Turn Off Vsc On Rx300?

LexKid630

I don't know about the RX, but in my 4Runner, when you turn off the VSC, it's when you have to have the car in 4WD, and the center differntial is locked. On dry surfaces, it provides a kind of chatter when accelerating and making turns, not good for the transmission, drivetrain, or tires. In heavy sand, it's possible to do 4 wheel drifts with a roostertail from all 4 wheels; makes a cool picture. B)

On ice it's just dangerous. :lol:

Basically you wouldn't notice VSC was off until you needed it. But then the need is extremely rare if you're a careful driver. Mine is a 2001 with 45k miles and I only know of one time the VSC activated.

Much worse would be the loss of Trac on a FWD or front torque biased AWD vehicle.

Basically you wouldn't notice VSC was off until you needed it. But then the need is extremely rare if you're a careful driver. Mine is a 2001 with 45k miles and I only know of one time the VSC activated.

Much worse would be the loss of Trac on a FWD or front torque biased AWD vehicle.

don't they have a "TRAC OFF" button on the FWD models? why would someone want it off?

Yes there are TRAC OFF buttons in 2WD models of Toyotas and Lexuses that have the Vehicle Skid Control (VSC). If you had a 2WD model and say, got stuck in deep mud or sand, turning the VSC off allows full engine power to be sent to the 2 drive wheels, and not have the detection of wheel slippage activate the VSC and take power away from the slipping wheels.

Yes there are TRAC OFF buttons in 2WD models of Toyotas and Lexuses that have the Vehicle Skid Control (VSC).  If you had a 2WD model and say, got stuck in deep mud or sand, turning the VSC off allows full engine power to be sent to the 2 drive wheels, and not have the detection of wheel slippage activate the VSC and take power away from the slipping wheels.

I thought so....that must be why only 2WD cars have the trac off button, and AWD cars don't. I understand. ;)

The VSC system activates if the vehicle is not following the "line" designated by the driver's use, postion, of the stearing wheel.

So pretty much if i was sliding on ice etc, it would kick in?

Well, no.

VSC will activate only momentarily at the very beginning of over-stearing, a spin, it either works or it doesn't.

What does VSC feel like when it does kick in anyway?

You can hear a slight clicking noise around where the petals are on the floor, and even if you push in the gas pedal all the way, it will not send power to the engine or wheels until the computer senses that all 4 wheels are spinning at the same rate, and that the car is not moving sideways, as opposed to in a straight line. A light with a car and squiggly tracks behind it blinks intermittently while the system is working and lets of short "beepbeepbeepbeepbeep's" until the system recognizes the car is under control.

What does VSC feel like when it does kick in anyway?

You can hear a slight clicking noise around where the petals are on the floor, and even if you push in the gas pedal all the way, it will not send power to the engine or wheels until the computer senses that all 4 wheels are spinning at the same rate, and that the car is not moving sideways, as opposed to in a straight line. A light with a car and squiggly tracks behind it blinks intermittently while the system is working and lets of short "beepbeepbeepbeepbeep's" until the system recognizes the car is under control.

Coooolll B)

When does VSC get activated anyway? How does it know when to be activated?

I did some testing in the snow last winter. (playing) I thought it was gonna be more of a "send the power to the wheel that has traction. I punched the gas as I was turning right at the corner. That got the rear end sliding out to the left. I tried to keep on the gas to continue the slide. It wouldn't let me. It does start beeping. It reduced the power and actually applied the break to the left front wheel and got me pointed strait again. Happens in a split second.

i dont understand how it knows your slipping..does it sense one wheel is moving diff. than the others?

i believe it it senses that the wheel is rotating faster than the other ones. if u need more information on that, since all stability controls are the same, u should watch the movie clip on the mercedes website, for ESP. http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/...280W&class=06_C, click on the yellow arrow next to the name