Average Mpg Display

jerrywin

Has anyone ever checked how accurate their average MPG display is? Mine shows about 21 to 21.4 MPG ( I do a lot of highway driving).

The other day, I did accurate manual check on the gas MPG, it was more like 19 MPG.

The in dash display shows a couple of gallons on the high side. With all of the computer stuff on board, there really isn't any reason why it should be inaccurate.

Has anyone ever checked how accurate their average MPG display is?  Mine shows about 21 to 21.4 MPG ( I do a lot of highway driving). 

The other day, I did accurate manual check on the gas MPG, it was more like 19 MPG. 

The in dash display shows a couple of gallons on the high side.  With all of the computer stuff on board, there really isn't any reason why it should be inaccurate.

My average MPG is consistently 2 to 3 miles above my actual average. Every time I fill up I record and then reset the Average MPG on both trip meters. Then, I calculate the actual. The difference between what the truck computer says it got and what it actually got is consistently between 2 and 3 mpg. The truck says it does better than it actually does. I've experimented with all three octane ratings with no apparent effect on mileage performance.

As an aside, even on the open road at about 71 or 72 mph, I've yet to get more than 17 mpg actual. The car only has 8,500 miles on it, and I'm told the mileage performance will get better as time goes on. That improvement, if it occurs, will no doubt be more than negated by rising fuel costs.

i have 40k on mine and still i get 14.5 mpg but im a rough driver

err, im a rough driver also on my rx330, but i can only like 12 mpg on streets. how is the gx getting better gas milage than a smaller suv :blink:

break-in???? :blink: i kinda did a break-in period with my GX when it was new. i even remember that the first fill-up i had, turned out to be 9mpg!!! :o :wacko:

err, im a rough driver also on my rx330, but i can only like 12 mpg on streets. how is the gx getting better gas milage than a smaller suv :blink:

break-in???? :blink: i kinda did a break-in period with my GX when it was new. i even remember that the first fill-up i had, turned out to be 9mpg!!! :o :wacko:

Im pretty sure my break in period is over...considering ive had this car since august 2003 :P. Even after refueling, i still get horible gas milage, the best at 15. Highway i can get like 22 so thats not a problem.

Im pretty sure my break in period is over...considering ive had this car since august 2003 :P. Even after refueling, i still get horible gas milage, the best at 15. Highway i can get like 22 so thats not a problem.

oh, i what i meant was that maybe the break-in period when it was new wasn't that good or you may have ignored it. :D

Has anyone ever checked how accurate their average MPG display is?  Mine shows about 21 to 21.4 MPG ( I do a lot of highway driving). 

The in dash display shows a couple of gallons on the high side.  With all of the computer stuff on board, there really isn't any reason why it should be inaccurate.

I've been tracking my mpg since day 1 (April, 2004). My new-to-date mpg is 16.371. My new-to-date mpg shown on my GX computer (never been reset), is 18.4.

My guess is that when you're idling and getting zero mpg the computer doesn't take that into account. Just a guess. All I do know is that the computer is off by 2 mpg. YMMV ;-)

Bob

I've been tracking my mpg since day 1 (April, 2004). My new-to-date mpg is 16.371. My new-to-date mpg shown on my GX computer (never been reset), is 18.4.

My guess is that when you're idling and getting zero mpg the computer doesn't take that into account. Just a guess. All I do know is that the computer is off by 2 mpg. YMMV ;-)

Bob

Actually, the computer does take idling into account. If u stop at a red light, the mpg will go down every 10 seconds or so.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...