Question Regarding Gauge

The only thing i have read is you have about three gallons left when the low fuel light comes on. I am sure you have been told it is critical to NEVER run out of gas in this vehicle so its a good idea to get in the habit of refueling sooner than you would in a conventional SUV.

I was checking out the dashboard of 400h's today, and saw that there isn't a tach.  Why is that?  Only a gauge to show the use of the hybrid system. :blink:

I commented on the 400h's instrumentation a while back. I think the Kw gauge is a waste. I guess it was easy for Lexus to replace the tach with the Kw gauge and go on down the road. They could have come up with a lot more useful gauges than Kw (oil pressure, etc.). But, I don't want to start another thread on the 400h's shortcomings. ;)

I was checking out the dashboard of 400h's today, and saw that there isn't a tach.  Why is that?  Only a gauge to show the use of the hybrid system. :blink:

Does any of the hybrids have a tach? It may be totally unnecessary if the vehicle utilizes a CV transmission. The KW gage is like a boost gage - more entertaining than necessary.

Does any of the hybrids have a tach? It may be totally unnecessary if the vehicle utilizes a CV transmission. The KW gage is like a boost gage - more entertaining than necessary.

Don't know about the Highlander, but Honda's do. What if high RPM cruising was a problem area in the Hybrid as it was in the RX300? How would one be able to figure that out? :wacko:

Here's a Civic Hybrid dash:

hybrid-civic-dash.jpg

I use it to see which braking methods produced the higher charge. With it, I've been able to figure out that subtle braking methods can really make quite a difference in battery recharging - dipping into the blue farther for different distance/speed/brake pressure. I'm not sure how much I'm benefitting in the grand scheme, but it certainly must help, and is fun too.

I must agree that a tach would have been good, and they could have the smaller kwh guage next to it.

I don't think it does - don't see it in the manual. lexus probably omitted it on purpose, so drivers are prompted to refuel when the gauge is approaching empty, rather than reasoning that they still have [x] gallons left.

i couldve gone 2 lexus my self but after several reports of the pics being diff. than real life i thought some of u may have your H dashpics on hand so 4get it...

That picture looks the same as my dash. The thing that the Lexus pictures don't show well is the exterior colors.

I think the idea of the kW guage is okay, but the execution could be improved. In theory, I don't mind having it instead of a tack. In any high power output situation, a lot of the power will be coming from the engine so its position should be somewhat proportional to how hard the engine is running.

Like Philly, I find it useful for guaging my braking pressure. In particular, I watch for the point where pushing harder on the brake doesn't move the needle more since that means the pads are providing the additional braking. In the other direction, point where it goes from the dashed area around the zero to the solid is the point where it will usually turn the engine on (though if the batteries are low or during initial warm-up it may turn the engine on sooner).

What they did wrong, IMO, was to have so little resolution on the guage. As you can see from the picture, only 3 numbers are marked on it (and only the 100 even has a tick on the circle - the 0 and the 200 are just fuzzy locations). Also, in the same space they could have added some indication of how much of the energy was coming from the engine versus the motors which would give a closer idea of how fast the engine is having to turn over.

Does Lexus ever ask average Joes like us what we think about cars features before they put them into production???  Example:  400h--kW gauge, no satellite radio, poor choice of colors, etc.

True, the Gauge, I don't care about but would like a dual needle/tach.

Miss my Breakwater blue, Had to install my commander XM radio.

Things are well now.

Perhaps there will be an firmware update to help some mileage issues.

• 4 weeks later...
does anyone else think they should make everything digital? Like instead of having gauges, just have a readout of speed etc? What century are we in already? LOL

I'll vote for digital. My 1994 Cadillac Deville has digital, and I like it a lot better than the gages on the 400H (although I think the 400h is still a great car!).