What To Watch For In High Mile 98 Ls400

Unfortunately, I just stumbled onto this site and am VERY new to Lexus (and don't even know the protocol of postings, forgive me!). But, I think this community will be a BIG help. I am already committed to the purchase of a high mile 98 LS400--175k, and am scared by the miles but because of its history am willing to jump off the cliff. This was my brother's car and he was a fanatic about doing the maintenance on schedule at the dealer.

What repairs do I need to be wathing for near term? The starter and brakes were just replaced. Know about the importance of timing belt and water pump at 180k. What else is coming soon?

From what I hear the car just keeps on going and going and going..

I have a 93 and it keeps on going and going and going!

Thanks, that is reassuring! I am really looking forward to it.

I have a high mileage 98 LS400 which i also bought only because it was perfectly dealer only maintained.

I would not worry about anything other than the usual suspension issues of such a large car.

Thanks very much. Any specifics on suspension that you have dealt with?

That's a very broud question with several issues. These cars' suspension components "control arms and strut rods" are attached to the cars' frame via rubber bushings. The bushings wear out over time and age, creating clunking, squeeking and banging noises. You'll know it right away if you need one or two replaced. It's standard issue proceedure for these cars, and they ALL will face it at some point. It's usually in the 100k-130k range, but that depends on the way the car has been driven too...city v. highway...good roads v. bad roads. One thing you must learn about the LS400 is to avoid the dealership if at all possible. And you'll find that it is very possible to avoid them. They charge way too much, and typically will diagnois a problem with a general reply "the whole thing needs to be replaced". I suggest you learn about www.parts.com and drill down to Lexus. I like Discounted Toyota Parts website to buy my parts. To give you an example, my dealership here in Raleigh will sell a strut rod for $190. But at the website I use, I can get the exact same thing for $90. The dealership will charge 3 hours of labor @ $107 an hour to install. With the info here, you can do it yourself on some random sunday in the shade in about 2 hours...first time. Best thing to do, buy the part online and find a good indi mechanic you trust and has a little bit of knowledge of Toyota products and take it to them. The average hourly rate is around $65. You want one that won't quote by the hour for each individual part, especially when one part needs to come off in order to replace another. You want one that will combine the two. Suspension on these cars are very good, and very durable, but like all cars, they too will wear out. My signature below will show that I've replaced everything suspension related. I did this because I had the "clunk" and a squeek. Now I could have isolated the problem and maybe replaced one or two parts. But I decided to hit everything at one time and be done with it for another 100k. But my car was city driven, and Raleigh has horrible roads. So mine were worn out beyond the norm. I know Blake has over 250k on his, and it's the original parts. All of my suspension replacement parts, including labor, cost around the $2,500 range. Not too bad for everything, and ArmyofOne helped me out on getting the parts. The dealership will quote close to that for one wheel side alone probably. SK is right, this is probably the only thing you'll face with the car outside of the normal brake pads, rotors and tires. Don't use mine as a basis for the norm. I think mine was neglected a bit by the previous owner, which was a corporate car. I thought it was single owner in a corporate name "President's car", but I don't think so anymore. I think it had several drivers in the business, with no telling how it was driven. But all in all, still a wonderful car. I'm at 108k miles, and other than probably a bad set of tires, she's smooth as butter and solid as a rock. Welcome to the club amigo! :cheers:

I have a high mileage 98 LS400 which i also bought only because it was perfectly dealer only maintained.

I would not worry about anything other than the usual suspension issues of such a large car.

Thanks very much. Any specifics on suspension that you have dealt with?

I wouldn't be worried with only 175k miles on the car. Highway miles are the best kind to have! My car was not maintained for 225,000 miles (it has 260k+ now), and it runs and drives better than most cars on the road. The only suspension problems I've had were cracked strut rod bushings. I'd also be concerned with oil leaks (valve covers, cam and crank) and power steering issues (my pump was already changed, and my rack has a slow leak now. ugh).

I wouldn't have any reservations about buying the car. I bought my '95 with 224k miles, and it had 2 service recipts (1 for ps pump and lines, and 1 for front rotors and pads. None of those 5k services and/or 30k/60k/90k/etc.). The test drive just went too well (ran and drove perfectly) for me to pass it up! 40,000 miles later, I've never been stranded or never made any maditory repairs (just cosmetic work mainly, strut rods, and fluids). LSs are very long lasting cars even with their little nagging issues.

i wouldnt worry too much just get a mechanic that you can trust to check out the suspension and give you an honestopinion on what needs to be done vs. what he thinks you should do. stay away from the dealr and learn how to do your own maintenance

What is the price?

I ask this since you can find 95-98s with 100k miles for a fair price. No matter what the price is 80k miles is 80k miles. Of course highway is different then all around, but if you have 180k then you drove it all around more then the car with 100k.

