed! was great for a laugh!

Well if the build quality of a factory original Panasonic or genuine Toyota TrueStart replacement battery is superior to comparable auto parts store batteries then it's likely to be more reliable and durable.

I have not sat down and examined the build quality of a factory original Panasonic or genuine Toyota TrueStart battery vs. auto parts store batteries. However, it is an undisputable fact that Toyota vehicles in general are substantially more reliable and durable than any American car. Therefore there must be substantial differences in build quality of the parts, filters and fluids that make up a Toyota.

you stated "Well if the build quality of a factory original Panasonic or genuine Toyota TrueStart replacement battery is superior to comparable auto parts store batteries then it's likely to be more reliable and durable."

Then you stated "I have not sat down and examined the build quality of a factory original Panasonic or genuine Toyota TrueStart battery vs. auto parts store batteries."

How can you state this fact when you are guessing????

Then, because someone builds good cars will few/little items, that coralates to a good battery??? I did not know a good brake fluid ment a great car...LOL Then again Toyota did not even make the battery..

So my last truck had great windshield wipers and breaks brakes, I guess now it means the complete diesel truck was good.

Toysrme hit it on the head. What do you think Lexus charges an arm and a leg for there oil (aka dino mobil); hence it is a scam or profit. Why sell oil at normal prices when they (Lexus) can make there own special bottle (for $0.050) and charge (4x more).

Then again my mustang 5.0 floor mats where great........ :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

you stated "Well if the build quality of a factory original Panasonic or genuine Toyota TrueStart replacement battery is superior to comparable auto parts store batteries then it's likely to be more reliable and durable."

Then you stated "I have not sat down and examined the build quality of a factory original Panasonic or genuine Toyota TrueStart battery vs. auto parts store batteries."

How can you state this fact when you are guessing????

Then, because someone builds good cars will few/little items, that coralates to a good battery??? I did not know a good brake fluid ment a great car...LOL Then again Toyota did not even make the battery..

So my last truck had great windshield wipers and breaks brakes, I guess now it means the complete diesel truck was good.

Toysrme hit it on the head. What do you think Lexus charges an arm and a leg for there oil (aka dino mobil); hence it is a scam or profit. Why sell oil at normal prices when they (Lexus) can make there own special bottle (for $0.050) and charge (4x more).

Then again my mustang 5.0 floor mats where great........ :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

There are too many posts that end up like this when a certain fellow member chimes in, I personally am just going to use the tools of these boards to avoid further pointless debates. CIAO !!!

There are too many posts that end up like this when a certain fellow member chimes in, I personally am just going to use the tools of these boards to avoid further pointless debates. CIAO !!!

I hope the tools are only OEM here! :D :D :D :D

:lol::lol::lol: