Sluggish Transmission

rexlex

I used to love my RX, now I just hate it except for when I am parked with the engine off in my driveway.

I test drove an IS and now my RX tranny feels so DOGGGGGGGY. I never realized how much other vehicles roll so nice and accelerate quickly without much effort. I cant stand the RX now. The tranny feels like its braking all the time. I have maintained it very well. (Especially the tranny).

I think I will diconnect the neg. batt. terminal every nite so I can get a reset after my wife drives it. What a pain.

Any suggestions or fixes? :chairshot: :censored: :( :cries:

I used to love my RX, now I just hate it except for when I am parked with the engine off in my driveway.

I test drove an IS and now my RX tranny feels so DOGGGGGGGY. I never realized how much other vehicles roll so nice and accelerate quickly without much effort. I cant stand the RX now.  The tranny feels like its braking all the time. I have maintained it  very well. (Especially the tranny).

I think I will diconnect the neg. batt. terminal every nite so I can get a reset after my wife drives it. What a pain.

Any suggestions or fixes?:chairshot:  :censored:  :(  :cries:

Have you had them put the May 2005 firmware update in for the ECU?

It makes a HUGE difference.

I test drove an IS and now my RX tranny feels so DOGGGGGGGY. I never realized how much other vehicles roll so nice and accelerate quickly without much effort. I cant stand the RX now.  The tranny feels like its braking all the time. I have maintained it  very well. (Especially the tranny).

Any suggestions or fixes?:chairshot:  :censored:  :(  :cries:

Is it all wheel drive or 2 wheel drive?

I've owned 3 AWD rx300's and they don't seem "that" sluggish. Just floor it and you'll go

Any suggestions or fixes?:chairshot:  :censored:  :( :cries:

I used to owen an 2003 IS300 and now I have 2005 RX330 and the tranny does not feel that different.

How many miles on your RX300? The following will improve transmission shift-point and hopefully will help you too. Good luck!

1. DIY-Yes, reset ECU will help, but lasts for 2 days.

2. DIY-Drain & refill transmission fluid with 4 qrts. of Toyota Type 4.

3. DIY-Replace spark plugs with Denso Iridium if yours are close to 90k miles.

4. Dealer-Replace throttle position sensor, if your idle rpm is higher than usual.

While keeping your vehicle tuned up and running clean fluids will always help to prolong its lifespan by allowing it to operate more efficiently, I feel that there is little one can do to improve the transmission performance and acceleration of the RX300 series. Keep in mind that the RX300 is overweight and underpowered. Throw in a weak and somewhat suspect transmission (particularly in the AWD models) and you have a recipe for sluggishness and rough shift points that simply aren't going to respond to general tune-up efforts. I ensure that my wife's RX300 is meticulously maintained, but it continues to shift more like a $12,000 vehicle than one that originally stickered at $40,000 or so. You can bet that we'll never purchase another one.

It does make operational and economic sense to keep your RX running with clean and proper parts and fluids, but unfortunately that will not alleviate the dissatisfaction you have with your transmission. If there was a way, I would have already found it and would be touting it here on this forum. All RX300 owners certainly deserve a cure for their lousy transmissions but short of a recall and a design replacement it's not going to happen.

While keeping your vehicle tuned up and running clean fluids will always help to prolong its lifespan by allowing it to operate more efficiently, I feel that there is little one can do to improve the transmission performance and acceleration of the RX300 series.  Keep in mind that the RX300 is overweight and underpowered.  Throw in a weak and somewhat suspect transmission (particularly in the AWD models) and you have a recipe for sluggishness and rough shift points that simply aren't going to respond to general tune-up efforts.  I ensure that my wife's RX300 is meticulously maintained, but it continues to shift more like a $12,000 vehicle than one that originally stickered at $40,000 or so.  You can bet that we'll never purchase another one.

It does make operational and economic sense to keep your RX running with clean and proper parts and fluids, but unfortunately that will not alleviate the dissatisfaction you have with your transmission.  If there was a way, I would have already found it and would be touting it here on this forum.  All RX300 owners certainly deserve a cure for their lousy transmissions but short of a recall and a design replacement it's not going to happen.

Thanks and well said. I feel better now. I might buy a 4.4 v-8 X5.

I have been satisfied with the transmisson except for the cold morning shifts. If the tranny had not failed I would have been very happy, I concur, I would never buy another Lexus (RX) They have issues and Lexus will not stand behind their product. That has been quite evident in the treatment that so many have received throughout the US at the different dealerships. Those That have not discovered this are in the class of people that do not understand or know what the dealerships are doing to their cars or their pocket books.

The only thing about the rx300 i don't like is the premature tranny failures (that i've experienced). EVERYTHING else about it i love.

if the 300's transmission didn't suck i wouldn't have my rx330. I like the 300 better than the 330 when it comes to looks. Plus i really don't like the silver on the center console. The rx300 looks better in my opinion.

Regarding your comment on cold morning shifts: You DO KNOW that Toyota holds the transmisssion from going into overdrive until the engine starts to warm up. ALL Toyotas do that; not just Lexus. My '91 Previa does it, my 2000 RX300 does it, my 2005 Corolla does it.

I have been satisfied with the transmisson except for the cold morning shifts.  If the tranny had not failed I would have been very happy, I concur, I would never buy another Lexus (RX) They have issues and Lexus will not stand behind their product.  That has been quite evident in the treatment that so many have received throughout the US at the different dealerships.  Those That have not discovered this are in the class of people that do not understand or know what the dealerships are doing to their cars or their pocket books.