Cheers.. Dont rush to buy, since there are plenty.

I REALLY appreciate taking the time to give me such a complete answer. It will be fun to get into the car and up my maintenance skills. Hopefully I can rely on you guys for tips as that comes up.

What is the price?

I ask this since you can find 95-98s with 100k miles for a fair price. No matter what the price is 80k miles is 80k miles. Of course highway is different then all around, but if you have 180k then you drove it all around more then the car with 100k.

I may have rushed a little; knowing the history made it of a little more value than it would have otherwise. AND absent the awareness there were people like you guys willing to share experience so freely left me with just the online pricing guides as a reference point. I don't place a lot of stock in eBay pricing, that would scare me to death to bid without kicking the tires. Committed now anyway. Price will be slightly less than $10k. How high is this in your opinion? Baja

Actually Baja, that's not that bad of a price for the car. NADA values for a 98' with 175,000 miles in your neck of the woods is:

Trade in value: $11,300

Loan value: $9,875

Full Retail: $14,575

Of course this is assuming the car is in perfect condition and does NOT have the Nakamichi Stereo or Sunroof...of which I'm positive it does have a sunroof. So for the sunroof you can tack on another $400-$450. I'm going to send you an email, check your message box. I can't send you a PM just yet, you don't have enough posts for that to be activated.

What is the price?

I may have rushed a little; knowing the history made it of a little more value than it would have otherwise. AND absent the awareness there were people like you guys willing to share experience so freely left me with just the online pricing guides as a reference point. I don't place a lot of stock in eBay pricing, that would scare me to death to bid without kicking the tires. Committed now anyway. Price will be slightly less than $10k. How high is this in your opinion? Baja

Actually Baja, that's not that bad of a price for the car. NADA values for a 98' with 175,000 miles in your neck of the woods is:

Trade in value: $11,300

Loan value: $9,875

Full Retail: $14,575

Of course this is assuming the car is in perfect condition and does NOT have the Nakamichi Stereo or Sunroof...of which I'm positive it does have a sunroof. So for the sunroof you can tack on another $400-$450. I'm going to send you an email, check your message box. I can't send you a PM just yet, you don't have enough posts for that to be activated.

What is the price?

NC, It actually does have the Nakamichi, Sunroof and Chrome wheels but I don't know what kind the wheels were, fairly conservative but sharp looking is my memory.

I got a 2000 LS last year with 70K on it. Within a month the charcoal cannister and fill valve on the fuel intake needed replacing. $900. The symptom of the failure is that the fuel fill spout gurgles and then a large percentage of the gas comes shooting back out the vent hole that's just to the left of the filler cap.

Today, at 92K miles it appears that it needs it again. In order to even see what's wrong they claim that they have to pull the fuel tank.

Has anyone else had this problem?

craig, i have this problem only if I try and put any more gas in the car once the automatic lever clicks off on the pump handle, every time. But if I don't try and squeeze any more fuel out of the pump once it tells you it's full, I never have that problem.

OK we can let this one die but just had to add...

Becaues of my nervious-nellie comments on my high mile 98LS, wanted to report how FUN it was to drive it back from CA!

Brief history--incredible maint by my bro for 165k, sold to friend (forgot all about his bro 600 miles away) to use until his Mercedes R became avail, sold to me at 171k. Bought for $9k. :-)

So drove like a dream! Stopping for gas in Barstow, guy on a Harley is filling up his tank. Looks at the Black LS and says, "That is a very sharp car, I have one jsut like it! Oh, mine may be a little older, yours a 98? Yes. Mine is a 91. I have 426k on it and the only significant thing I have done is a rebuilt tranny at 416K. Oh, mine it 171K. Yours is barely broken in, he says! Just the thing a high miler likes to heare!

I have a 99 and a 91LS and there arent any honest import independent mechanics in town, so I always take the cars to the local toyota dealer...the dealer knows me now and they are always glad to be working on a lexus! They always get me the cheaper toyota branded parts, and ultimately the LS is similar to what they work on so I dont have to worry about some fool working on my car

Ok we can let this thread die but had to report back becaues of my nervious-nellie comments on my high mile 98LS, wanted to report how FUN it was to drive it back from CA!

Brief history--incredible maint by my bro for 165k, sold to friend (forgot all about his bro 600 miles away) to use until his Mercedes R became avail, sold to me at 171k. Bought for $9k. :-)

So drove like a dream! Stopping for gas in Barstow, guy on a Harley is filling up his tank. Looks at the Black LS and says,

>>That is a very sharp car, I have one just like it! Oh, mine may be a little older, yours a 98?

>>Yes.

Mine is a 91. I have 426k on it and the only significant thing I have done is a rebuilt tranny at 416K.

>>Oh, mine it 171K.

>>Yours is barely broken in, he says! Just the thing a high miler likes to heare!