Ls400 Performance Parts

RITZ

Hello everyone.

I have a 1990 LS400 and im looking for some 'small' performance upgrades:

-Air filter/Intake Manifold

-Suspension upgrades, stiff and more sporty

-Exhaust system

-Brakes (does anyone like Brembo/StopTech make sets that will fit? Even if i need new rims and such, id like to know my options.)

-Compressors (Superchargers are better for this car i think, but being a Japanese car, a turbo might be more common?)

-Fuel Injectors, Spark Plugs, Headers and such

Im also wondering if it would be possible to swap a Supra engine in :lol: it might make my car get up and go, a little bit better :D

Anything would be helpful.

At the moment there is no budget, but i shouldnt want to go too far over 4k.

As far as bodykits go, i dont really want/need one at the moment. Once i have a car that performs, i will think more about its looks.

there is a brake upgrade set at the site given by sk im also considering it its almost a k but some say its very worth it... a supra engine drop should be on your mind right now for know budget i also am on the same situation... also air intake wont increase too much i have talked ot a bunch of auto shop guys it just makes it sound different u wont notice hp up since its so low like arouind 1-5 from what i remember good luck on your upgrades

Hey ladies and gents.

I think the tint, wheels and tires are good upgrades.. I suspect the Orbitz 7424 and detailing kit I bought will also be a wonderful modification.

I also added the clear front bumper light covers that I like.

i think new suspension and wheels are the 2 big thing our cars needed.

our cars are getting old... the stock suspension are so numby and sway, so why not replace the spring/shox first?

and like akewlguy's car, a set of wheel makes so much differenence...

to be honest with you, except you do a engine swap, there is no way our car will go much faster than lower your car with some chasis enhancement.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I agree that the car has somewhat of a 'limit' so to say on how powerful it can get, but thats fine with me, all the power i should need would be under 300hp i should think.

Ill look into the wheels and tires side, and i think a strut brace might work well. You guys think some BBS LM's with a polished lip would look good? :D

Also, what kind of suspension would you recommend? Ive seen alot of kits for this car, but i was wondering what the best in an opinion would be. Im looking for something stiff, i dont really care much about the luxury/comfort side.

I'm not completely sure about the suspension, but i believe it isn't air ride. But you think the SS lines would improve the braking? Hows that? Im not disagreeing, just wondering. :D

I also went and looked at all the parts on that Luxurymods.com site, and found quite a barrage i would like to get, but im going to have to get them in stages. Brake lines sound like a good first.

It looks to me like you are looking for more horsepower. The very cheapest way to get this is to put on a K&N air filter. Costs 40 bucks and well worth it since you will never have to buy another one. I put one on all my cars and they increase power quite a bit and improbe fuel economy. You can't lose on the deal.

They sell them at alll auto parts stores or you can order online.

Oh and another BIG improvement is installing the Daizen front bushing kit. I'm in the middle of it now.....and my body hurts! I did the upper control arm bushings last week and immediately noticed an improvement in the feel. It feels like a new car again, very cool. It's a TON of work though OMG, I'm dying...I like my desk job more now :D. You'll see more on my site within the next few months.

I agree again with Lexls.

Get the bushings which are cheap but takes a bit to get them installed.

The SS lines imporve the pedal feel by stiffening it from the rubber lines that have aged andallow too much flex under normal braking never mind emergency stops.

It requires less effort to brake and a more equal distribution by only pushing on the calipers pots not the only other flexable point which is the brake lines.

If you think an LS is hard to do bushings.

Come over i still have half of my eneregy suspension bushings for my 89 civic, unbelivable after what i have changed but after the first 10 it is a peice of cake to burn and drill them out.

I prefer the torch to loosen it

a long screwdriver to make a small space to work a hacksaw blade in .

Then after the blade is pushed through the bushing then reattaching it to the handle and pushing down in a weird direction. It makes changing them a 10-15 minute process each.

Getting them out was pretty simple minus a few tough nuts & bolts. Getting the stock bushing out was easy too with my torch. My main problem was putting them back on. I really could have used a hydralic press to push them in. I would push them in and they would pop right back out! The fit was a little too tight (the lower arm bushings). I'll leave it at that cuz I'm off topic here, sorry.

Another note about bushings. I emailed the company and they told me the rear LS bushing kit will be here in about 3-4 months :D.