K&n Air Filter

jeremyquinn

I have a 94 GS300....

I found this one on ebay..brand new with s&h for $55.90...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

It's $86.08 on their site...

http://shop.knfilters.com/KNShop/Product.aspx?pid=33-2053

Good deal right? Any advice before I pull the trigger on this?

I'm also looking at buying new OEM floor mats

and a new Antenna

Did you shop for prices at different auto parts chains? Perhaps you can get the same price or better & avoid having to wait for the filter to be shipped. Don't forget down the road to get a 'filter kit' to clean & re-oil the filter down the road. ;)

:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I saw K&N air filters at Walmart too, right next to the Fram Air Hog filters. I took one of the pre-oiled drop-in type replacement K&N filters out of the package and held it up to a store light. I could see hundreds of points of light through the filter media. Then I thought to myself "wow, all those hundreds of tiny holes let alot of air and abrasive dirt get into the engine". I also thought to myself: "no wonder Ford and some other automakers won't honor the new car powertrain warranty if an owner uses a K&N or Fram Air Hog type air filter."

I saw K&N air filters at Walmart too, right next to the Fram Air Hog filters.  I took one of the pre-oiled drop-in type replacement K&N filters out of the package and held it up to a store light.  I could see hundreds of points of light through the filter media.  Then I thought to myself "wow, all those hundreds of tiny holes let alot of air and abrasive dirt get into the engine".  I also thought to myself: "no wonder Ford and some other automakers won't honor the new car powertrain warranty if an owner uses a K&N or Fram Air Hog type air filter."

monarch, Why do you always display a tone of negativity? People do what they want to there cars and always will regardless of someone elses Blah Blah. I don't want to come across as picking on you [ which I am not ] but you always chime in with the same old tone. No offense and to each his/her own. There are better products on the market for automobiles than what mfg's tell you to use and there is nothing wrong with using them. Have a nice day!

I saw K&N air filters at Walmart too, right next to the Fram Air Hog filters.  I took one of the pre-oiled drop-in type replacement K&N filters out of the package and held it up to a store light.  I could see hundreds of points of light through the filter media.  Then I thought to myself "wow, all those hundreds of tiny holes let alot of air and abrasive dirt get into the engine".  I also thought to myself: "no wonder Ford and some other automakers won't honor the new car powertrain warranty if an owner uses a K&N or Fram Air Hog type air filter."

monarch, Why do you always display a tone of negativity? People do what they want to there cars and always will regardless of someone elses Blah Blah. I don't want to come across as picking on you [ which I am not ] but you always chime in with the same old tone. No offense and to each his/her own. There are better products on the market for automobiles than what mfg's tell you to use and there is nothing wrong with using them. Have a nice day!

I agree with you. I had a K&N on my bike since new (1994) and have tests the oil several times. No Si (aka dirt) or other high wear. I think when people state the holes etc, that are full of "you know what".

Now......

On the other hand my old Ford diesel (powerstroke) had sensor issues with oil glazzed filters. If you know diesels, they use about 3 to 4 times the volume of air that a car does. Hence it pulls more air. So in a diesel I would say no but I would test the oil and check the sensors.

I agree with you. I had a K&N on my bike since new (1994) and have tests the oil several times. No Si (aka dirt) or other high wear. I think when people state the holes etc, that are full of "you know what".

Now......

On the other hand my old Ford diesel (powerstroke) had sensor issues with oil glazzed filters. If you know diesels, they use about  3 to 4 times the volume of air that a car does. Hence it pulls more air. So in a diesel I would say no but I would test the oil and check the sensors.

I am debating on putting a K & N filter in my wife's Forester.......problem is, this type of car has very sensitive sensors in this regard & I am balking at the idea & for the time being, I will be using only OE (Subaru) paper filters. :huh:

Now......

On the other hand my old Ford diesel (powerstroke) had sensor issues with oil glazzed filters. If you know diesels, they use about  3 to 4 times the volume of air that a car does. Hence it pulls more air. So in a diesel I would say no but I would test the oil and check the sensors.

I am debating on putting a K & N filter in my wife's Forester.......problem is, this type of car has very sensitive sensors in this regard & I am balking at the idea & for the time being, I will be using only OE (Subaru) paper filters. :huh:

What about these washable good for 50,000 mile filters? Which is best to use,and does walmart carry all sizes for all vehichles? :cheers:

In my eyes, any oil-glazed filters are, well, you might be  playing with fire since sensors do not like oils etc.  Then again people love to over oil them.

It is a toss up.

But I do not know, off hand of any 50K mile ones.

I just punched up 2.autopartsathourity,com and they have washablek&n filter for 45.00 and good for 50,000 miles I was just wondering? Like I said I know nothing about what is best product to use so I was just wondering everybodys opinion?

In my eyes, any oil-glazed filters are, well, you might be  playing with fire since sensors do not like oils etc.  Then again people love to over oil them.

It is a toss up.

But I do not know, off hand of any 50K mile ones.

I just punched up 2.autopartsathourity,com and they have washablek&n filter for 45.00 and good for 50,000 miles I was just wondering? Like I said I know nothing about what is best product to use so I was just wondering everybodys opinion?

