My Jerking Lex

Lex 400

My LS 400 starts jerking at about 40mph. It seems that the faster i go the harsher the jerking gets. the rmp needle goes down a couple hundred rpm and then back up to normal when it jerks. It also only jerks when my foot is on the gas pedel and moving down the road. If i let go of the gas pedal the jerking stops. The jerking seems to be a random because it does it whenever it feels like it. There are times when it is just fine. When i pull up to a stop light it seems to idle fine around 600 to 650. I would apreciate any ideas on tracking down the jerking.

My 95ls400 has the same problem, I find there are four jerks I can feel slightly around 30mph,40mph,60mph,70mph if I don't keep gas pedal deeper. I am plan to clean the ATF strainer today or tomorrow if it helps. I will let you know.

I had similar symptoms with my 93 LS that went away after I put in a new Ignition wireset, a new set of plugs and new rotors and caps. I think I could have gotten by with just the wireset though, when I removed several of the wires from the sparkplug, the sparkplug wire separated and a portion of the wire stayed attached to the plug. Runs smooth as silk after replacing the ignition parts. That's the first place I would look for your problem.

Hate to say it....but it's probably the ecu unit. Is it a 95 LS400 or 96?

My 95ls400 has the same problem, I find there are four jerks I can feel slightly around 30mph,40mph,60mph,70mph if I don't keep gas pedal deeper. I am plan to clean the ATF strainer today or tomorrow if it helps. I will let you know.

Oil strainer cleaned, what a mess work! ride seems fine than before but no big different,

Go out and night and start the car. Look under the hood at the spark plug wires. If they arc, you have a problem, sometimes you can even hear it. I'd take obergs advice first as he has a pretty good handle on these cars.

Just purchased a '93 LS400 about 2 months ago. Within 2 weeks, same "jerking" problem occured. Thankfully was simply one of the ignition wires shorting out. New set of wires + 1 &1/2 hrs. labor, approx $300.00. Runs incredibly now ! I'd reccomend to anyone experiencing any "misfiring" issues to have wires checked 1st. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It is a 92 LS400 and i keep it properly maintained just had a tuneup and oil change 3 week ago. I will try a new wire set first it is pretty much the only thing i have not changed in a long time.

Just purchased a '93 LS400 about 2 months ago. Within 2  weeks, same "jerking" problem occured. Thankfully was simply one of the ignition wires shorting out.  New set of wires + 1 &1/2 hrs. labor, approx $300.00. Runs incredibly now ! I'd reccomend to anyone experiencing any "misfiring" issues to have wires checked 1st. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It is a 92 LS400 and i keep it properly maintained just had a tuneup and oil change 3 week ago. I will try a new wire set first it is pretty much the only thing i have not changed in a long time.

a tune-up usually means new wires and plugs plus air and fuel filter