Engine Mount Vs. Certified Warranty

bowtie3

My wife's 2000 RX300 FWD [ 53,000 miles ] has a worn/ torn top-engine mount [ Dogbone ] The engine rocks fore and aft when changing directions. The dealer says this is a " wear item " and is not covered by the Lexus Certified Warranty and will cost about $250.00 [ $150.00 labor / $85.00 parts ] PS, they don't have one; 2-3 days special-order. As a retired GM technician I would estimate this as a simple job, maybe 1/2 hour at the most. Where would be a good place to get one? I can't believe that an engine mount is not covered under warranty!

I also find it hard to believe that an engine mount is not covered under your warranty. I believe you should press these guys hard. If they don't budge, contact another dealer and be firm from the get-go.

I would also check with Lexus Corporate to get their take on this.

There's no way that an engine mount is a "wear item". I can see it now:

"Lexus 60,000 Mile Service Schedule:

Change oil, oil filter, air filter, check PCV valve, check belts and hoses, rotate tires, and change engine mounts."

For parts, might check at http://newlexusparts.com.

Also, I agree about the mounts not being a "wear item", but I am a little confused about this mount. Is this one on top -- not one of the underside mounts that holds all the weight? Might be a different issue as far as a "wear item". Just a thought

There are only TWO bolts holding that mount - one on the engine and one on the firewall.  It's right on top and completely accessable. I can't believe Lexus wants $150 for labor.

Another example of Lexus thinking that high end cars are only bought by people that have no mechanical ability and lots of money. So sad. If its two bolts I would do it myself or take it to Toyota. But I too would pursue the warranty issue, that is not a wear item.

When a Lexus dealer doesn't seem to be playing fair put there name out there and post it in your thread.

I am sure more than a few people would be interested to know which dealer and service adviser is so high on their services.

Dogbone is 2 bolts and 10 minutes.It is on ebay all over the place for about 20-30 i prefer to just use a metal washer inside the opening which reduces the play and the continuous replacement of the mount.

When a Lexus dealer doesn't seem to be playing fair put there name out there and post it in your thread.

I am sure more than a few people would be interested to know which dealer and service adviser is so high on their services.

Dogbone is 2 bolts and 10 minutes.It is on ebay all over the place for about 20-30 i prefer to just use a metal washer inside the opening which reduces the play and the continuous replacement of the mount.

The dealer is Charles Barker Lexus in Va. Beach. He owns one of the three Toyota dealers in this area also and the only two Lexus dealers for 100 miles. Guess which Toyota dealer refuses to perform ANY service work on ANY Lexus? I'm going to order the dogbone from one of the websites that carries Lexus parts. The Lexus dealer didn't have the part so this morning I called the other two Toyota dealers to get a price quote for a Highlander dogbone. The price for the Highlander dogbone is the same as the Lexus part, BUT none of the Toyota dealers had one either. Must be special-ordered. You're right. After examining the job again I don't even think it's a 1/2 hour operation. Just swing the cruise control module out of the way and remove 2 bolts! How do they justify $150.00 labor for this job? I don't think we'll be buying another Lexus. This car has been in the shop more times in the past two years than my 2001 Silverado has been in five years! With a GM product I knew I was getting a piece of junk, but I expected more from the Lexus! Maybe I was a GM tech too long.

Hmm, i am just wondering what other problems you have had with your RX?

These are the issues that I can recall immediately: Shoulder harnesses won't roll back up, rear main oil seal, front strut mounts [ twice ], gas knock [ 3 times ], A/C compressor noise [ considered normal ], instrument panel bulbs. My wife has been adamant about the dealer doing the oil / filter changes while the car is covered by the Certified Warranty. The dealer has charged us for 6 quarts of oil every time I've taken the car in for service, plus $8.00 for a can of BG oil conditioner. Yes, I know it's a rip-off [ it only holds 5 quarts ] and the oil conditioner is an extra-profit item, but I've given them a lot of leeway because I wanted to be " no-problem customer ". The last time I had the car in for the front strut-mount clunk problem they charged me $90.00 labor because the " fix " wasn't covered under the Certified Warranty. Funny how the non-warranted " fix " solved the problem! The Certified Warranty ends next April, so they will be doing an oil / filter change in October and February. Then I'll do them myself using Mobil 1 like I use in my '01 Silverado. I guess the dealer tallys up the service/repairs under warranty and then at some point puts the customer on the " orphan list ". Really makes you want to come back and buy another one. Let's see: Give them the wife's 2000 RX300 [ 53,000 miles ] AND $25,000 and drive home another " problem child ". Yeh, that's a good investment! Like I've said in a previous post, the perceived high resale / trade-in value of a Lexus is EXTORTED from the owner by Lexus service / repairs during the time of ownership. When the time comes to change vehicles the perceived residual value is the amount you sell the car for, LESS a pile of documented $crew-jobs courtesy of dealer service.

Nobody's making you take the car to Lexus for service but your wife.

Its no more expensive than any other car to maintain if you take it to an independent mechanic.

The car is covered under the Certified Warranty til May 1, 2006. Why would I take the car to an independent repair shop for issues considered to to be covered under the warranty? The ONLY reason I take it to the dealer for customer-pay service is oil / filter changes. This is done to prevent any future problems concerning required maint. to keep the warranty in force. By the way, IT'S HER CAR! I'll support her on this until May 1, 2006!

Nobody's making you take the car to Lexus for service but your wife.

Its no more expensive than any other car to maintain if you take it to an independent mechanic.

The car is covered under the Certified Warranty til May 1, 2006. Why would I take the car to an independent repair shop for issues considered to to be covered under the warranty? The ONLY reason I take it to the dealer for customer-pay service is oil / filter changes. This is done to prevent any future problems concerning required maint. to keep the warranty in force. By the way, IT'S HER CAR! I'll support her on this until May 1, 2006!

I think Lexus of America should re evaluate their entire customer service and maintenance program. This gentleman just expierenced the typical support that Lexus gives unless they empty your wallet. I came from a company that felt its high priced service would last forever, Then the competition proved otherwise, we gave optimum service as a service organization, but the company continued to drive the bottom line till service became a liability. This seems to be the direction of a lot of company's in the US headed by greed at the top echelon. Like I have said before, shame on you for treating a customer poorly, you will loose ten potential customers for that action. I just do not understand why Toyota does a better job at satisfaction and price than Lexus. Lexus seems to think gouging the customer is OK. I say customers are smarter than that. Just because the rich put up with their rediculous service costs is no reason to think they are at the top of the heap. At least Accura and others support their products.