400 & Floods

Looking at the pictures from New Orleans got me to thinking about how a hybrid would perform on flooded roadways.

Does the fact that it is a hybrid mean the 400h is more prone to stalling?

Just how much water can a 400h go through before it will have a problem?

What happens if you go through water 3 - 4 inches deep at high speed and it splashes hard against the bottom? How about if it is salt water?

If you do drive into deep saltwater say 3 feet deep, will the car short out or will the will the engine jus stall or both? What's it going to cost to fix the car and what has to be done?

If the car does stall in salt water and you get out of the car are you, your passengers and bystanders at risk of an electric shock?

Also as I understand it you are not supposed to drive the 400h on loose sand, i.e. the beach, has anyone done this? Does firm moist sand create a problem for the 400h.

Anybody tried their 400h in real world off roading? Is it any good?

Also as I understand it you are not supposed to drive the 400h on loose sand, i.e. the beach, has anyone done this? Does firm moist sand create a problem for the 400h.

Who needs off roading when I have the philadelphia streets department!

Seriously, there's a neighborhood called Roxborough that is like San Fran in some places- very steep city streets. Anyway, there's a road that has been closed and getting worked on. Well it was open so I took it only to discover huge potholes, loose dirt and mounds as bad as an appalachian mountian trail. :unsure:

The 400h seemed to take it just fine - although I was babying it the entire way.

Not sure about water... and hope not to find out in a similar fashion!

Looking at the pictures from New Orleans got me to thinking about how a hybrid would perform on flooded roadways.

No, those Japanese engineers know plenty about flooded roadways.

If the water is as high as the doorsil, you and the RX are in a heap of trouble.

What happens if you go through water 3 - 4 inches deep at high speed and it splashes hard against the bottom? Nothing; every vehicle should be capable of that miniscule amount of water.How about if it is salt water?Most of us here would expect that you clean it up as soon as possible. After all, it IS a Lexus!

If you do drive into deep saltwater say 3 feet deep, will the car short out or will the will the engine jus stall or both?I wouldn't want to be the first to find out, that's for sure. What's it going to cost to fix the car and what has to be done?If the water enters the interior, you probably won't need to worry about cost, since the paramedics will be calling you "Crispy".

If the car does stall in salt water and you get out of the car are you, your passengers and bystanders at risk of an electric shock?Not if the water isn't high enough to enter the interior. Still, you'd be wise to avoid traverse rapids, especially if you notice people canoeing in them.

Also as I understand it you are not supposed to drive the 400h on loose sand, i.e. the beach, has anyone done this? Does firm moist sand create a problem for the 400h.Avoid prolonged tire spinning and your RX will thank you for it by not overheating its electric motors.

Few of here are rich enough to go Dukes of Hazzarding with a $55,000 vehicle. Heck, I haven't even taken my Corvette to the racetrack....the mountains of Southern Cali - yes.....racetrack, no.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if Lexus has a feature to protect the driver from shock if the car is flooded.

I'll be very interested to see how this car performs in snow. It replaces an Audi TT Quattro which did surpisingly well in snow up to about 5". (When it gets really bad we take the Jeep, which in 4WD-Lo handles snow up to 18").

Just to add a little personal experience here - we did have some late rains this year. I encountered some deep puddles on the freeway in our RX400 early in the spring. A few inches of water on the roadway splashed around by the passage of the car didn't phase it - I wouldn't expect it to.

Its just as "waterproof" as any other vehicle. SUVs are no more "waterproof" than other vehicles, their higher centers of gravity just keep all the important parts above water levels higher than a car would.

Its just as "waterproof" as any other vehicle. SUVs are no more "waterproof" than other vehicles, their higher centers of gravity just keep all the important parts above water levels higher than a car would.

But i mean i probably cant drive it into a shallow lake like i would with a jeep. lol

But i mean i probably cant drive it into a shallow lake like i would with a jeep. lol

Probably not, but you also WON'T be getting 13 MPG like you would in a Jeep, either! :chairshot:

What happens if you go through water 3 - 4 inches deep at high speed and it splashes hard against the bottom? How about if it is salt water?

If you do drive into deep saltwater say 3 feet deep, will the car short out or will the will the engine jus stall or both? What's it going to cost to fix the car and what has to be done?

If the car does stall in salt water and you get out of the car are you, your passengers and bystanders at risk of an electric shock?

srry to break it to you but i dont think n e one here has the balls to go drive it in that deep of water... :lol: :D JK....

srry to break it to you but i dont think n e one here has the balls to go drive it in that deep of water... :lol: :D JK....

I don't, LOL! :P