Which Toyota Dealer Service Your Rx ?

dchan865

Hello fellow RX owners,

I have 80K miles on my RX and suspect that I will need a tune up and timing belt change in another 10k to 20K miles.

Does anyone in the San Franciso bay area have good experience with the Toyota dealer that provided the service I just mentioned, perferably across the bay on the Fremont side.

Any insight would be helpful. I feel kind of odd asking a Toyota dealer to service a Lexus even though the guts of he car is made by Toyota.

Thanks, :)

DC

Not sure of a toyota dealer who can do that...ever try going to a lexus dealer?  :D  If you dont want to, im sure you can go to a local body shop to do the same thing, they just order the parts from the same place basically.

Sorry I can't help you in the bay area, but Maita Toyota in Sacramento changed my timing belt and water pump per my request for $504.00 This was less than half the price at Lexus, and they did a great job. Some times you can work your way into the toyota dealerships by promissing future service when needed. Any good toyota shop won't turn away good business. After all they want to make a profit too. The timing belt and water pump only cost under $200 bucks so the remainder would be profit for the dealership.

Tune ups are absolutely no longer necessary and your timing belt should be good for at least 140k miles unless you're under "severe service". I had a good look at the one that come off my 92 LS400 at 153k and the running surface looked perfect.

Tune ups are absolutely no longer necessary and your timing belt should be good for at least 140k miles unless you're under "severe service". I had a good look at the one that come off my 92 LS400 at 153k and the running surface looked perfect.

Really? You waited that long to change the belt. That sounds risky. I have this notion that one should replace the belt around 100K. If the belt breaks, severe problem can result but not sure if the RX has the same risk.

I think tune up can wait. If the car doesn't miss a beat, it probably is not necessary to get it tune up. I bet that someone might think otherwise.

Not sure of a toyota dealer who can do that...ever try going to a lexus dealer?  :D  If you dont want to, im sure you can go to a local body shop to do the same thing, they just order the parts from the same place basically.

Sorry I can't help you in the bay area, but Maita Toyota in Sacramento changed my timing belt and water pump per my request for $504.00 This was less than half the price at Lexus, and they did a great job. Some times you can work your way into the toyota dealerships by promissing future service when needed. Any good toyota shop won't turn away good business. After all they want to make a profit too. The timing belt and water pump only cost under $200 bucks so the remainder would be profit for the dealership.

Thanks, Lenore. I called a Toyota dealer in Hayward and they said they could service my RX so I bet I am not the only one that take a Lexus to them for repair.

$504 sounds very resonable for a belt and water pump change. I spent close this amount when I did it for my Honda Accord awhile back.

Really? You waited that long to change the belt. That sounds risky. I have this notion that one should replace the belt around 100K. If the belt breaks, severe problem can result but not sure if the RX has the same risk.

I think tune up can wait. If the car doesn't miss a beat, it probably is not necessary to get it tune up. I bet that someone might think otherwise.

RX300's engine is non-interfering. If the timing belt broke, nothing in engine will be damaged.

The factory-installed RX300 timing belt is of outstanding quality and with proper driving habits will go 120,000 to 150,000 miles with no problems.

However, the factory-installed RX300 AC/Alternator belt and Power Steering Pump belt are of only average quality and should be changed at four-year intervals regardless of mileage. Driving, heat, cold, and moisture all combine to harden and crack these two belts pretty heavily by the time they are four years old.

Thanks, Lenore. I called a Toyota dealer in Hayward and they said they could service my RX so I bet I am not the only one that take a Lexus to them for repair.

$504 sounds very resonable for a belt and water pump change. I spent close this amount when I did it for my Honda Accord awhile back.

By the way I had them change the water pump since it is driven by the timing belt. It was a good choice as the bearing in the pump started to show some noise. Ask for all old parts to inspect.

• 4 months later...

Hello fellow RX owners,

I have 80K miles on my RX and suspect that I will need a tune up and timing belt change in another 10k to 20K miles.

Does anyone in the San Franciso bay area have good experience with the Toyota dealer that provided the service I just mentioned, perferably across the bay on the Fremont side.

Any insight would be helpful. I feel kind of odd asking a Toyota dealer to service a Lexus even though the guts of he car is made by Toyota.

Thanks, :)

DC

I had my work done at Capitol Toyota. They did a nice job. There was a minor leak in my differential. I took it back and they fixed it. No problems at all. Talk to Tony and he will take care of you. YOu can mention Peter with the black RX300.

RX300's engine is non-interfering. If the timing belt broke, nothing in engine will be damaged.

The RX has an interference engine according to Gates.

http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_co...folder=brochure

Try Piercey Toyota in San Jose.

Just an observation I noticed. I had called Piercy Toyota and Capitol Toyota and requested quotes for the same work. Capitol was substantially cheaper than Piercy. I have never had my work done at Piercy so I can't say much about the quality.

My 1990 ls400 had an oil leak at the crankshaft area earlier, so I brought it to Piercey Toyota to replace all 3 oil seals, TB and water pump for $900. (Somehow Capitol Toyota's quote was higher at the time). But after 1 week, I still had oil leakage.

