I Just Got My Ls400 Today!

choiboyogg

i just picked up my 1996 pearl white ls400 with 110,000 miles for $9,000.

i am loving it already.

a couple problems.

my cd changer does not eject.

the right side of my car's speakers dont work.

what should i be getting done to the car? as far as proper maintenance

also, i only have one set of keys. how do i go about getting a backup key and wireless remote?

thanks guys

my_ls400.jpg

I added the pic to your thread for you.

Edited by choiboyogg

Congrats!! She's a sharp looking car in my favorite LS color! :cheers:

Is your CD changer putting an error code on the stereo readout? Does it still play cd's? CD changer failure seems somewhat common for 95-7. Mine has been dead for some time now. It doesn't play CDs, and it holds my mag hostage until I turn the car off. It's showing ERROR 14.

As far as the speakers, maybe a fuse (long shot, but worth a try), loose connection, or more likely, the amp.

Maintinance...change the oil regularly, check the color of the trans fluid (and go from there), check air filter, maybe a new ignition system if you get bored one weekend, and keep her filled with 93 octane and enjoy the ride!

thanks blake.

as far as the ocatane goes, here in california, there is only 91 octane.

should i be putting in octane booster?

i believe i get the error 13 for the cd player. do you plan on getting a new aftermarket head unit?

Octane booster isn't necessary. I forget that there are different octanes for different parts of the country. I've run regular gas before. The car still ran perfectly, but my gas mileage went down the drain.

I think I'll probably just get my changer rebuilt from carstereohelp.com. An aftermarket head unit would probably cost just marginally more than a rebuild ($275), but I don't care for the look of aftermarket units. I like the sound of the stock setup, and I think a aftermarket one would alter the sound some, huh?

CONGRATS on the car :cheers:

and about the cd changer you guys have a problem with your head unit more then likely because i had the same thing happen to min bougt a new head unit everything worked fine for about 3 months then problem came back son got mad at the cd changer one day and punched it and suddenly it came back to life lol but it died again in 2 weeks and i removed my in car phone wiring and then oddly enough it came back alive but now my cars alarm isnt working but alarm for cd changer is a fair trade for me not like im ever going to use it (i have a feeling im going to regret saying that)

-Khalid

Very nice. Before we bought our black 96 we looked at an LS just like that one. Gold package and all. Mileage was low but the price was too high. We got a great deal on our 96 and so did you congrats! Anyway, as for the key issue I would check ebay for a remote. You have to make sure you have the right code so I would check your owners manual. Since its a 96 I am positive its: FCC ID:HYQWDT-C. Check ebay but dont pay thirty for one. Those guys like to rip you off. I paid like 10 for mine. I would also check there for a blank key. Lexus can cut them for you and program the remote. I was lucky enough to get mine programmed for free.

Congrats again!

They look good to me, but keep this in mind:

PLEASE NOTE:  These classic Lexus keys do not have a transponder (they are for vehicles without a factory fitted immobilizer).  They can however be used as a working door or trunk key for cars with an immobilizer (vehicles newer than 1996/1997). These are great 1997+ vechicle spares for those that frequently get locked out of their vehicle.

ok, thanks guys and thanks blake for the clarification.

also, tonight, i decided to take the car around for a night drive. i noticied a couple of things. when i click on the auto feature for the rear view mirror, 3 mirrors went greenish tint. the rear view, and the two side mirrors.

the problem is, on the driver side, a small portion of the mirror didnt fully tint. is there a way to fix that? or is it just way too old?

my passenger side corner light doesnt come on but ill see if its a bulb tomorrow.

also, tonight, i decided to take the car around for a night drive. i noticied a couple of things. when i click on the auto feature for the rear view mirror, 3 mirrors went greenish tint. the rear view, and the two side mirrors.

the problem is, on the driver side, a small portion of the mirror didnt fully tint. is there a way to fix that? or is it just way too old?

my passenger side corner light doesnt come on but ill see if its a bulb tomorrow.

Sorry, I have kinda been out of it for a few days. My computer is messed up and is making me angry. Anyway, The greenish tint on the mirrors is the auto dimming function. My 96 also has a small protion that doesnt want to light up. It almost looks like it peeling off. I will take apicture soon. Most likely its is your bulb. Those are pretty easy to replace. Just undo that screw and pull it out. It has a part that goes into a tab on the headlight assembly so thats whats gonna provide resistance. Just unscrew it and pull it uot. Check the manual for the bulb type since I have forgotten :wacko:

thanks!

Sorry, I have kinda been out of it for a few days. My computer is messed up and is making me angry. Anyway, The greenish tint on the mirrors is the auto dimming function. My 96 also has a small protion that doesnt want to light up. It almost looks like it peeling off. I will take apicture soon. Most likely its is your bulb. Those are pretty easy to replace. Just undo that screw and pull it out. It has a part that goes into a tab on the headlight assembly so thats whats gonna provide resistance. Just unscrew it and pull it uot. Check the manual for the bulb type since I have forgotten :wacko:

thanks!

Very nice car, A little TLC and she'll shine and run like the wind. :cheers::cheers: