Water Pump And Alt/starter Change With 90k Service

widowmaker03

I’m having the 90K service done in the next few weeks. I know these cars are almost bullet proof but water pumps and alternators are common failures (at least on cars that I’ve owned) on older cars. After reviewing several posts on the price of having these services performed later, it seems like it would be cost effective to do preemptive maintenance. What do you guys think?

If you have the money sure, but I would wait.

I dont think its 100% on the issues with the alternator. My mechanic states that you could buy a new one and it could go just as easy as an old one. I mean its electrical and one never knows.

I love AAA in case I ever get in the bind. Also it helps me keep my Marriott prices down.

Cheers and good luck

Definite "yes" on the water pump since it's the timing belt that drives it and you're right there. Would not do the alternator at 90k. Very little if any labor savings and as long as your PS pump is not leaking on it, you've got a long way to go before it needs replacing. Mine is original with 170k and I'm sure there are plenty of people with higher mileage than that here on the board....

Bob

I’m having the 90K service done in the next few weeks. I know these cars are almost bullet proof but water pumps and alternators are common failures (at least on cars that I’ve owned) on older cars. After reviewing several posts on the price of having these services performed later, it seems like it would be cost effective to do preemptive maintenance. What do you guys think?

Thanks Guys,

looks like I'd be wasting my time with the alternator. I'm just a little concerned because I feel I hold the key just a little to long during start up.

What is the battery's recommended cold crank amps ?

The water pump is driven by the same belt as the alternator, not the timing belt.

I'm pretty sure the power stearing pump leak is NOT the cause of the alternator failures as many have reported. I repaired my power stearing pump myself and the leak wasn't substantial enough to really do any damage to the alternator. The problem with my alternator at 100k miles was that the slip ring contacts have worn down to nothing the slip ring brushes looked good for another 100k miles.

Unless the water pump is leaking I wouldn't bother with it.

I noticed you stated something about your starter in the topic column. Are you having any problems starting your car. I had a problem two weeks ago with starting my car. I thought it was the battery. But someone said it sounded like my starter. Because after a few turns of the ignition I could get it to start turning. He said something about the solenoids in the starter, or something to that effect. It hasn't done that at all recently so I just ignored it. I'm at about 110,000 miles and it's past time to change my timing belt and w/p. I believe the 1998 engine doesn't get damaged from timing belt breakage, correct me if I'm wrong.

• 2 months later...

You are right. I changed the timing belt on my 99LS at Lexus of South Atlanta at 135K. The dealer told me that my water pump is not leaking therefore I don't need a new one. However, if I really want they to change the pump, it is $300 adding to the bill. Heck, I go with my old pump and new timing belt with a lillte nevours at first.

Your 98 should be a VVti engine, and if it is, it is an interference engine, and a broken timing belt will ruin your day, month, and year.

and a broken timing belt will ruin your day, month, and year.

Yep, that would be about right...............

On my '95, the water pump is definitely driven off of the timing belt. The fan is driven by the serpentine belt, which also drives the P/S pump, A/C pump, etc. That might be the confusion........

Only my personal opinion, BUT...........I would change the water pump at the same time as the timing belt. Reason? The majority of the cost is labor to drill down that far to remove/replace the timing belt. You're already there, you've already incurred the labor costs and it will take about another 15 minutes to replace the water pump. Once done, you're good for another 100K with no worries. Even at $300 (which is high for a water pump), how much is that spread out over 100K?........Peanuts in my book.

Oh, BTW......whoever does the timing belt; make absolutely certain that they "Lock-Off" both cam sprockets before they remove the old belt and don't remove the "Locks" until the new belt is on, tensioned and everything is satisfactory.

• 5 months later...

The water pump is driven by the same belt as the alternator, not the timing belt.

I'm pretty sure the power stearing pump leak is NOT the cause of the alternator failures as many have reported. I repaired my power stearing pump myself and the leak wasn't substantial enough to really do any damage to the alternator. The problem with my alternator at 100k miles was that the slip ring contacts have worn down to nothing the slip ring brushes looked good for another 100k miles.

I have a "dead" alternator that was shorted due to the PS leaking. I have a 96 LS400 with 172,000 miles. That was the exact cause. It also caused the alternator to "short" which fused/melted two sensor wires together which made my check engine light come on. My IM charged me $800 for the alternator and labor. To replace the sensors (I didn't get exactly which sensors were needed but I trust my mechanic) I am having him replace my TB and WP since the engine is torn down to that level anyway. He is charging me $75 for the TP and around $210 for the WP. It is expensive but this means that my TB is now changed. When I sell the car in around 5 months all service will be done.