Ls400/96/55k...good Deal?

GoyoNeuff

First of all...WHAT A GREAT FORUM YOU GUYS HAVE HERE!!! It's been really hepful. Went trough all the info previous to buy a LS, and all the links are great! Thanks!!!

My boss is selling his LS400/96. Here is some info:

1996 Lexus LS 400, color Cream

Chrome Wheels

CD Changer

Premium Sound System

MILEAGE <55,000

Passed emissions 2004

May require new safety inspection

Known Defects or Issues:

Radio Display does not display correctly.

Auto was involved in "fender bender" front left bumper when parked, repaired at Lexus facility.

Price: 10,000 cash.

I'm planning to take it today to a mechanic for an inspection.

I'd like to know what do you guys think of this deal...

Thanks to God for the internet! :cheers:

K.

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me! I paid $14 for my 95 back in May, 04, with 84k miles. However, mine was always serviced at the dealership, even the oil changes at $70 a pop, so I did not mind paying a little extra, plus I had the BIG 90k service done, which includes timing belt and water pump replacement. Dealership charges $2k for that one. I would have the lexus dealer in your area run the vin number through their computer, and you'll see all the maintance records for the car. That is a MUST do. Other than that, with that low mileage, I'd say go for it, you'll freakin' love the car!

Do you trust your boss? Does he drive like an animal? Is he the original owner?

Second 10k sounds like a good deal. If he would not have an issue with you taking it to LEXUS for safety check do it for $100.

Use the laymens for laymens buyers guide.

Good luck.

id say thats a pretty good deal. i bought mine less than 1.5 weeks ago for $9 but with tax and other fees, out the door for just under $10k.

i have a 110,000 miles and i dont think it had the timing belt and water pump replaced from what i can tell from looking at the belts.

leather is in really good condition.

i love the car so far.

id say go for it. good luck!

Thank you all!

Well, I took it to a mechanic, J.C. here in Houston area. Did a check of it and found couple of things that need to be done, but not in a big hurry:

1.) Ft/ Struts.........................................................................................$300.00

2.) Resurface rotors (brakes are new,but the surface need to be re-touch)...$70.00

3.) PCV..................................................................................................$14.00

4.) Rack & pinion...................................................................................$550.00

Other than that, we've found it in a very good shape.

My boss mother was the first owner, she got it from him as a gift ( :rolleyes: wanna a son like that one day). She had it for 5 years or so, and drove it about 26K miles. Then he took it because she couldn't drive any more, so he decided to keep it for a bit (4 years or so). She was very good keeping it with all the services done at Lexus dealer. After my boss took it, he was good with regular maintenance, not always Lexus dealershi#@$#$@, but regular oil changes and stuff, always using synthetic mobil oil.

The only known issues, as I posted, were:

1.) A fender bender in the front left bumper. It was repaired at Lexus

2.) Radio LCD is not working properly. I can live with this.

On March 2005, it was checked, oil changed, new brakes, battery, and couple of other things, at Lexus dealersh!#$#@.

He drives pretty good, safetely and slow. So I should say, in that matter, the car is very good.

Finally, I made a deal with him yesterday. I got it for 9K, which I think it's an excellent price for a car like this. Even though if I've to do all what the mechanic said, that would be a total of 9,934, which I still believe is a very good price.

This forum has been very helpful. I'll keep posting, and...

Thank you all!!!

K.

Man, you got a SWEEEEEEEEET deal amigo! I'm suprised that you need a new rack though, it seems a bit premature at that milage! I've got 105k on mine, and no sign of rack problems. Maybe you need new outter tie rod ends? Those are cheap and can be done yourself. Also, the pvc plug, you can get one at autozone for like $4. It takes 4 minutes to replace, it's soooo easy to do. You just pull the rubber boot off, pop out the old pvc, put in the new, put the boot back on, and done. I'll post up a pdf of the proceedure for ya'. It's cake!

Congrats on the new ride! Got any pictures?

I'm very jealous!!!!!

:cheers:

Man, you got a SWEEEEEEEEET deal amigo! I'm suprised that you need a new rack though, it seems a bit premature at that milage! I've got 105k on mine, and no sign of rack problems. Maybe you need new outter tie rod ends? Those are cheap and can be done yourself. Also, the pvc plug, you can get one at autozone for like $4. It takes 4 minutes to replace, it's soooo easy to do. You just pull the rubber boot off, pop out the old pvc, put in the new, put the boot back on, and done. I'll post up a pdf of the proceedure for ya'. It's cake!

Congrats on the new ride! Got any pictures?

I'm very jealous!!!!!

:cheers:

Thanks for the good thoughts!!!

Well, we made the deal, but he's to set up some title issues, and in a week or so I'd have it.

If you can elaborate a little bit more on the "outter tie rod ends" I'd very much appreciate it. I'll take some pictures of what exactly the mechanic showed me that need to be chage on that "rack and pinion" issue, but certainly true, what he wrote down for me was that: " Rack & pinion = $550.00", which he said it was a very good price.

I'll take pictures of all the issues he mentioned, maybe the one regarding the brakes not since I'd have to take out the whole weel, but I'd do for the other 3 to see what do you guys think.

Thank you all, and yeah, I do think I made my self a very good deal!

