Stinky Smell

babylexus92

Ok, here’s the deal I got a 92 LS 400 from my dad in pretty bad condition but we are finally getting it cleaned up. The first problem I have is:

There is a smell in air conditioning of the car, apparently someone left some food in the car for an extended about of time in the summer. I got the smell out of the car itself but when I turn on the AC I can smell it again. How can I get that out?

The lights where the temperature reading is, is out. How do I get that fixed?

HELP ANYONE!

:cries: :cries: :cries: :cries: :cries:

By the way, I am a woman and I need some help guys, I heard this was a good forum and this is my first post.

Look forward to hearing from you guys

:blushing:

Check to see if you have a cabin filter [there is a filter compartment on the bottom/back of the glovebox] and replace it. Take some antifungal solution and pour it down the vents on the bottom outside of the windshield and run the air while doing this, repeat several times with clean water rinses inbetween treatments. Let us know how it goes. Welcome to the club. :cheers:

Tulsa huh? I'm very familiar with Grand Lake and such. My parents are retiring in Grove...Monkey Island by ShangraLa. Anywho...that smell is from mold buildup in the ac evap box, it's very common on all cars actually. If you go by any auto parts store and tell them you need some mold killer spray for your ac, they should have a can or two. This is a quick fix, there are other proceedures that require a bit more work, but start with this. Spray the stuff into the intake vents like dcfish suggests. You'll want the air running to pull it into the system. Make sure the air is set on outside "fresh" and not recirculate.

First, the 92 did not have a pollen filter so don't bother looking.

Second, the 92 came from the factory with a porus nylon coating on the A/C evaporator into which was embedded an anti-bacterial chemical so that mold and mildew spores did not breed in the dark, dank, and moisture environment of the A/C plenum.

The problem was, is, that once the chemical leached out of the evaporator vane surfaces it then formed a virtually perfect habitat for those very same spores.

What I would do is put a battery charger on the battery, lower the rear windows and turn on the ignition and run the A/C blower continously for several night while exhausting 2 or 3 cans, intermittently, of lysol disinfectant spray over that same period of time.

Thereafter avoid, absolutely, the operation of the A/C except in times that it is actually needed for cooling. I disconnect the A/C compressor clutch connection in mine during the winter months. It also doesn't hurt to remember to lower the windows slightly in the garage at night for several days after the A/C is used, or during its summer use.

Now go to:

http://www.airsept.com

And read about their EED, Electronic Evaporator Dryer device.

Also be fully aware that this particular vehicle is VERY subject to sudden and unexpected windshield fogging due to a design flaw within the climate control system. Even if/when the indicator is on for FRESH incoming airflow that system may actually be predominatly in recirculate. Lexus tells me that the only way to be certain that the fresh mode is being used is to take the incoming airflow selection out of automatic mode by manually selecting fresh mode by depressing the rocker switch in that direction.

If your windshield should begin to fog over, even in the slightest, DO NOT select the defrost/defog/demist mode before turning the temperature setpoint to MAX HEAT.

Most early Lexus climate control systems rely EXCLUSIVELY on the A/C to defog the windshield. The A/C's ability to perform that task is dependent on external atmospheric conditions. Below about 45F this ability declines rapidly until at about 35F it is non-existent.

would you know if the '94 ls400 has a cabin filter? my mechanic told me it didn't, then said, 'oh wait' maybe it does. he said he'd know after he got in there to see. apparently, some of these cars were made with a place FOR a filter, but don't actually have one (according to him).

Second, the 92 came from the factory with a porus nylon coating on the A/C evaporator into which was embedded an anti-bacterial chemical so that mold and mildew spores did not breed in the dark, dank, and moisture environment of the A/C plenum.

The problem was, is, that once the chemical leached out of the evaporator vane surfaces it then formed a virtually perfect habitat for those very same spores.

What I would do is put a battery charger on the battery, lower the rear windows and turn on the ignition and run the A/C blower continously for several night while exhausting 2 or 3 cans, intermittently, of lysol disinfectant spray over that same period of time.

Thereafter avoid, absolutely, the operation of the A/C except in times that it is actually needed for cooling. I disconnect the A/C compressor clutch connection in mine during the winter months. It also doesn't hurt to remember to lower the windows slightly in the garage at night for several days after the A/C is used, or during its summer use.

Now go to:

Also be fully aware that this particular vehicle is VERY subject to sudden and unexpected windshield fogging due to a design flaw within the climate control system. Even if/when the indicator is on for FRESH incoming airflow that system may actually be predominatly in recirculate. Lexus tells me that the only way to be certain that  the fresh mode is being used is to take the incoming airflow selection out of automatic mode by manually selecting fresh mode by depressing the rocker switch in that direction.

If your windshield should begin to fog over, even in the slightest, DO NOT select the defrost/defog/demist mode before turning the temperature setpoint to MAX HEAT.

Most early Lexus climate control systems rely EXCLUSIVELY on the A/C to defog the windshield. The A/C's ability to perform that task is dependent on external atmospheric conditions. Below about 45F this ability declines rapidly until at about 35F it is non-existent.

Now go to:

Also be fully aware that this particular vehicle is VERY subject to sudden and unexpected windshield fogging due to a design flaw within the climate control system. Even if/when the indicator is on for FRESH incoming airflow that system may actually be predominatly in recirculate. Lexus tells me that the only way to be certain that  the fresh mode is being used is to take the incoming airflow selection out of automatic mode by manually selecting fresh mode by depressing the rocker switch in that direction.

i always wondered why my 91 used to fog up so badly een with the defrost on

I don't know how mechanically inclined you are so the hooking up of the battery charger and running of the A/C vents for several nights may not be an option for you. Do what the others said and turn on the car, Cut the A/C on high, open the hood, and spray a mold killer / disenfectant spray into the vents just below the windshield. If it is food odor and not moldy smell then you may want to use an aerosol version of Fabreeze or Lysol - just pick something you can live with as the residual odor may linger a while.

Temp reading on the A/C controller or on the engine temp? If it's the engine temp - you'll have to take out your instrument cluster and put in new bulbs. If it's the A/C temp then you'llhave to remove that unit and replace some bulbs. Both can be a bit hairy if you don't know what you're doing and may best be left to a pro.

Hi:

This problem like another member said with lysol in spray form you should get it resolved. Second after you do the clean up, if you can leave the car in the sun with the windows open also helps. I also recommend opening the hood and cleaning the wiper area, and putting water in the vents that they have, after a day or so when the car is dry put lysol in that same area the hood wiper vent area, also even as they recommended not to do it, you can in fact turn on the car and put the AC in recirculation mode and put some lysol with the AC Runing, spray it on the passenger side floor, (remember to vaccum the car really good before doing all this and cleaning any dust from the interior) and have the windows closed, after 5 minutes turn the car off. You could leave the windows closed for the night in the morning open them up, your problem should be gone by this time and the grand finish is to have the car in the sun, and even take it for a spin with your windows open and sunroof if so equiped. Run your heater at this time in the hottest setting you can take, put the fan at minimum speed, anything living with all that should be dead. I have done all of them and worked out. Do not leave the car where tree sap or leaves get to the hood area, wiper area, because the odor will come back again, or make sure that once a week at least you remove all the leaves.

C. PR :cheers: