Should I Buy

mambodave

Hi all...New here.

Im looking at a 92 LS400 one owner with 204 on the clock. She has every record from new with oil changes every 5k and up to date dealer servicing. The car looks brand new.

Im having a bit of trouble gettin over the milage.

Can someone talk me into why I should get it? Im not that familiar with these. Its an impluse buy and the price is right. I just happen to come across it. And thought, hey, i could use it as an extra car for that price (~4k)

I bought a 91 LS new and now have 198K miles - just replaced timeing belt and did major tune up, collant flush, tranny flush etc - Car runs ad drives (almost) same as it did 14 years ago. Expect to get at least 300K miles. Al long as the car was maintained well it shoud be fine. I would have an independent check it out.

Good luck.

I wouldn't let the mileage scare you as long as it drives well. Make sure you are thorough in your test drive and inspection since those dealer servicings are mainly concerned with fluids, tire rotations, and road tests (Save 60 and 90k which are plugs and timing belt/w pump respectively. all are good to do, but they certainly aren't indicative of the car's condition.) My LS has nearly 260k miles, and it is the most reliable car we've ever owned! I'm expecting at least 350k-400k miles out of this car if not more. I want to beat that guy in the Lexus magazine with 550k miles!

The worst part about LSs are the repairs since parts are expensive and most tasks are not quick (time wise)=costly. I guess in the end it all works out, since they hardly need servicing!

As said before, don't let the mileage scare you! All that matters is that it was taken care of correctly. I have heard of the LS going over 400,000 miles.

In 1990 i had my "first" Lexus Ls400. Since i have to travel a TON each day to work (about 1150 miles a week), i end up traveling over 61,000 miles a year, with family trips etc.

In 1992 the Ls already had over 125,000 miles on it, so i decided that i needed another car to break up the mileage better. So i got a Lexus Sc400. Then in 1993 i fell in love with the Es300, so i got one (but i didn't use this as often)

Bottom line...in 1997 The Ls400 had over 350,000 miles on it and it was still going!! NOTHING, and i mean NOTHING ever broke on it the whole 7 years i had it!! I only traded it in 97 to get the new 1998 Ls400.

In my honest opinion, the 1990-2000 Ls400's were the best built cars ever in existance!

I think you may be able to find one with 100k less miles for about 6,500 bucks.. Then you could have a great car for 200k.. One issue is every 100k they need timing belt and front end checked out.. Also if the power steering pump has not been changed check it out (they leak).

Also when its cold the dash goes dark.. Ask about this.. Check the Laymens for Laymens buying guide.. Its awesome!

Cheers and when you get it you will enjoy!

Today I met this lady and she bought a new ES330. She loves it and says its very big compared to the 3 Series BMW.. I told her LEXUS is great and she will love it, but then tought about my LS and knew who had the better car!

You made an excellent choice. Even the totally neglected LS's will sell for at least $2500-$3,000, and with yours you have an excellent Dealer maintenance history all the way, which is harder to find with the mileage you have. There is another LS on E-Bay right now, a 91, with nearly 330k miles and it is still selling for over $3k!

Since you did make an impulse purchase I would still recommend spending a measly $100 and having Lexus perform their 150 point inspection. It is worth it's weight in gold.

Read the forum on the common issues with the car and if you are even somewhat handy you can do many services and repairs yourself. Lexls.com has offered terrific tutorials, and I also recommend finding the Lexus Shop Manuals which are also very helpful (or use the Toyota Tech Website and download the manuals). I have also found that many parts can be purchased somewhat inexpensively, OEM parts from places like Irontoad.com. For aftermarket parts I like RockAuto.com

Do you have air suspension, Nakamichi, CD Changer, can you post some pics?

Congrats and welcome! :cheers:

You made an excellent choice. Even the totally neglected LS's will sell for at least $2500-$3,000, and with yours you have an excellent Dealer maintenance history all the way, which is harder to find with the mileage you have. There is another LS on E-Bay right now, a 91, with nearly 330k miles and it is still selling for over $3k!

Since you did make an impulse purchase I would still recommend spending a measly $100 and having Lexus perform their 150 point inspection. It is worth it's weight in gold.

Read the forum on the common issues with the car and if you are even somewhat handy you can do many services and repairs yourself. Lexls.com has offered terrific tutorials, and I also recommend finding the Lexus Shop Manuals which are also very helpful (or use the Toyota Tech Website and download the manuals). I have also found that many parts can be purchased somewhat inexpensively, OEM parts from places like Irontoad.com. For aftermarket parts I like RockAuto.com

Do you have air suspension, Nakamichi, CD Changer, can you post some pics?

Congrats and welcome! :cheers:

Thanks.... I had a ppi done and its clean. It just had a major dealer service at 185 with new brakes, rotors, full tune up, timing belt among other small stuff.

It has air suspension, traction control, Nakamichi and Cd changer.

post-19442-1122218526_thumb.jpg

post-19442-1122218557_thumb.jpg