K.

$550 is a good price.....too good. Especially since the parts cost:

Pinion = msrp of $694 ~ discounted price of $555

Rack = msrp of $290 ~ discounted price of $232

Unless he's got a super cheap source, I don't think you need, or he thinks you need, a full on new rack and pinion. I don't think you do either, not at that mileage and so forth. But post up the pictures he says need replacing. Also, get to know this website....www.parts.com

drill down to lexus and shop away at a good discount.

Look at this diagram of the steering components. Do you see what he's talking about? The outer tie rod ends are #4, at about $45 each. You need two of them. They attach to the wheels, and are usually the first to go in the system.

post-15797-1123684198_thumb.jpg

Look at this diagram of the steering components. Do you see what he's talking about? The outer tie rod ends are #4, at about $45 each. You need two of them. They attach to the wheels, and are usually the first to go in the system.

Thank you, NC211.

We could do better with pictures. But for now, I think he was referring to a greasy sort off leaking, not much though, very subtle, around parts 6 in your diagram.

K.

Man, you got a SWEEEEEEEEET deal amigo! I'm suprised that you need a new rack though, it seems a bit premature at that milage! I've got 105k on mine, and no sign of rack problems.

I don't think it's too far out of the question...well, I guess I can feel his pain since I need a new one also. The worst part about it is my steering is still efforless and precise, but I'm having to add p/s fluid about every month. I guess once my steering gets numb, I'll get it replaced. As these 95's age, I'm starting to think that Lexus didn't address the p/s issues like I originally thought. I've had a new pump and hp lines put in mine, and a rack is in the distant future. I can recall a few other 95/96 owners with similar issues too.

Goyo, congrats on your new car!! :cheers: You did really well with the price. Getting the stereo LCD fixed costs $150 plus shipping. I put off getting mine fixed for about 6 months, but once I had it repaired, I realized what I was missing! It's well worth the $$! $550 for the new rack and pinion is...wow!

Thank you blake918,

I'll post all pictures as soon as I have the car with me, including the radio LCD. Where did you send it to? After I post pictures I might ask you for advice the where and who to contact to get it fix.

Thanks,

K. :)

Yeah I suspect you need at least 1500 after labor in front end repairs. I think the LED in the dash is another hundred bucks. Does it need new tires?

No big deal. The mileage is great and if you fix the issues for 2,000 you could sell the car tomorrow or next year for $13,000. So good deal.. Actually a very good deal for 10,000.

Enjoy the LS. LS400 is an amazing car!!

Thank you blake918,

I'll post all pictures as soon as I have the car with me, including the radio LCD. Where did you send it to? After I post pictures I might ask you for advice the where and who to contact to get it fix.

Thanks,

K. :)

Here's the contact info for the company that does the repair. A huge thanks to George (K9crew) for originally posting this....

Mikado Technology Company

1435 Huntington Avenue, Suite C

South San Francisco

CA 94080

1-888-964-5236

Ask for Sammy, and he'll get you all fixed up!

Here are my before and afters of the radio lcd (I'm sure yours looks similar):

DSC00891.sized.jpg

DSC00915.sized.jpg

Yeah I suspect you need at least 1500 after labor in front end repairs. I think the LED in the dash is another hundred bucks.  Does it need new tires?

No big deal. The mileage is great and if you fix the issues for 2,000 you could sell the car tomorrow or next year for $13,000. So good deal.. Actually a very good deal for 10,000.

Enjoy the LS. LS400 is an amazing car!!

Thanks akewlguy.

Actually, the deal was for $9,000. It has, confirming with the mechanic, at least 80% to go on the tires (Michelin), so no problem here. It has chrome wheels and I might want to put new, more "sporty" later, w/ new tires, but for now I don't have the need, either the money to do it.

If I do all that JC (Houston area) told me, it'll be $1,000 bucks, so I still believe it was a good deal! :cheers:

When researching this car, I saw the KBB and it says 11,000 for private party, so: How come you think I can sell it for $13,000?

:)

Here's the contact info for the company that does the repair. A huge thanks to George (K9crew) for originally posting this....

Mikado Technology Company

1435 Huntington Avenue, Suite C

South San Francisco

CA 94080

1-888-964-5236

Ask for Sammy, and he'll get you all fixed up!

Here are my before and afters of the radio lcd (I'm sure yours looks similar):

DSC00891.sized.jpg

DSC00915.sized.jpg

THX blake918!

Yes, indeed. It's the same problem. I live in Houston, so how would this work? Should I have to uninstall it myself and mail it to Sammy?

How much did it cost for you?

:)

I think that a great deal! Hopefully you can get everything fixed and be on your way!

thanks

Oh, thank you Ed.

As soon as I have it w/me, I'd post pictures.

THNX

Well, I for one think you are getting a terrific deal on that car. I bought our 96 LS 400 in July, 2004, for $12,500 with 103,500 miles, if I remember correctly. You'll love it. Your boss must think a lot of you to give you such a good deal.

Go to your boss with $7,500 in hand and he'll take it. The LS requires the highest octane gasoline, a full tank now costs $55.00 plus. The LS is indeed a fabulous ride, but I'm thinking of selling mine and buying a moped!