Seems to be huge price difference from oem and k&n air filter whats the big difference then if nobody knows about 50,000 mile k&n air filters? Just trying to figure out what to put on my 96 es with 90,000 miles on it. What I can do myself.

you still need to wash the filter and oil it. It is up to you. I would not use it, but that is me. Electrical parts are too much $$$ to afford to blow them for a $50 filter.

Now my GSXR is a diff story..no sensors.  :D

So what are you saying ? Use oem $17.00 filters and dont use k&n 45.00 filters?I am just trying to learn what replacement parts are best to use on my car! I dont have an opiniuon or a care either way just what is best and how often it needs to be replaced or re-oiled whatever.

you still need to wash the filter and oil it. It is up to you. I would not use it, but that is me. Electrical parts are too much $$$ to afford to blow them for a $50 filter.

So what are you saying ? Use oem $17.00 filters and dont use k&n 45.00 filters?I am just trying to learn what replacement parts are best to use on my car! I dont have an opiniuon or a care either way just what is best and how often it needs to be replaced or re-oiled whatever.

In normal conditions, a K & N should be re-oiled every 50,000 miles....if you live in really dusty conditions, sooner......this should be on the FAQ on the K & N website. B)

As I stated, "I would not use it, but that is me." I dislike these filters since 99.99% of the time people over oil them. When people do, the oil sticks to sensors and they fail; hence the $45 filter will cost you more in sensor replacements.

If you under-oil them, dirt will go though and cause more wear in metals etc. There is a fine line to over oil and under oil.

So as I stated for car apps, "I would not use it, but that is me." For my bike it is different since I can over oil till the cows come home and nothing will happen. I have no sensors to mess up.

I vote skip them. They're overpriced & don't do jack crap.

It really peeved me when I bought a K&N filter for like $40-50, gained 1mph higher top speed (oooooooooooooo).

And it got dry as a bone in less than a year.

Cotton + oil filters should just have a hint of film on it - but mine was bone dry.

I don't believe oily air filters hurt MAF's. I think it's just an un based theory like flushing dirty transmission fluid.

The Maxima's MAF went out a month ago? 140 odd miles after war. runs out.

MAF-IV.jpg

Some people say "Well it's the oily air filter".

1) It's an OEM nissan filter. They're oily. They've been oily for a loooong time.

2) Nissan has had the problem on resent mafs, but not every MAF. (This is a sporadic problem only tsb'ed twice in the same amount of times, on only like 1.6 million part numbers. Not 20 gagillian cars sold with oily nissan air filters)

3) The newer "corrected" maf's are the SAME DAMN THING on the outside!!!

MAF-I.jpg

MAF-III.jpg

(That's slightly different because I took the picture on opposite sides & used a cheaper MAF from a vq30, instead of a vq35 & swapped it's thermistor over. Hah! 50 cent radioshak hardware is the real difference between a $150 nissan part & a $450 nissan part)

Nissan = retarded. It's a hot wire MAF... You don't need a god damned thermistor to tell air temperature. Air temperature is known based upon a function of flow rate calculation & hot wire MAF temp. Correction Nissan is *BLEEP*ing retarded & they *BLEEP*ing *BLEEP* me off LoL!

MAF-II.jpg

I do believe you can get a MAF dirty, I don't believe that they die from oil build-up. I guess if you submerged it in water - that'd do it.

But to me- every MAF ever made deals with having an oily film. Most engines have a pre-throttle body breather, in conjunction to a post throttlebody PCV valve. Last time I looked, that leaves a tiny film of oil on everything before my breather valve. (I bet lots more than a freaking filter could ever have!)

I'm not saying I'm right, but that's how I view the whole MAF + Oily air filter problem. I don't think there is one.

I agree but I think most dealers will not clean them and just throw a new one one; BONG more $$$$$$. I know my diesel truck ate BARO and air temps sensors like mad with an oil glazzed filter. Switched back and no issues. It also ate Glow plugs replays to (poor design).

For me, I know I could oil the filter, drive the truck for one month and the air it pulled it would pull the oil right off hence dry filter. There also had to be an eternal age around the filter so it would not pull it right in

A $55 filter cost omre in time from DTC codes and sensor replacement then it was worth. These little sensors the size of a battery are more then you think.

Maybe in a car they would be fine. Just keep an eye on them and do some cheap oil est to see if your Si are low or high.

I think that's the main problem - people over oil them. You're supposed to wait like 10-15 minutes for the oil to soak in.

The appeal to me is that I can re-use the filter. I have K&N pod filters on my motorcycle so I already have the "recharge" kit.

I can find a K&N for my '99 LS for about $50 online... where an OEM one is like $25 right?

I think that's the main problem - people over oil them. You're supposed to wait like 10-15 minutes for the oil to soak in.

The appeal to me is that I can re-use the filter. I have K&N pod filters on my motorcycle so I already have the "recharge" kit.

I can find a K&N for my '99 LS for about $50 online... where an OEM one is like $25 right?

I can get a denso oem for $16.27 and k&n for $45.00 free shipping/.

• 2 weeks later...

Like I said, I got the K&N from walmart for $35. The regular paper filter costs me $18 everytime I change it so this K&N pays for itself if I plan to change my air filter at least twice. I don't race my RX300 and I don't plan to in the future ,however I like the idea that this will last me forever and I get improved performance.

Bottom line is wash it every 50k and don't over oil it and you'll be ok.