20+ Inch Rim Rant

branshew

I thought the 3rd gen cars were 98-00??

Tom

1995-2000 LSs are all second generation UCF20s. While the 1998 model year has several important upgrades, it's still the same chassis with UCF20 stamped on the info sticker in the driver's door jam. Whoever wrote that it's a thrid gen on the CPO library webpage must have been :snoooorrrtttt: at the time!! LOL

I thought the 3rd gen cars were 98-00??

Tom

1995-2000 LSs are all second generation UCF20s. While the 1998 model year has several important upgrades, it's still the same chassis with UCF20 stamped on the info sticker in the driver's door jam. Whoever wrote that it's a thrid gen on the CPO library webpage must have been :snoooorrrtttt: at the time!! LOL

i know blake

1gen ufc/10 90-94

2gen ufc/20 95-97

2gen ufc/20 98-00 many changes same frame

3gen ufc/30 01- ls430

1 that rim is nasty

It looks like a hey look at me rim ,it doesn't matter what car that person has they would want an overly flashy rim.

I hate that style of wheel that tries to look expensive because it "BLINGS". Reminds me of cubic zirconias fake as the owner is.

SK, I got your back on that point you made about "pay ATTENTION to me!" rims. So true, so true...In this forum, I have noticed with very minor exceptions, a more mature caliber of owner, based on the comments and sense of taste and logic that is shared in the posts. I know I am not a spring chicken myself, I am close to the average Lexus LS owner age demographic, and I took my time moving up into a LS series. When I drive this car, I do not feel like a middle aged dude out trying to pick up tenderonis, I feel like the guy I am, or would like to thnk I am.

Having said that, reading this entire thread and seeing those monstrous rims tells me a few things about the owner-likely young, has a need to impress with the 'bling factor', wants to be noticed (which as you so well pointed out, these days can be a BAD thing), and most importanly, has no sense of refinement or taste. To that particular owner, those wheels are "smokin". And to each their own. But heck, they looked like 22's for an SUV!. Even worse, they are on the wrong car. Whih makes that poor LS look 'clownish'. To be fair, I have seen some 20's that were classy, subdued and enhanced the stance and overall look of the car considerably. At what cost, hey, I have no idea. But that's as large a wheel as I could possibly consider. Yesterday, I perused some websites for wheels and tire combos (after reading several threads in Wheels and Tires section here) just to picture how certain wheels might look. (Tirerack.com is one of the best for that purpose). Of all the rims they suggested for the LS400, they did have a chrome 20 inch rim that was sharp, stylish and I liked it for later consideration. I also like the OZ rim above. My concern with 20's is that also seems to mean you are stuck with a real low profile tire that could affect that exellent ride quality and I am not about to muck that up. There were tons of opinions and thoughts on what works versus what someone tried and didn't. But one thing I can say to conclude here, is that pic with the oversized rims looked pretty....rank and they cheapened a really nice classy car. If you are going to add specialty rims, they should compliment , not overpower the car. Just my opinion....

Oh h@ll no that's not my car! :blink: Hahaha. I'm like Wally Cleaver, I stick with tradition. That car was for sale on autotrader in my area the other day. I saw it and nearly spilled my drink on my files. I don't know if any of you remember the little battery toy cars of the 80's called "Stompers", but that LS looked like the Corvette Stomper. I bet a sears go-cart rides better than that car does. I think the seller said those were 22 inch rims. I agree there are some nice rims out there, and different strokes for different folks. But that one I posted up...well....that's just not right, no matter how you look at it.

Oh h@ll no that's not my car!  :blink: Hahaha. I'm like Wally Cleaver, I stick with tradition. That car was for sale on autotrader in my area the other day. I saw it and nearly spilled my drink on my files. I don't know if any of you remember the little battery toy cars of the 80's called "Stompers", but that LS looked like the Corvette Stomper. I bet a sears go-cart rides better than that car does. I think the seller said those were 22 inch rims. I agree there are some nice rims out there, and different strokes for different folks. But that one I posted up...well....that's just not right, no matter how you look at it.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

You know, I wrote all that above and didn't even stop to think if that was anyone's car here, LOL! I can honestly say that subconciously, I must've hoped it wasn't, it COULDN'T be a Club Lexus owner's car! Because if I had known different, I would have been a bit more diplomatic.....

On 2nd thought, NAW, These Rims Am Ugly, LOL! I stick to what I said above.

nc211, I 'm glad i don't owe you an apoplgy, but I would have given you one had that been your car. Then I'd have asked you to PM me, so I could talk some sense into ya! LOL!

Dude, if that were my car, no apology needed because I'm sure who ever does own that car gets enough "wtf?" looks as is. Hahaha

By the way, I figured out what FLMAO means, but what's the ROT? I'm showing my age here a bit as I'm not too savy on the pop-up lingo. I'm still stuck on LOL.

My friend bought some 20s for his Acura and he hit something small and one wheel broke. Screwe dat..

I think part of this would be the quality of the wheels too.

nc,

ROTFLMAO = rolling on the floor laughing my !Removed! off :D

• 5 weeks later...

Oh man, thought I'd seen it all. If this is someone's car on this site, my appologies in advance. Personal taste is personal taste, and mine says "Good God Man??" :o :blink::unsure:

Saw this for sale on autotrader. It's a 91' that says "new paint job, got 20's, needs tlc...$5,000." No mileage listed. No Vin listed either.

post-15797-1130284592_thumb.jpg