So I brought my car back (under 1 year warranty), and they fixed the problem at no charge, but I also agreed to have valve clearance adjustment done at the same time (as recommended by them, for $350).

After that, the car seems OK as of now, except there are 4 bolts at the engine undercover that they forgot to tighten. I was lucky that those 4 bolts didn't fall off after 1 week.

I also noticed that they switched/changed most of the bolts and nuts when reinstalling the parts.

I remember the Service rep told me they got the "check engine" light come on after the car was almost ready to go. So they had to order the "adapter for the OBD tester" that works for my car, to find the problem.

I'd say their job quality is average or a little above average.

My local mechanic's is below average or average, and although his charges are lower but the warranty is not good at all.

I'd try Capitol Toyota next time, unless someone recommends against that. And I'll let you all know about their service afterward.

Edited by lsrxlex

My local Toyota dealer ran a coupon for 15% off on a 6 cylinder timing belt, normally $399.99, now $339.99. I was due for my 90K service so I had him do the belt, brake fluid flush, coolant service, oil and filter. I did a drain and fill on the transmission, changed the air filter and cleaned the cabin air filter myself before I took the RX in for service. Total cost for my 90K service was just a little over $500.

You can't trust Gates' web site. How can RX300 is interfering when Gates lists ES300 for the same year,as non-interfering, given ES and RX uses the same 1mz-fe engine? I have checked Gates' web size at the time of my old posting, it listed RX300's 1mz-fe as NON-interfering.

Also timing belts worn down by age and temperature extremes more by mileage. Talk to any Toyota/Lexus mechanic you will find no one has ever seen a broken timing belt at 90K. Mileage is listed as a replacement indicator because it is easy to explain and additional profit for labor for Lexus.

May I know why you didn't have the water pump replaced at the same time?

I have a 1999 RX300 with 96k.

Thanks.

I checked with 4 different Toyota people on this, 2 service advisors and 2 techs. Everyone pretty much had the same answer. The wp is designed to last the life of the engine and rarely does it fail on this engine. When they do timing belt they check pump bearing and inspect for leaks. If necessary they change the wp but almost never. If I insisted, though, they would very graciously take my money and do it for me.

Plus I was already having trouble justifying $339 to change a belt that no one has ever known to fail even when run well over 100K. I really didn't want to add to the cost by changing good parts just on the rare chance that they may fail someday. It also seems most agree that it is a non-intergference engine, except for the Gates Brochure, which may just be a typo. The car is over 5 years old with 90K on it and the owners manual recommended it, so I went for it.

Edited by mikey00

You can't trust Gates' web site. How can RX300 is interfering when Gates lists ES300 for the same year,as non-interfering, given ES and RX uses the same 1mz-fe engine? I have checked Gates' web size at the time of my old posting, it listed RX300's 1mz-fe as NON-interfering.

Also timing belts worn down by age and temperature extremes more by mileage. Talk to any Toyota/Lexus mechanic you will find no one has ever seen a broken timing belt at 90K. Mileage is listed as a replacement indicator because it is easy to explain and additional profit for labor for Lexus.

I just got an e-mail from Gates confirming their error in the new timing belt replacement guide.

It is definetly non-interference.

Thanks.

I checked with 4 different Toyota people on this, 2 service advisors and 2 techs. Everyone pretty much had the same answer. The wp is designed to last the life of the engine and rarely does it fail on this engine. When they do timing belt they check pump bearing and inspect for leaks. If necessary they change the wp but almost never. If I insisted, though, they would very graciously take my money and do it for me.

Plus I was already having trouble justifying $339 to change a belt that no one has ever known to fail even when run well over 100K. I really didn't want to add to the cost by changing good parts just on the rare chance that they may fail someday. It also seems most agree that it is a non-intergference engine, except for the Gates Brochure, which may just be a typo. The car is over 5 years old with 90K on it and the owners manual recommended it, so I went for it.

Mikey,

Thanks so much for your input.

By the way, have you had Valve Clearance Adjustment done on your RX? If not (just like on my RX), then when would you consider to have it done?

Thanks again, Mikey.

Thanks.

Mikey,

Thanks so much for your input.

By the way, have you had Valve Clearance Adjustment done on your RX? If not (just like on my RX), then when would you consider to have it done?

Thanks again, Mikey.

Never. I just follow the owners manual.

All Toyota / Lexus engines with Variable Valve Timing are interference engines. All RX engines have Variable Valve Timing.

Is there a document or source for this information? Now that Gates has admitted their mistake, everything I can find claims non-interference except for your post.

I've had multiple senior Lexus technicians on separate occasions confirm that our 3-litre 2000 RX300 engine is indeed non-interference.

Keep in mind that the source of the above-referenced quote is "monarch". As far as I'm concerned, his credibility on this site has eroded to the category of "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"....

• 2 months later...

heck, now I don't know who to believe but since the majority of you guys agree that it is non-interference, I believe you.

Can anyone tell me what you guys mean by interference and non-interference?

I now have the understanding that if you have a non-interference engine, if the belt breaks, it would not harm you engine or any parts interacting with it. To get it running again, just replace the timing belt. Right?

little confuse.