Dealer Experiences In Canada

Just wanted to post my experience with a Lexus salesman I had in Canada.

I have leased nine Toyotas over the last seven years and have had excellent service from them. But this time I decided to try something new and test drove the Subaru Legacy GT Limited and Volvo S40 as I'm an AWD convert and have been driving AWDs for several years.

The Subaru GT was my choice, but...I attended the Lexus unveiling and fell in love with the IS350. I know it's not AWD, but what a car.

Anyway I test drove an IS250 AWD on Monday night this week to see if it would fit me and was prepared to purchase from the Lexus dealership, when my Toyota sales guy said that he could get the Lexus and give me a better deal and keep me as a customer.

So I get a phone call from the Lexus salesman (I won’t mention his name) today who tagged along for my test drive (unlike the other dealers I had been to) and was basically told what a bad person I was for taking away food from his family by staying with the Toyota dealership I have been with all these years and not purchasing the car from him! And that if I take a test drive from a dealership/sales person I am obligated to buy the car from them. WOW!

Next up was Lee at Subaru in Mississauga who called to see if I’d made a decision. I returned his call and we had a very pleasant conversation and told him that I would definitely keep him in mind if I were looking for another car.

Was I wrong to stay with my Toyota dealer, we have three Toyotas leased from them, I know the owner, sales manager and all the service guys on a first name basis. I don’t believe I made the wrong choice based on my experience with the Lexus salesman!

The Lexus salesman is still probably going to get a piece of the deal. However, I always considered it customary manners and ethics to stick with the salesman that showed me the car, unless for some reason he's totally incompatible. Like if I call about a car and then go to see it, I'll always make sure I deal with the salesman I first talked to on the phone, as he was the first contact. Perhaps you could have used the Toyota guy's price as a negotiating point with the Lexus guy.

how is the Toyota guy selling Lexus? Did he get the car from the same dealer as the Lexus guy? If not could the Lexus guy match the price?

I spoke with the Lexus dealership owner today and the matter has been resolved. My Toyotya dealer can lease any car you want, they do it to keep their customers, I guess in the hope you'll come back to them. Same with Lexus dealers here. Unfortunately he deals with another dealer out of our area.

How odd.

Unlike in the states every single Lexus dealer is part of the same building as a toyota dealership so it is one family . Compared to the US where you have Toyotas being sold in the same building as pontiacs.

Just something i never understood.

Anyway , i think the sales guys was an idiot for making such a remark.

I would guess it is Erin park Toyota/Lexus which does have a few odd balls who work there in service ,parts and sales.

• 3 weeks later...

I was a car sales man. As such when I buy ant thing I give the first guy that showed my what I wanted a chance to match the best deal I find, but If they are not nice.... :censored:

The guy was a jerk for giving you a hard time. He should have simply stated that he was sory that he could not earn your busnies, and have asked you to give him a chance next time, and he would be happy to try to match any deal you found.

Your toyota guy worked at keeping your business. The lexus guy worked at never getting it!