95 V. 99?

nc211

I'm starting to see some 98 and 99 models with about the same mileage as my 95 falling into the right price range for me. I'm curious what you guys think, is it worth it for me to trade in my 95 after all of these new parts and stuff for a 98-99 with the 5 speed tranny and the updated engine? I'm aware of the electronic throttle issue. Also, are the suspension parts the same on my 95 as the ones on the 98-99? If so, I might swap them out right before I traded in my 95. I'd take a $1,500 hit on mine due to loan balance probably. Here's one I'm looking at. It's priced below nada, clean carfax.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?rdpa...rdist=11#vdptop

Wow, that is a good price.

As for getting a 98-00 model over a 95, I think it's worth it. I have a 2000 that I bought 8 months ago, it had 33k miles when I bought it and now have about 41k. All I can say is it is a great car.

Thanks guys, well that car has already been sold. Someone got a good deal, that's for sure. At some point I'll be upgrading to the 98-00 model series, but not just yet. I've thought about it some more and just can't bring myself to get rid of mine just yet. I know if I could just get this last little problem fixed...the wobble...I'll be happier than a pig in mud. I do like the idea of 290 hp and a fifth gear. The wood wheel and additional electronics are nice too. But when it comes down to it, it's all in the ride, and I'm still very satisfied with mine, even though it seems to like eating my beer funds. It's been a great learning experience fixing mine up, even if some of the repairs werent really needed.

It's that funky split second throttle delay in the pedal. I don't think it's that bad on the 98-00 models, but I hear it's real bad on the LS430's and not getting any better. There have been some complaints primarily when turning corners in parking lots of the throttle lag creating confusion inside the tranny computer...aka...doesn't know which gear it wants to be in, 1st or 2nd. Nothing major, and if you haven't noticed it by now, then I doubt you will. Most people just get used to it and adapt to it perfectly.

nc211, I'm going to go against everyone's recommendation and tell you stay with what you have. Don't get me wrong I love my 98, but as with any used vehicle you will have to spend time and money "fixin" it up to your standards and correcting some really poor past maintenance repairs. Since you have already paid up and went through this with your 95, I doubt you want to do this again. The main significant gain you will get is the cool Xenon lights (although not all of them have it), and slight power gain. The wood steering wheel on mine is already cracked at 12 different locations (I also have 110K on mine). So if you want to make a significant change, wait till the prices drop and go with a LS430, otherwise I would say it's more trouble then its worth.

That's exactly the reasoning I came up with for keeping mine. Plus now I know what's causing this dang wobble that's been driving me nuts for the past few weeks, months. I was beginning to think the car was cursed with it, but apparently not. Sometimes it's the simplest things. Plus, and not to knock the 98-00 models at all, but I just like the 95-97 models the best for appearance sake. I think it's the power antenna that does it for me. I get a kick out of it moving up and down automatically due to signal strength.

nc211, I'm going to go against everyone's recommendation and tell you stay with what you have. Don't get me wrong I love my 98, but as with any used vehicle you will have to spend time and money "fixin" it up to your standards and correcting some really poor past maintenance repairs. Since you have already paid up and went through this with your 95, I doubt you want to do this again. The main significant gain you will get is the cool Xenon lights (although not all of them have it), and slight power gain. The wood steering wheel on mine is already cracked at 12 different locations (I also have 110K on mine). So if you want to make a significant change, wait till the prices drop and go with a LS430, otherwise I would say it's more trouble then its worth.

Your antenna moves up and down based on signal strength? Cool, I didn't know it did that. I'll trade you my 98 with less that 40K on it for that!! And it's hardly been off-road!!

But seriously, I think you made the right move. You've put so much blood, sweat and tears, not to mention money, into your current car. You'd just be doing it all over again with a newer one. Maybe not the exact same repairs, but something similar. I side with Alsalih - if you're gonna make a move, jump big into a 430. Then we'll REALLY go muddin'.

I'll only go muddin' in my 430 if the dirt was properly conditioned with avian water. And I think you can tell that I'm not a bottled water type. $2.00 for a quart of water just doesn't seem right to me. Not when there's beers out there on Friday nights with my name on them! :cheers:

Your antenna moves up and down based on signal strength?  Cool, I didn't know it did that.  I'll trade you my 98 with less that 40K on it for that!!  And it's hardly been off-road!!

But seriously, I think you made the right move.  You've put so much blood, sweat and tears, not to mention money, into your current car.  You'd just be doing it all over again with a newer one.  Maybe not the exact same repairs, but something similar.  I side with Alsalih - if you're gonna make a move, jump big into a 430.  Then we'll REALLY go muddin'.