White Smoke From Exhause

guy747

HI I HAVE A LS400 YEAR 1990 AND I RECENTLY JUST A FEW DAYS AGO I CHANGED THE STARTER IN WITCH I HAD TO TAKE THE INTAKE OUT AND FUEL SYSTEM, THEN I WENT TO PUT IT BACK TOGETER AND WORKED WELL (THE STARTER)BUT NOW I HAVE A BUNCH OF WHITE SMOKE CUMING FROM THE EXHAUSE AND WORST I HAVE A GAS DRIP AS WELL NOW THE CAR WAS WORKING GREAT BEFORE I DID THIS

NO SMOKE NO GAS LEAK IT WAS FINE 4 DAYS AGO I DID CHECK THE OIL AND IT IS IN GREAT CONDITION

NO WHT MARKS ALSO I DID PUT SOME COOLANT BECAUSE IT WAS LOW AND IT SEEMS TO BE OK FOR NOW BUT I DO HAVE TO PUT NOW AND THEN A LITTLE WATER IN THE CANASTER I REALLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT COULD BE I EVEN CHANGED THE SPARK PLUGS AND ROTOR WT DISTRIBUTER CAP EVEN THE COIL SWITCHED IT AND TO TEST IT I EVEN DISCONECTED IT AND THE CAR TURNED OFF AS IT SHOULD I DONT THINK IT COULD BE THE HEAD GASKET BECAUSE THE CAR WAS FINE BEFORE THE INTAKE INCIDENTANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT THANKSJ

Edited by SKperformance

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White smoke can also come from running way too rich.

Most people associate white smoke with coolant leaks only .When an injector is stuck it will cause so much raw gas it comes out white instead of black which is burnt fuel or carbon.It is too much and the engine cannot even burn it.

It is a tough thing for many to understand until they can replicate the problem itself which is raw gas being pumped without it being burnt.

The only carbon left if from residuale combustion entering the exhaust system which ignites the raw gas.

Everyone has always kept to the mantra of

blue is oil

white is coolant

black is raw

But black is raw that a cat is trying to burn or an unfinished combustion cycle.

Had a example of the problem of raw gas ad white smoke but not coolant.It smelled of pure gas out of the exhaust.

Finally found a bad injector (stuck open) coupled with a faulty coil ,so it had little to no carbon to make it black.

What about water condensation buildup? I've heard that white means water in the fuel system.

What about water condensation buildup? I've heard that white means water in the fuel system.

if you mean coolant ,yes, but its not a problem if water drips out of the pipes upon startup sometimes

if you mean coolant ,yes, but its not a problem if water drips out of the pipes upon startup sometimes

I meant water condensation inside the fuel tank, or other methods of entry which is being burned off with the fuel. Guy747, have you tried a bottle of Heat or other water treating chemicals with a fresh tank of gas? I know during the summer and fall seasons, depending on where you live, condensation can build up enough in the empty parts of a gas tank with the changing temps and humidity levels.

edit: reread the first thread, it doesn't sound like it's coming from the gas tank, I think I'm wrong here. I'd follow the advice of the guys suggesting coolant.

the white smoke means that you have coolant leaking into the cylinder and are you sure that you didnt damage the fuel rail while removing te intake manifold?

fuel rail? meaning the long bar that holds the injectors ?

if it bent is it posible that it can cause so much damage?

Most people associate white smoke with coolant leaks only .When an injector is stuck it will cause so much raw gas it comes out white instead of black which is burnt fuel or carbon.It is too much and the engine cannot even burn it.

this is exacly what is going on i even took the spark plugs off to see if they were wet and found the num 7 and the 1 cylinder spark plugs drained with fuel

so i took them out and switch them around to see if the others wold help the 1 and 7 cylinders and with them changed it still drained the 1 and 7

question what is a cam sensor this is what the guy i bought the car from said was one of the things that the dealer told him needed replaced

can it case this problem ?

and if so do you know the location on it?

this is exacly what is going on i even took the spark plugs off to see if they were wet and found the num 7 and the 1 cylinder spark plugs drained with fuel

so i took them out and switch them around (the injectors) to see if the others would help the 1 and 7 cylinders and with them changed it still drained the 1 and 7

question what is a cam sensor this is what the guy i bought the car from said was one of the things that the dealer told him needed replaced

can it case this problem ?

and if so do you know the location on it?

It would not be a cam sensor or it would not run or burn in the other cylinders

It sounds as though the fuel may be right but the ignition system is not firing.

So it is either a bad coild or wire as a plug is doubtful.

Are 1 and 7 connected to the same coil pack?

i don;t even know the set up on the 1st gen so i am not sure what it uses.

I would check for spark first at the plugs then work my way back to the coil or distributer and rotor.

Please when you post do not DO IT IN ALL CAPS.... It is the same as yelling. It is not nice.

I would say yes, it can be a gas thing, but if you re-read his post he is adding coolant? Wight smoke and coolant loss.... Unless there is a pool of coolant under his parked car..... I would say the smoke is from the coolant, and yes, he could also have a gas issue....

Anyone know a good independant in this guys area?????? Sounds like he needs someone with the right know how to look at the car and fix it.

Please stay away from the dealer. Most will take advatadge of you, and the only thing they will help is themselfs to your money.

Please when you post do not DO IT IN ALL CAPS....  It is the same as yelling.  It is not nice.

I would say yes, it can be a gas thing, but if you re-read his post he is adding coolant?  Wight smoke and coolant loss....  Unless there is a pool of coolant under his parked car..... I would say the smoke is from the coolant, and yes, he could also have a gas issue....

Anyone know a good independant in this guys area??????  Sounds like he needs someone with the right know how to look at the car and fix it.

Please stay away from the dealer.  Most will take advatadge of you, and the only thing they will help is themselfs to your money.

sorry for the caps thanks for the advice :)

It would not be a cam sensor or it would not run or burn in the other cylinders

It sounds as though the fuel may be right but the ignition system is not firing.

So it is either a bad coild or wire as a plug is doubtful.

Are 1 and 7 connected to the same coil pack?

i don;t even know the set up on the 1st gen so i am not sure what it uses.

I would check for spark first at the plugs then work my way back to the coil or distributer and rotor.

hey SKperformance thanks again for helping

yes the pack is the same as the 1 and 7 but i did try another one and still did the same thing

i just changed the injectors to see if maybe it would be the problem but

still has the exact same synptom

if gas is leaking in the engine compartment it has to be coming from somewhere on the full rail and the coolant is probably leaking into your cylinder from a damaged head gasket

hey sha4000 thanks for giving input i really need all the advice i can get

now the car is leaking gas but thru the tail pipes in the back along with the white smoke and the weard thing is that the car seems to be ok no engine knocking or spudering or chaking it simply sounds good in the front but when you go to the back of the car you have this really bad smell of gas with the white smoke and the weard thing is that i even checkd the coolant again and it looks great not low

anymore no oil no gas smell or res

the oil is still good too

and today i replaiced the injectors thinkig maybe one was stuck

but it did the same thing of the old injectors smoke and gas burn

the rail seems to be good no leaks on or around the engine compartment

thanks