Warning!

When my old RX got a tiny dent at the dealership they sent it to a nearby shop. I never researched to find out if they had an interest in it because the owners have their own body shop. Anyway, they did provide (Lexus dealership) their own loaner (free) during the time the car was out.

There are quite a few "Dent-fixer"-type companies around here. However, they don't paint, so any damage requiring repaint must be repaired by a body shop. Minor or paint damage-free dings could be fixed at the dealership. They would simply call one of the mobile services and have it done.

Actually, the Lexus dealerships around here do not do body work repairs. One sends its customers to the Chevy dealership, one to a Mercedes body shop, and one to the nearby Toyota Collision center (which is where we brought our 400h).

The body shop doesn't provide a loaner vehicle, so we had to rent one from the local Enterprise.

Finally, I received a call from the body shop yesterday, telling me that the bumper is in (after 2 weeks of ordering it). Our RX has been in the shop for more than three weeks and we are VERY anxious to pick it up tomorrow. However, we WON'T be looking forward to paying for the rental Maxima up front.

Thanks for the support, everyone. Remember, don't let that front bumper get damaged!

So it did come in on Wednesday, just not the one you thought. :( Glad to hear you are finally on the road to getting your RX400H back.

My god! The rental bill must be insane...

It is and getting worse by the day. The other thing is that we were getting spoiled by the NAV. Now we feel like lost nomads in the Sahara!

"If you can determine the part number for the bumper or any other Lexus part then you can search the parts inventories of Lexus dealers nationwide at http://www.partsvoice.com/partsvoice/conte...part.html"

The Lexus parts guy did scan the country and found zero - nada front bumper covers for the 2006 RX400h. Ours is coming from Japan.

And this is an example of the great customer support. Sorry friend, good luck with your bumper search.

Well, we finally picked up the RX400h last night. After a $1000 rental car bill, a noticed screw sticking out of one of the front tires (RX400h), and a $500 deductible payment, we were on our way. Boy, does it feel good to smell that new leather again! One of the things that irritated me the most about that rental Maxima was the dang air vents - the wouldn't pivot left to right, just up and down. What were they (Nissan) thinking?

Anyway, we're anxious to continue to put more miles on the Lex (only 3000 miles at present) and enjoy the NAV once more! Thanks again for the advice and support, everyone.

Dave

Did they at least do a good job?

Yes. We really scrutinized the color match, bumper fit and finish. Our RX was actually the third (including the wrong RX330 bumper cover) Bamboo Pearl bumper they painted within the last five weeks, so they certainly had some practice. I'm anxious to look at it under full sun, as it was overcast when we picked it up. Still, I'll bet the color is perfect under the sun as well.

• 10 months later...

Most Lexus dealers don't do body repairs. Glad it looks like its resolved!

My dealer in Wilmington, DE also doesn't do body. Do you know why Lexus dealers have chosen not to have body shops? My insurance company sent me to a Chevy dealer (fat chance!) Found an independent shop to fix my front bumper ($3K - ouch.) They did a beautiful job.

Most Lexus dealers don't do body repairs. Glad it looks like its resolved!

My dealer in Wilmington, DE also doesn't do body. Do you know why Lexus dealers have chosen not to have body shops? My insurance company sent me to a Chevy dealer (fat chance!) Found an independent shop to fix my front bumper ($3K - ouch.) They did a beautiful job.

My guess is that many recommend the Toyota collision centers for that kind of work. This is what we found to be the case for one of the three Lexus dealerships near us. One dealership recommended a Mercedes body shop and the other, the Chevy dealership shop. Keep in mind, though, that many Chevy body shops work on Corvettes and believe me, Corvette owners tend to picky after spending over $50K for a vehicle.