Timing Belt Quality

I searched but did not find anything relevant.  Can i get away with buying a t belt from a discount store and experience at least 60k (miles) longevity?  I wouldnt ask but i tend to use cheaper parts and am sceptical with this particular one, seeing as how much abuse it takes.

This is the wrong place to buy this type of part to save a few bucks! I definitey feel that you should get an OEM timing belt.

I searched but did not find anything relevant.  Can i get away with buying a t belt from a discount store and experience at least 60k (miles) longevity?  I wouldnt ask but i tend to use cheaper parts and am sceptical with this particular one, seeing as how much abuse it takes.

This is the wrong place to buy this type of part to save a few bucks! I definitey feel that you should get an OEM timing belt.

OEM is the only way to go on this part. Period. ;)

OEM is the only way to go on this part. Period. ;)

I agree. I'm all for saving a few bucks wherever possible, but I would not even consider getting anything but an OEM timing belt. Most of the expense (or time & trouble if you do it yourself) is in the labour to change it. The difference in cost for the actual belt will be negligible over the long run. The difference in hassle if the cheap one breaks will be enormous!!

Always go OEM for something as critical as a timing belt.

tck...

I agree a timing belt is like what $40 (oem).....

25,000 mile OEM

MVC-261F.jpg

OEM with maybe 1 hour of running time @ 143mph.

timingbelt.jpg

I got tired of shelling $60 for a Toyota timing belt. Replaced it with an AC Delco belt, aint had a problem.

They specify 60,000 miles. About any timing belt can do 90,000-120,000 miles. I say change it at 60,000 miles, but the belts are so over engineered... It really doesn't matter.

That's only what? Like 2750rpm for the valvetrain, it spins 3500 everytime you hit the rpm limiter.

Personally, I thought it was the wrong belt from the time I put it on, but I remember checking the part number & it was correct so... Go figure.

Like I said, I just got tired of dealing with the price of the OEM belts.

If you have 2 belts that both dies quickly it is usually installed improperly not the belt.

I prefer an OEM belt as many others do for the peice of mind, i would only upgrade it if i could get a greddy/trust or a kevlar belt built for twice as long an interval.

If you have 2 belts that both dies quickly it is usually installed improperly not the belt.

I agree... misaligned pulleys maybe?

Belts shouldn't break like that. The last one (OEM) I replaced still looked perfect after about 100000KM (60000miles) of driving. Admittedly, very little (none) of it at 143 mph.

That belt must have made quite an interesting sound when it let go at that speed...

tck...

No, they were installed correctly. The second one I uninstalled & reinstalled several times in an effort to find anything ACD one slipped on perfectly without any work. (Like the OEM one)

Timing belts are easy. They have alignment marks. The only time you get a problem is when you don't use them.:whistles: