Tire Key For The Lock Is Bad.... Need Help

just to get this clear, this isn't for the door lock, but for the tire bolt that has the special shape key to unlock it.. about how much will it cost do u think?

Will any tire center have that bolt to unlock my tires when I buy new tires or something?

Thanks again for your help SK

Btw, I hooked up my amp and sub today, couldn't find a remote wire and 12v wire from the antenna, so i just tap a wire to the ignition fuse to the amp and 12v wire directly from the battery. I heard much about not tapping into the fuse box, but this is for the remote wire, any suggestions?

The wheel locks on your Lexus were originally supplied by:

McGard, Inc.

3875 California Rd.

Orchard Park, NY 14127-4198

or

P.O. Box 102

Ft. Erie

Ontario L2A 5M6

Toll Free: 1-800-444-5847

or

Direct: 1-716-662-8980

The price of the Key is, $10

The price of the lock(4 required) is $7 each

You can call them to find out what they require to replace the key.

most tire shops and definately Lexus shops have the universal socket to get the lock nut off. If you don't have the key code, just go to you dealer and have them take the old ones off and put a new set on. The new set has the key and the new code. If the price is too high from them, then just have them take the lugs off.

I make it a point to always have an extra lock lug and an extra key in the garage.

steviej

The key should be adjustable in case it is stripped, it happend to me and i took it to a tire shop, the guy used a screw driver and pounded on it from the other end, that fixed the problem and charged me something like $10

nicecar,

Why'd he charge you 10 bucks for just hammering the key? His prices sound like Lexus Service Dept. prices!! :D Besides, you could have bought a brand new key from McGard for 10 bucks.

i couldn't find the key code on the glove compartment, only found a 5 digit number and mcard said it isn't the code. so no way of ordering it... and I don't have the manuals or cards that came with the card... :(

sush1a

Call McGard and ask if you could send them either your key or your lock or both so they can get the code and manufacture a new one for you. The telephone number is on a previous post in this thread.

Great, this was actually going to be my first question, and I didn't even have to ask! I just bought my ES300 from my aunt and drove it down here from Maine this last weekend. I noticed I was missing the key to the lock nuts and was wondering if I could get a new one, or if I'd have to buy a whole new set of lugs after getting the locks off. Now I know... thanks.

Adam7

Did you check in your trunk where the lug nut wrench is located? Earlier model Lexus cars have the the lug nut key affixed to this wrench so it doesn't get lost. ;)

Adam7

Did you check in your trunk where the lug nut wrench is located? Earlier model Lexus cars have the the lug nut key affixed to this wrench so it doesn't get lost. ;)

No, I haven't even lifted up the carpet yet, I've only had it down here in SC for two days so far. Thanks for the info though. :)

at this point I would have just gotten a whole new set and then ordered the extra key.

Any tire shop and a few of my friends can get the locks off (but they are tied up right now for about 10-20 for GTA). :rolleyes:

steviej

Adam7

Yup, that's where it was. Thanks for the help :)

personally

i wouldn't even bother using a key on stock rims

especially for an ES

who is going to steal tehm

the tires are probably worth more than the rim

besides if they go then you get to pick a nice new set

BTW

i have GTA vice city

it is an amazing video game

lol

and live i the GTA (greater toronto area)

actually, sk, wheel locks aren't a bad idea, same for "the club". For what little money they cost us and what little nuisence they present us, it is not a bad investment.

The wheel locks are simply one more visual deterent to protect you from the honest thief.

If a professional thief wants your wheel or for that matter, your car, they will get it in seconds, especially if it means that much to them.

For the punk kid that wants to pull a prank or score a set of Lex rims, the wheel locks will probably cause a delay in the acquisition so the chance of being caught is greater. The wheels with the wheel locks will most likely be left alone by the random idiot thief.

In the long run, if a $40 set of wheel locks saves me a $500 deductable payment and the hassel of getting new rims, then I will pay it happily.

Last I checked, stock rims ain't cheap either and the tire is another c-note on top of that.

steviej