Underdash Power Source

BY5260

This is driving me nuts. I have a radar detector and I am required to keep the ashtray open for a power source. I was going to look under the dash for a power source I could use to provide me a place for aux. power to run the detector. I don't care if it's switched (with igntion) or not. Before I just go looking, does anyone have a quick suggestion to pick up some power? My radar detector is located in the lower/middle part of the windshield.

If you want the easiest way buy a dual triple or quad outlet that plugs into the existing one to make more.You'll find it works well when you have a cell phone.

Find one that has a short plug ,so it will fit nicely when closed and a nice sixed wire that will supply the needed output but still small enough to close with easy.

I use this tryp on both of my Lexus in the same manner for my Ipaq ,its bluetooth gps module , my cell phone and my bluetooh earpiece.

• 1 year later...

I tapped into my fuseblock with an add-on terminal that connects to an existing fuse (switched power). Ran the wire around the dash side (L), and between the windshield/dash to the dash center. Will try this for a while. The wires are thin gage! I just don't like the curly wire over the center of the dash. I do like the idea of a short plug outlet & closed ashtray.